MERGED-->Coldplay Live-Please Post All Comments Here!! + live broadcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
Coldplay in Boston last night!!!

Was anyone else there last night ? What a GREAT show. I've been looking forward to this show for weeks now, and it surpassed my expectations. I never knew that Chris Martin had such a likeable stage presence (since I'd never seen them before). Telling jokes, laughing during many of the songs, just getting completely and totally into his performance. I just think it's great when a performer really seems like they're truly enjoying themselves...I've been too too many shows when people are out there acting like they're doing everyone a favor by singing. It was just beyond words!! :) They played a good size set too.... I think there were probably only a handful of songs that they didnt play from the 2 albums. I cant wait until they come back again! :D

Re: we should make one "coldplay live" thread, hehe

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Awesome, what song was that when you called me on your cell? lol

:wave:

Check your email!! I have no clue because I didnt call you....lol I think my cell phone is possessed!! :macdevil:

FleetBoston Pavilion, Section 1, Row HH, Seat 1.

Yeah, I was there.

Yeah, it was incredible.

I was actually going to do a new post, but considering this one is here already, I'll just put my thoughts down right now.

After seeing Coldplay live, and hearing all the jibber-jabber about how they're very similar to U2 etc., here my thoughts on why Coldplay will never be as big or popular as U2 unless they change some things.

1. The Piano Man. Sorry, doesn't work. I LOVE the piano as part of the performance, but it makes Chris Martin turn into Thom Yorke from Radiohead, hunched over the keys, unable to engage with the crowd. At least when he had a guitar he was hopping around. During the encore he did sing their new single (and I apologize, I have both albums and listen to them constantly, but in my car so I don't know the titles to any of their songs :eek: ) without a guitar or the piano, and it made such a difference. He actually was able to be a frontman and make that connection with the audience. He needs to do more of that, big time.

2. How Long Must We Sing This Song. This band is already in dangerous territory if it doesn't get another hit. Yellow is a good song, but considering the reaction it and the other songs from Parachutes got from the crowd compared to the new material, I think Coldplay is running the risk of being known for one song. There are a couple of songs from their new album that got real good reactions from the crowd that might result in more hits. We'll have to see. I don't listen to the radio, so what do I know?

3. Turn It Up! I know they're never going to be a heavy-hitting band. Chris actually mentioned this at one point, relating a story about how last time they were in Boston they were playing with Aerosmith and Korn and Stained and stuff and it was a very trying experiance. However, during the live performances, I think they need to take their heavier songs and really work on the endings. They always have these great jams, and then stick a mellow ending on. That's fine some of the time, but I think it turns into a letdown for the crowd sometimes.

4. Setlist. Politik is not a great opener. I think it belonged in the middle of the set, and maybe Rush of Blood to the Head used as the opener, although I thought they could've made it harder hitting. This song has so much potential live IMO. Yellow was in the wrong place. Put it as the last song of the main set, or in the encore. If that's what the audiance wants, make 'em wait and put their energy into the entire show. I thought that a good number of fans seemed to check out after Yellow. Maybe it was just my section.

I know it seems that I'm really critical of the band. I'm not. I just think that if they're going to attain the kind of level that U2 has attained, then they need to fine-tune their live approach. But then again, they've only put out two albums. As long as they don't fall apart (which is aparently a hazard according to a Q interview with them) and don't become known only for Yellow, they should do alright.

Anyway, great show last night. Will definately continue to follow this band and see what they do in years to come.

What was the setlist? Did they actually play "A Rush of Blood to the Head"?

As for the piano man comment, I really couldn't disagree more. I enjoy Chris at the piano... he gets so emotional. That being said I also love him jumping around on stage, but I think they have a fine balance in their show.

Angel said:
What was the setlist? Did they actually play "A Rush of Blood to the Head"?

As for the piano man comment, I really couldn't disagree more. I enjoy Chris at the piano... he gets so emotional. That being said I also love him jumping around on stage, but I think they have a fine balance in their show.

I havent got a copy of the actual setlist... but they did do a Rush of Blood to the Head! And I agree with you Angel about him being at the piano - that was part of what I found so entertaining...I loved the way he literally got into the music, whether he was playing an instrument or just dancing etc...he really seemed to be feeding off the crowd.

And just in response to the thing about the Aerosmith comment - it was basically Chris saying that last time they were in Boston, they opened for Aerosmith and were not very well recieved by the crowd ,as they were used to having hard rock bands as openers (like Korn :barf: or stained)... and he said that there is no way they ever would or will be considered a heavy rock band! Which is fine with me... too many of those type of bands out right now. IMO - they dont need to change their sound at all - they have the fan base to prove that!

