MERGED --> Episode III: Revenge of the Sith + Got to see the new Star Wars film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that didn't take too long...

Final 'Star Wars' film leaked to the Internet

By Adam Pasick

LONDON (Reuters) - The final chapter of the Star Wars saga has gone over to the Internet's dark side.

"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" has been leaked onto a major file-sharing network just hours after opening in theaters, at a time when Hollywood is increasingly concerned about online piracy.

At least two copies of the film, which was first shown in theaters in the early hours of Thursday, have been posted to the BitTorrent file-sharing network -- a new and increasingly popular technology that allows users to download large video files much more quickly than in the past.

The Motion Picture Association of America has been aggressive in going after Web sites that provide "tracker" links that enable BitTorrent downloads of copyrighted material, including six lawsuits this week against sites with links to TV shows.

According to Web site Waxy.org (http:/www.waxy.org), one print was leaked on Wednesday before the film was even released in theaters. The movie was time-stamped, suggesting it may have come from within the industry rather than from someone who videotaped an advance screening.

One popular tracker Web site showed more than 16,000 people currently downloading the film via BitTorrent.

Hollywood is trying to avoid the fate of the music industry, which claims it has lost hundreds of millions of dollars worth of sales to illicit file-sharing networks.

Movie files are about 50 times larger than music files, which makes them much more cumbersome to download, but new technologies like BitTorrent and increased high-speed Internet penetration are closing the gap.

Lucasfilm Ltd and the MPAA were not immediately available for comment.

MrsSpringsteen said:
OMG, how geeky :wink:

Geeky were the two high school kids at the front of the line. Not only did they have that bleary eyed look like they already saw the midnight or 3:00am showing, but they also had their trust lightsabers clipped to their belts.

I saw it last night. My friends and I went in bathrobes in an attempt to be geekily ironic but I don't think it worked. :wink:

I really liked it! I went in expecting it to suck, but at last Lucas pulled it off. Except for the fate of Padme...booooo!!! Either go all the way and have him kill her, or let her live--otherwise how does Leia remember her??? (I always thought she died to protect them, which would have been much more in character.)

AvsGirl41 said:
I saw it last night. My friends and I went in bathrobes in an attempt to be geekily ironic but I don't think it worked. :wink:

I really liked it! I went in expecting it to suck, but at last Lucas pulled it off. Except for the fate of Padme...booooo!!! Either go all the way and have him kill her, or let her live--otherwise how does Leia remember her??? (I always thought she died to protect them, which would have been much more in character.)

Let's not forget that Leia tells Luke she remembers her mother as both beautiful and singing to her.

Georgie, I can't see even the most devoted being able to fan-wank this one. :rolleyes:

See, she uses the force as a child and sees a vision of her mother, just as Luke later sees visions of Obiwan. Ha. :wink:

You do realize that this is how childrens games are played don't you? Nothing is unexplainable after the fact :p

Of all the Original Trilogy plot points to miss, this one was on everyone's radar screen.

The "certain point of view" line was addressed a couple of times.

OnoBsiDog said:
The mother Leia remebers is her adopted mother...:wink:

Even though Luke says "real mother" (of course then you could employ the 'certain point of view' thing). And as far as Leia having visions of Padme... Padme is untrained in the force and presumably not even force sensitive. It is overwhelmingly improbable that at her death she was able to become one with the force. According to Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn was more or less the first Jedi in recorded history to learn the skill anyway.

nbcrusader said:

Geeky were the two high school kids at the front of the line. Not only did they have that bleary eyed look like they already saw the midnight or 3:00am showing, but they also had their trust lightsabers clipped to their belts.

Yeah, that's geeky

I caved, I just got back. It was crowded but not sold out, my theater has it on 5 screens. The ending disappointed me, I guess I was expecting some colossal "bang" and it just ended w/ sort of a whimper. The action was fantastic, and Yoda rocks :wink: My favorite as a kid was always R2D2. I guess you can start to see political/Bush/Iraq themes, that was already in my head so I was just predisposed to thinking about that during the movie. Hayden has improved but I was still a little disappointed in him, the scenes w/ Natalie were sort of awkward and lacking.

I can't believe I missed George Lucas, I read he's in a scene very briefly. Did anyone catch that?

Plenty of Ewan too, that made me very happy :D Only he could make that outfit look good.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The ending disappointed me, I guess I was expecting some colossal "bang" and it just ended w/ sort of a whimper. The action was fantastic, and Yoda rocks :wink: My favorite as a kid was always R2D2. I guess you can start to see political/Bush/Iraq themes, that was already in my head so I was just predisposed to thinking about that during the movie. Hayden has improved but I was still a little disappointed in him, the scenes w/ Natalie were sort of awkward and lacking.

If you think about it, the saga as a whole is bittersweet. I thought the ending was especially touching considering the parallels with Episode 4.

Also, Hayden and Portman have improved considerably from that ackward mess of a budding relationship shown in Episode 2. Not the model of a love story in Episode 3, but not so "fingernails on a chalkboard" like last movie.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I can't believe I missed George Lucas, I read he's in a scene very briefly. Did anyone catch that?

I caught him. He was actually quite prominent on the screen, though the action was away from his character. (I can PM you the scene to avoid spoiling it for others).

Even though Luke says "real mother" (of course then you could employ the 'certain point of view' thing).

I'm actually curious; when does Leia actually know that her parents in Alderaan weren't her real parents. I.e. In 'A New Hope' she refers to her father as 'my father'. Off-hand I can't recall when it was made clear to us that she knew she was even adopted. Maybe someone can jog my memory?

Ant.

UnforgettableLemon said:

Even though Luke says "real mother" (of course then you could employ the 'certain point of view' thing). And as far as Leia having visions of Padme... Padme is untrained in the force and presumably not even force sensitive. It is overwhelmingly improbable that at her death she was able to become one with the force. According to Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn was more or less the first Jedi in recorded history to learn the skill anyway.

Regardless of whether or not Padme was Force-sensitive, it's clear that Leia is. That's why she was able to hear Luke's call for help at the end of Empire Strikes Back. So while she may have only been in her mothers presence for a mere moment, it's possible that the Force imprinted her mother's spirit onto her. She was also in the womb for 9 months so it's possible the Force was working its magic there as well.

Besides, when you have memories of your infant years, they're not exactly clear. All Leia says is that Padme was beautiful and sad. She was certainly looking both of those things throughout the entire film.

Plot hole filled. Oh yeah, and that was one of the greatest movie experiences of my entire life.

laz

skjuls said:

I hear ya, I love EWAN!!

and somebody in the I have seen it thread, made fun of his mole or whatever, calling it a pimple!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I talked about the mole or pimple or whatever...

you're telling me that's beign there ALL THE TIME?.. I never noticed... sorry

but it DID upset me... couldn't take my eyes away from it :|

Great movie, it was good to see George finally got it completely right again. Episode 1 was mediocre (other than Darth Maul) and 1/2 of Episode 2 seemed right to me (the beginning of the Clone Wars). Episode 3 finally had that same effect on me that the original trilogy did. Its to bad we had to suffer through most of Ep 1 and 1/2 of Ep 2 to get the pay off. But it was worth it!

My only minor complaint was that Tarkin only had about 10 seconds of screen time at the end. It would have been nice to get some kind of understanding why he is so high ranking and seems to have so much influence on Vader in Ep 4.

Also, did anyone else spot the M. Falcon landing at the Senate Headquarters? For some reason it caught my eye.

I think we are going to see it here tomorrow. woo! I can't really believe that it is opening all the way over here in the middle of Africa so early!

Thinking it's going to be good that it's dubbed in French. That way the clunky dialogue won't distract me from the action and FX. :D

UnforgettableLemon said:

Let's not forget that Leia tells Luke she remembers her mother as both beautiful and singing to her.

Georgie, I can't see even the most devoted being able to fan-wank this one. :rolleyes:

That's the first thing I thought too. I was hoping they'd show something interesting and exciting of how she died when Leia was a child. Just another thing that doesn't make sense when Lucas goes goofing around with his story.

I also have a problem with him going back doctoring stuff and not letting you have the original if you prefer it. Speilberg changed the ET scene to walkie talkies but he also provided the original. U2 redid Pop songs but you can still buy the original. Lucas wants all the old stuff off the market and destroyed. He's losing his mind, I think. While the rights may belong to him, the stories are part of pop culture and belong to us all. We have a right to remember them the way we like.

lazarus said:

Regardless of whether or not Padme was Force-sensitive, it's clear that Leia is. That's why she was able to hear Luke's call for help at the end of Empire Strikes Back. So while she may have only been in her mothers presence for a mere moment, it's possible that the Force imprinted her mother's spirit onto her. She was also in the womb for 9 months so it's possible the Force was working its magic there as well.

Besides, when you have memories of your infant years, they're not exactly clear. All Leia says is that Padme was beautiful and sad. She was certainly looking both of those things throughout the entire film.

Plot hole filled. Oh yeah, and that was one of the greatest movie experiences of my entire life.

laz

Luke was in the same womb the same time and he didn't have those images. This was a big blunder for Lucas, I can't believe it.

Now fill this, Laz:

If Darth is so damn strong with the force, why was he not able to feel out the babies, or Obi Wan in that cave, all those years? He didn't even know Leia was his child until he sensed it in Luke in the fight scene of Jedi. Come on!

U2Kitten said:

If Darth is so damn strong with the force, why was he not able to feel out the babies, or Obi Wan in that cave, all those years? He didn't even know Leia was his child until he sensed it in Luke in the fight scene of Jedi. Come on!

I think Obi-Wan knew how to shield himself--they didn't sense that Palpatine was the Sith Lord, so it must be a fairly common Jedi trick. He sensed him when he boarded the Death Star--but Obi-Wan was basically looking for him.

Vader didn't know she was pregnant with twins--and he thought the one child died with her. And the first time he senses Luke is when Luke is already semi-trained in the Force--but only

bly did sense that Leia was Force-sensitive (he mentions she was resistant to torture) but he probably just didn't care. He wouldn't neccessarily go oh, she must be my kid.

My theory, anyway. My mom says Lucas just made Luke and Leia related so that Han could have the girl without any qualms. :laugh:

It is interesting - sensing another seems like a shaky ability at best. When Anakin visited Padme at their apartment, he could sense that Obi-Wan had been there. Flash forward to the Death Star, when Vader senses something - something he had not sensed since being with Obi-Wan.

Back
Top Bottom