MERGED-->Anyone Give A Damn About THE VMA's? + 2003 VMAs + Justin Timberlake...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my point exactly - they did not make a new album or anything

KhanadaRhodes said:

what other band is possibly more vital? hell, they were presenting even though they have nothing to promote right now!

Plenty of them. *ahem ok I won't mention the obvious choice on this page*
REM, Red hot chili peppers, Jane's addiction (true they weren't around for a while but they've got a new album out and will likely tour), Metallica, Depeche Mode, New Order, Bruce Springsteen and the E street band.

(ok so I know lots of people on this board hate them but for longevity's sake and commercial success Bon Jovi)

Last edited:
Re: my point exactly - they did not make a new album or anything

U2girl said:
Plenty of them. *ahem ok I won't mention the obvious choice on this page*
REM, Red hot chili peppers, Jane's addiction (true they weren't around for a while but they've got a new album out and will likely tour), Metallica, Depeche Mode, New Order, Bruce Springsteen and the E street band.

(ok so I know lots of people on this board hate them but for longevity's sake and commercial success Bon Jovi)

Then again, Duran Duran made a far bigger impact on the video front than the acts you mention (with the exception maybe of Depeche Mode). And as for 'the obvious choice', U2 got the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award two years ago. Was that deserved? Looking at their videos, especially from the '80s, I'm not so sure about that one... :rejected:

C ya!

Marty

whatever the fuck happened to that Michael Jackson award thingy?

I thought the presentation was a bit crap. At least U2 had that video montage thing. I wonder how many people in the audience were wondering who Simon, Nick, John and the boring Taylors were.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I thought the presentation was a bit crap. At least U2 had that video montage thing. I wonder how many people in the audience were wondering who Simon, Nick, John and the boring Taylors were.

From what I saw on the VMA broadcast, the DD video montage messed up and the producers were not able to recover.

ooopsie

Popmartijn said:

Then again, Duran Duran made a far bigger impact on the video front than the acts you mention (with the exception maybe of Depeche Mode).

:eek: You mean that was a video lifetime achievement award? Not a music related award?

Hey, they are the VIDEO music Awards. Video comes first. ;) And judging by the quality of the station nowadays, music comes last... :p

Sean Paul - no idea who he is, but apparently there's a clothing line.

I can't believe people have bought into this Timberfake crap. If you ever have the misfortune of seeing him live (I had to endure him to see The Stones), you will immediately note that he is atrocious, appalling, horrifying. Those words are actually complimentary to how weak and nasal his irritating voice is. If I never heard another thing from him, it'll be too soon.

U2girl said:
:eek: You mean that was a video lifetime achievement award? Not a music related award?
:yes: oh, and sorry if i came off as kinda bitchy before, i wasn't intending to. i'm just glad that duran duran are starting to get some of the recognition they've deserved all along. even if it's just recognizing them for their videos (which is all they've been recognized for really, as the only two grammys they've won were for videos), it's better than nothing i think.

and mvd, i agree totally about the pop sluts.

anitram said:
Sean Paul - no idea who he is, but apparently there's a clothing line.

I can't believe people have bought into this Timberfake crap. If you ever have the misfortune of seeing him live (I had to endure him to see The Stones), you will immediately note that he is atrocious, appalling, horrifying. Those words are actually complimentary to how weak and nasal his irritating voice is. If I never heard another thing from him, it'll be too soon.

LOL.. I think the clothing line is Sean John.. which is by Puff Daddy... ;)

For those who haven't heard Sean Paul.. he is being marketed as a very popular dancehall singer from Jamaica. I don't care for him myself, and do not find him attractive.

As for anitram's comments about Timberlake live, I couldn't agree more. He was really really bad. But like many have said, he is an entertainer - and not all entertainers are extremely talented singers - they are just "entertaining" to watch.

it's ok

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes: oh, and sorry if i came off as kinda bitchy before, i wasn't intending to.

I'm sorry if I came off as wanting to argue, I thought it was a music kind of thing and just thought some other bands might be considered for it.

I agree with the rest of your post, too.

HelloAngel

Thanks, LOL! I'm out of the loop, totally and completely.

And I feel fine. :yes:

Hello,

It seems like there is a pre-award ceremony or something like that. Because Johnny Cash has won a VMA for Hurt, in the category Best Cinematography. :up:

C ya!

Marty

P.S., you can see Johnny's video here:
http://www.markromanek.com
(he's the director of the video and has made some other great videos too!)

Back
Top Bottom