Their not just known for YELLOW outside the USA. When I first heard them in Scotland, the big song there was DON'T PANIC. My friend in Italy says TROUBLE is huge there. The first album which was released less than two years ago has sold over 5 million copies worldwide! The new album debuted in the top 5 of nearly every album chart on the planet when the album was released. Coldplay is way ahead of where U2 was in 1982(2 years after the Boy release) in terms of the business. Of course no one knows what the future holds. But jeez, this band has not been out for even 2 years yet. Give them some time and a few more albums at least.

Just got back from seeing them at Jones Beach (NY). Incredible show, they rocked on Shiver. Seems like they livened things up a bit on the material from Parachutes. In my place was beautiful. It was quite funny when Chris strarting taking shots at 'NSYNC. He even sang a little "bye, bye, bye." If this band can stick around, they could be huge. My only complaint (well, it's not really a complaint), they lack a little diversity. Too many songs sound similar. I realize this a problem with all new bands, I'm just looking forward to hearing them in 5-10 years when they've matured. Great show!!!

Zooropa-- I was also at the show! It was a great show and I loved hearing some of the new songs live. So cool....aside from the lame asses who kept commenting on the fact that we were standing up and they couldn't see the stage. Morons! Its a rock concert! argh!

but overall, lots of fun and good show.

Kickass!

I'm glad to hear you had such a great time Kathleen!!! I finally got a copy of Parachutes, and it's great!!!

Coldplay rocks T.O.

OOOhhhhhh.....

What an AMAZING SHOW! PArt of this is due to Chirs yelling "Everybody come on down..." There was about 15 seconds of stunned silence....then a mad dash as everyone ran for the front. Poor Chris was like, "AH shit....I...everyone just BE CAREFUL!" And so since the crowd was filling up the aisles, they opened up the front, creating a mini-mosh pit/chill place for fans. It was like being in the front row (Which, technically, it was!)

The actual show was great. The band looks like they have so much fun out there (Christ taking a helium balloon and trying to sing like a Chipmunk)....singing Nelly's "Hot in Here" or Jovi's "Living on a Prayer..." on interrupting the show to say "Look, this is an arena band now so we have to be an arena crowd. Don't be afraid to sing along and onward and upward until we get crazy..." "I know you all came here to see the Maple Lefas and are asking what the hell these four Birtish guys are doing here that you've never heard of. But the organ playing is better than at the hockeys games, isn't it?"

I disagree w/ Popkidu2's comments in the other Coldplay thread. I've never seen a more engaging piano man. I mean, he doesn't just PLAY. He's so into it....hardly sitting, banging his head, tapping his foot. HE gets so emotional, and I think THAT strikes a chord.

Coldplay WILL nOT be known for one song (i.e. Yellow). Judging by the audience's respoinses on In My Place, Clocks, etc....Shiver rocked. Daylight...their sets and lighting are GORGEOUS. The ending, I have to say was phenomenal. I was wondering how they could turn such a short song 'Life is for Living" into a closer.....the guitar riff is astounding...the song extended....combined with the whole show....*big sigh* Oh.....

Hey, I have a question for those who have had GA tickets for a Coldplay concert. What time do people generally start lining up? I have GAs for the concert in Chicago on Tuesday. and I was just wondering what time I should show up for good, but not necessarily front row seats. Thanks! :)

For the Seattle gig I was front row centre and lined up around 11am. I think people who got there later in the day, like 3-4pm still got up quite close. It all depends on security... how many lines let in at a time and the mad dash to the stage. In Seattle, they started a bunch of lines to check tickets just inside the venue and it allowed people who hadn't been waiting long to get real close. Not too cool in my opinion, but I managed to secure my spot none the less.

Last edited:
At Vegas I showed up at around 8:30 and was also front row center. I think people started showing up about an hour after we did. Good luck girl! Take tons of pics!

So I went to the Coldplay show today in Chicago....

and it fuckin rocked!!!! The show was really good and the band played really well......Chris Martin was great, and he was really funny.....everything was really good....the only complaint i had was that the crowd seemed to be really dead....i mean no one seemed to be really jumping and singing along too much....especially the people who were on the floor (general admission)....seriously, i think i only saw about 5 people who were actually jumping....on the other hand, at the U2 shows everyone is jumping, in and outside of the heart....and everyone is always singing along. i guess it makes you think about the quote that bono said...its something like, "U2 on its own is a very interesting group and all, but U2 with its audience is a culture"

i reallyreallyreallyreally wanted to go to this show but i went to paul mccartney instead, which also rocked.

I saw Coldplay at Jones Beach, NY last week and it was an exhillerating experience. Their new record and this show is the best thing I've seen and heard since ATYCLB and Elevation Tour. What is great about Jones Beach is that its an open air theatre literally right ON the beach. So you have Coldplay, the moon and the ocean in the background.

And Chris Martin is a very excentric fellow. You would never know that by just listening to their music. Their concert reminded me a lot of a U2 one. You know, the dramatics of the whole thing and Martin's relationship with the audience. This is a very good band, and I hope they continue their quest.
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom