MERGED-->ALL Superbowl Halftime show 2003 Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Shania, imo, lip-synched.

Just to let you Americans in on a fact, at our super bowl (Grey Cup, which was in NOV) she did the halftime show as well. From what i hear she wouldnt talk to any local media for any interviews and was paid $100,000 to do. SHe lip-synched that one as well. Fuck man all she's doing is making Canadians look bad, same with Celine Deon, how could you have a foriegner sing your national song?? I wouldnt be too happy.

All in all it wasnt that great. Actually i was sitting around with a few older men this afternoon before the game, as in older i mean 50+, and they all asked me who did it last year, i said U2 and they all remembered and said it was a great preformance.

bon jovi performed? how i long for the day when there will be a forum dedicated for shitties like them. i imagine bon jovi would get a lot of attention there.

bonoman said:
Celine Deon, how could you have a foriegner sing your national song??

Yea that kinda annoyed me, her signing "God Bless America." I mean she has a great voice and all but it really didn't seem sincere.

I liked the Dixie Chicks performance of the Star Spangled Banner...it was really toned down and harmonic. But I like the Chicks anyway, so it was good to watch.

I missed the halftime....however, i don't think I missed much...they did the same thing a couple of years ago (groups from different genres performing together).

I think it's cool that they felt it took THREE big name acts to do what U2 did alone last year. It's a testament to their true greatness! :grin:

i didn't watch the superbowl last night. the line up looks odd. the morning radio show here in Atlanta are talking about it right now and are saying those who do the Superbowl show are selling out and whoring their music out for $$$. they said U2 did it last year and it must have "turned off" their fans and that they did it for the money. they said U2 jumped the shark when they went on the Superbowl. Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't U2 do the Superbowl free? i am tempted to call into the show because they are hammering U2 about being on their last year. :angry:

U2Kitten said:
I think it's cool that they felt it took THREE big name acts to do what U2 did alone last year. It's a testament to their true greatness! :grin:

:lol: Definitely! I didn't even WATCH the Superbowl this year!

Shania sucked. No Doubt sucked. Sting was great. Sting should NEVER have let Gwen Stefani sing the song with him. She destroyed it.

superbowl? maybe the only reason i knew about it last year was cos the patriots were playing, but i completly missed it this year. i didn't watch it last year cos it was on the mysterious channel 6 that doesn't work on our tv, and then i would have watched it for u2 at the halftime show...i didn't watch it this year cos i didn't know about it...

i'll watch hockey, soccer, even baseball at times...i've got something against football and basketball because i hate breaking fingers, i guess...and whenever i've played either sport in gym classes or with friends, i've broken fingers...so i avoid them even when on tv.

The bar is pretty high after last year so I dont envy anyone who's trying to match U2.

I was impressed with No Doubt, they always sound great live and are a really tight band (they dont get that much credit for being talented musicians but they are). Shania lipsync'd a horrible song, and Sting was good but seemed a little out of his element, looked like he would have rather been having tantric sex with his wife....overall I give it a grade of "C".

It was funny that U2 was good enough to stand on their own as "the" act but they had to be replaced by 3 others! I thought the "feel like a woman" and "just a girl" themes were dumb considering football is a 'guy' sport. Of course girls like it too, like me, but it was a dumb idea. Unless just everybody was doing their best known hit and that just happened to be it. Sting annoys me the way he rejects Copeland and Summers. He's a lout, and arrogant, stuck on himself windbag and he looks like a puke. I can't believe he really is considering snubbing his old bandmates at the HOF induction and they were asking Bono to sing for them! IMO everything he's done since he left The Police sucks. *hides from sting admirers* :reject: Oh and did you notice they had the same brand of paid fake fans they used for U2 last year filling the audience? :rolleyes:

bonoman said:
same with Celine Deon, how could you have a foriegner sing your national song?? I wouldnt be too happy.

that didn't bother me at all...she could have been singing Jingle Bells and it would still make me want to jab my eyes out with a hot poker. :no:

last year was great:yes: no doubt about it, and it probably will be one of the greatest super bowl performances

and i hope i dont get beat up but as a big Police fan I was actually really pleased when Sting came out, gwen stefani kinda ruined it not to mention her voice during Just a Girl:huh: .

I live close to the stadium so I really wished i couldve of just gone there to watch Sting :sexywink: :drool: :drool:

I thought the Super Bowl Halftime Show was the most original and entertaining experience I've had in a long time. It made up for a lame-ass first half, and everything from the jokes to timing was pitch-perfect. I mean, how can anyone say that the performers were missing their cues. Come on, Saturday Night Live's cast did a brilliant job :sexywink: They deserve a spot in Super Bowl history for their coverage.:yes:

As for the OTHER Super Bowl Halftime Show, I didn't watch it. I'm not falling for that one again. I still remember how awful Michael Jackson was back in 1992 when the Bills played the Redskins. :no: With the exception of U2 the halftime is something to miss.

Keep Our Canadian Crap

My country has been known to disown its "greatest" performers. I do not refute that comment. In fact I fully support it; on behalf of all Canadians, take our Shania, Celine, and Avril, and keep them for all your superbowls.

We don't want them (well at least the intelligent people who neglect the elevator renditions of "my heart will go on"... if I hear that again my BARF will go on).

Anyway that's enough from up north. I would now like to politely thank America for taking our unwanted and embracing them as their own pop stars.

I salute you

Cujo, dont forget the "Barenaked Ladies" another prime example of Canadian musical genius.

In spite of all these terrible bands/perfomers Canada did somehow manage to produce Daniel Lanois who, of course, really is a genius.

Ahh... I stand corrected, but there is an overwhelming supply of pop that we pump out. Sometimes I do neglect the quality acts like Lanois, Cockburn, and Joni Mitchell (I think she's Canadian?)... but they deserve better.

yup, he's a canuck too... I was just listing a few of our best. It would have taken a while to list them all. I'm sure we're proud of everyone deep down. But it's like Bono says about fame in Ireland... people walk by the big mansions and look up and say "Someday I'm gonna get that Bastard"...

something like that

Back
Top Bottom