MERGED ----> Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really enjoy The Well and the Lighthouse. I find it to be the perfect companion to Ocean of Noise. The two songs are almost inseperable from one another. I love them both dearly.

I have finally given this a listen..well one listen to be exact. Seems good so far, don't know what songs I like the best so far.

Is it just me or does Antichrist Televison Blues sounds like a Springsteen (River era) song?

Lancemc said:
I really enjoy The Well and the Lighthouse. I find it to be the perfect companion to Ocean of Noise. The two songs are almost inseperable from one another. I love them both dearly.

I love agreeing with you lately. :up:

The way Win and Regine sing in TWATL...:( ....is perfect. I'll never abbreviate the songs from this point forward.

LemonMacPhisto said:
especially when the acronyms spell out obscenities.

:tsk:

I think there's something in the air. Earlier today, I was thinking how I really adore the horny sounds at the end of Ocean of Noise.

:( :( :(

Woah. Check it out. neonbible.com has a new lyrics section with the lyrics for every song on the album. :rockon:

I guess my favourite is still My Body Is a Cage. But Windowsill is growing... The lyrics are very touching. In fact I think the lyrics of this album are very very good... I read them all a couple of days ago and they didn't disappoint me at all...

You guys are just cruel of talking and talking about this album without sending me any links to any of the songs :madspit:

:wink:

Please send me something someone, just 2 or 3 songs and I'll be happy :drool: (but not Intervention or Black Mirror)

e_lego@hotmail.com

One of the best things about this album is not just how the individual songs escalate and climax, but how the album as a whole escalates, relentlessly building momentum and intensity, and never for a second releases it until the very last measure of the final song.

The first 5 songs on the album aren't necessarily a steady incline, but they are the beginning of this build-up of power throughout the album. But amazingly, throughout the next 6 songs, almost everyone builds upon the one before it. Ocean of Noise is a very powerful song, and incredilby beautiful, and the way it shifts at the end with the horns entering is breathtaking. But Then The Well and the Lighthouse takes that momentum from the last third of Ocean of Noise and run with it, itself closing with another build-up of energy. (Antichrist Television Blues) starts off with the same energy that the last two songs ended with, and it truely one of the most relentless tracks on the album, without a single second to breath during its 5-minute duration. It also displays perhaps THE most jarring and powerful ending of any of these songs.

After a few second of silence, Windowsill musically feels like a refrain to Ocean of noise with a similar slower start and heavier back-end. But the difference is that this song maintains the emotion intensity from the previous 8 songs on the album and contains, in my opinion, the most moving lyrics on the album. "The tide's high. And it's rising still. And I don't want to see it at my windowsill."

Then No Cars Go comes seamingly out of nowhere and completely blows you away with its driving rhythm and escalating complexity and dynamics. The middle section where the drums shift radically and it enters a sort of trancy state (the part after the "Us Kids Know" verse...that part itself giving me goosebumps) sends shivers down my spine every time. No Cars Go also features the first glimpse of innocence since Keep The Car Running.

And perhaps THE most amazing part of this escalation comes after No Cars Go finishes and I find myself thinking "Man, that's THE finest song on the album, and one of the most awesome things I've ever heard." That's until My Body Is A Cage begins and I'm once again completely taken aback and blown away by how incredible the song is. It perfectly compliments the themes of the opener, Black Mirror, Neon Bible, (Antichrist Television Blues) and Windowsill. And on its own terms, My Body is a Cage showcases the pinnacle of The Arcade Fire's artist virtuosity when it comes to crafting an exponentially increasing intensity within a 4 and a half minute pop song. Every changing stage of this piece, dominated by the massive organ track, hits you like a kick in the gut, and really sucks the life out of you before finally administiring CPR as the final measures of the song and the album fade to a close.

:love:

good writing, lance :up:

i think neon bible has the potential to be one of the albums you look back upon the same way you look back upon achtung baby, ok computer and automatic for the people.

So Lance, how do you really feel about The Arcade Fire?
Just joking, I feel the same way too. I can´t stop listening to this beauty. Pure joy and quite dark at the same time.
I think it is quite thematically connected and in some ways has this quasi Bruce Springsteen, U2 Joshua Tree thing going for it if that makes sense.

I really like how it has this rootsy old time rock and roll thing going for it in the background.

Mogi said:
So Lance, how do you really feel about The Arcade Fire?

:lol:

That was great, Lance. Maybe you can display a little more passion next time? I really like your description of No Cars Go. I initially wondered why they'd use it again on the album since it was on the ep...but it really fits in the overall flow of the album. It's really majestic.

My current sound-crush is the part in The Well and the Lighthouse when Regine sings, "You fool, now that you know your end is near..." :heart:

After countless listens all the way through, I still think that Intervention is the strongest single track on the record.

My Body is a Cage loses points for the Phil Collins drums - I'm sorry.

I think I need to take a break from this already! I just listen to it over and over again.

I agree...this album may very well go down as one of the greats. Cant wait to see the reviews of it.

The MUST tour Australia at some point in the next 12 months.

Canadiens1160 said:
After countless listens all the way through, I still think that Intervention is the strongest single track on the record.

My Body is a Cage loses points for the Phil Collins drums - I'm sorry.

You could be right about Intervention. When I was shovelling snow the other night, that song really had me motoring with intensity. I was actually looking for more snow to shovel before it was over.

MBIAC. I don't know. I love that song, and the drums are a big reason why. I love how they start out almost like a heartbeat rhythm, then get frantic and military-like. Symbolism?

bono_man said:
I think I need to take a break from this already! I just listen to it over and over again.

I hear you. My big fear is that I'll play it to death :( It deserves a much better fate, because I really do think it's brilliant. I'm planning a full-scale moratorium for at least two weeks before the deluxe version comes out.

elevation2u said:
Is it just me or does Antichrist Televison Blues sounds like a Springsteen (River era) song?

:yes:

It's no surprise that it's one of my favorites so far, sudden ending and all.

In fact, I think the last four songs are the best part of the album...

Wow, I'm really digging this album! Liked Black Mirror and Keep The Car Running almost instantly. The last few songs seem interesting too. The mid section hasn't quite grown on me yet but it's only been 1 listen. This is the first time I'm listening to a whole AF album (outside of just Wake Up) and I see a strong Bowie influence! :ohmy:

How did I only just now find out that Win Butler (and William) are Texans?

I think I love the Arcade Fire even more now.

Zootlesque said:
Wow, I'm really digging this album! Liked Black Mirror and Keep The Car Running almost instantly. The last few songs seem interesting too. The mid section hasn't quite grown on me yet but it's only been 1 listen. This is the first time I'm listening to a whole AF album (outside of just Wake Up) and I see a strong Bowie influence! :ohmy:

i guess the last link i sent you worked? :wink:

redkat said:
Can someone upload the Fashion Rocks Wake Up with David Bowie?

My itunes ate it or something like that

Thanks in advance :)

you need to send me an email here. then i think i can help you out: u2man.number1 @ gmail.com

Favourite song by far is "No Cars Go". I also like "Keep the car Runnin" and "The Well and the Lighthouse"

xaviMF22 said:
for the sake of being controversial:wink:

is there anyone who thinks this album did not live up to the hype?:reject:

you + quite a few (other) nuts on atease :wink:

few albums can live up to that kind of hype.

so you think it can live up to the hype?

in that case, you're just trying to stir up some shit :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom