MERGED ----> Depeche Mode Playing The Angel + New DEPECHE MODE Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd been meaning to get this for a while and finally got it yesterday after waiting in vain for the price to drop to $9.99. :lol: I try to avoid buying CDs at 13.99 or more if I can. But I guess this album is too niche for it to ever go on sale! :shrug:

Anyway, on first listen I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be! All the glowing reviews had really built the album up in my mind as a 'back to the glory days of Violator' type masterpiece! But apart from A Pain That I'm Used To and of course the gorgeous Precious :love:, I couldn't really get into anything else. But after the 2nd and 3rd listens, I can certainly appreciate a few more tracks like John The Revelator, The Sinner In Me and Lilian. :dance:

I love how this is an 'album' meaning one with a 'theme' of pain and suffering, instead of just a collection of songs that sound like their glory days a la greatest hits feel! Not thrilled about that obvious note on the back of the case though that says 'pain and suffering in various tempos'! That said, it's so full of interesting sounds and layers that I get the feeling it's gonna be a fun ride listening to it and discovering new things about it as the months pass.

Zootlesque said:
Anyway, on first listen I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be!

But after the 2nd and 3rd listens, I can certainly appreciate a few more tracks like John The Revelator, The Sinner In Me and Lilian. :dance:

That said, it's so full of interesting sounds and layers that I get the feeling it's gonna be a fun ride listening to it and discovering new things about it as the months pass.

You know, that was my initial impression of the CD, too. I bought it over iTunes when it first came out so I could get the presale code for tour tickets. Listened to the whole thing and the only ones I really liked were "Precious" and "A Pain That I'm Used To."

Went to the concert and gained a better appreciation for the album. I now also really like "John The Revelator" and "Suffer Well."

It sounds like we'll both be listening to it and discovering new things over time...

Livi

Back
Top Bottom