MERGED--> ALL New Radiohead/Hail To The Thief Discussion Goes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marnie Christenson reports:
So here we are reporting, for what feels like the eighth time this year, on Radiohead goings on. It is this fact alone that speaks to the ball of contradiction that is Radiohead. For a band whose political philosophy is akin to Naomi Klein's No Logo, they sure do have one helluva promotional machine. But is it the message or the means? Ponder that for a while, and thank us later for providing you with a topic for the history and communications final essay that's gonna impress the pants off your pinko professor. As for us, we suppose we're part of that promo machine (no!) and we rage onward. And now, your up-to-the-minute Radiohead news in five parts...

Part I: Tour Dates:
The band have just announced a veritable assload of European tour dates for the fall-- presumably only a sampling of what's reported to be a large-scale arena tour this fall/winter. Tickets for the UK and Ireland dates in November and December go on sale May 17th.

As of this writing, three additional U.S. dates-- in addition to the previously announced Field Day Festival appearance-- have been announced as "unconfirmed." Whatever, we're campin' out anyway. The Denver Post reported on April 20th that Radiohead has indeed locked in a date at the legendary Red Rocks amphitheatre. As for the June 6th Beacon Theatre appearance in New York, it was first reported on various Radiohead sites that the date was on and set to be recorded for MTV. This looks to be the case-- MTV2 will broadcast the show exclusively on June 17th as part of their 2$Bill series (the network also plans to present live coverage of the Field Day festival, June 7-8). However, there is yet to be an official confirmation of all this from the Radiohead administration.

Because these dates keep gradually trickling in, we offer them once again in their entirety.

05-17 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
05-18 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
05-19 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Waterfront
05-21 Edinburgh, Scotland - Corn Exchange
05-22 Manchester, UK - Apollo
05-24 London, UK - Shepherds Bush Empire
05-25 London, UK - Shepherds Bush Empire
06-06 New York City, NY - Beacon Theatre (unconfirmed)
06-07 Long Island, NY - Field Day Festival
06-13 Hultsfred, Sweden - Hultsfred Festival
06-20 Neuhausen ob Eck, Germany - Southside Festival
06-22 Schee?el, Germany - Hurricane Festival
06-26 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter Festival
06-28 Pilton, UK - Glastonbury Festival
07-04 Belfort, France - Les Eurockennes Festival
07-05 Montreux, Switzerland - Stravinski Auditorium
07-07 Bergamo, Italy - Il Lazzaretto
07-08 Firenze, Italy - Piazza Michelangelo
07-11 Ferrara, Italy - Piazza Castello
07-14 Nimes, France - Nimes Arena
07-17 Vigo, Spain - Parque de Castrelos (unconfirmed)
08-02 Tokyo, Japan - Summersonic Festival
08-03 Osaka, Japan - Summersonic Festival
08-26 Denver, CO - Red Rocks (unconfirmed)
08-28 Salt Lake City, UT - USANA Amphitheatre (unconfirmed)
11-22 Manchester, UK - Manchester Evening News Arena
11-23 Newcastle, UK - Newcastle Telewest Arena
11-24 Cardiff, UK - Cardiff International Arena
11-26 London, UK - London Earls Court
11-29 Nottingham, UK - Nottingham Arena
11-30 Glasgow, UK - Glasgow SECC
12-01 Aberdeen, UK - Aberdeen AECC
12-03 Dublin, IRE - The Point Theatre

Part II: Album Artwork:
NME recently reported the lowdown on the Hail to the Thief cover art: "The group, who based the artwork to last album Amnesiac on an old library book, have designed and made Hail to the Thief in the format of a road map, and a number of limited edition copies of the album will come in the form of a real fold out map," sez that nastee publication. The "map" is made up of colored blocks of words that, as Thom Yorke told NME, "rang bells in his head" while listening to the political fallout of the 9-11 attacks and the bombing of Afghanistan. And then there's this alternate titles business. In an utterly inexplicable move, the album and the tracks will have two titles. Here they are, with the alternates on the right:

Hail To The Thief/The Gloaming:
01 2+2=5/The Lukewarm
02 Sit Down Stand Up/Snakes & Ladders
03 Sail To The Moon/Brush the Cobwebs Out Of The Sky
04 Backdrifts/Honeymoon Is Over
05 Go To Sleep/Little Man Being Erased
06 Where I End And You Begin/The Sky Falling In
07 We Suck Young Blood/Your Time Is Up
08 The Gloaming/Softly Open our Mouths In The Cold
09 There There/The Boney King of Nowhere
10 I Will/No Man's Land
11 A Punch Up At A Wedding/No No No No No No No No
12 Myxamatosis/Judge, Jury & Executioner
13 Scatterbrain/As Dead As Leaves
14 A Wolf At The Door/It Girl. Rag Doll

Part III: The First Single and Video
The first single from Hail to the Thief will be "There There", and will hit the store shelves May 27th. Fans can expect three versions: a CD1, a limited edition DVD, and 12" vinyl. At the moment, you can stream the single at the Capitol website, and see the artwork on the At Ease fansite. Launch.com, meanwhile, is hosting the "There There" video, and if we do say so ourselves, it's a fine return-to-form for a band that, prior to the ridiculous shit they passed off on us for Kid A and Amnesiac, were known for their creative videos.

This one features a stop-motion Thom Yorke (similar animation to Sam Raimi's Evil Dead films) creeping through a forest, where he happens upon: 1) a small house, in which two rather dapper rats converse by the fireplace; 2) some small furry animals having a tea party; 3) some cats being married. Later, he steals some fine, glowing attire (which he promptly equips) from some crows, who proceed to chase him around until he turns into a tree. FIN! It really is better than it sounds.

Part IV: Radiohead.tv:
As of April 28th, the brand spankin' new radiohead.tv site is up... but not necessarily running! As of this writing, the site's function is limited to sign-ups for the band's w.a.s.t.e. mailing list and some bits of the cover art. In the coming days (or weeks), the site will house videos from the studio, tracks from the album (for those of you that don't already, ahem, have them in some form), cover art for the singles, video games, blips, a Q&A webboard for the band, and more. And to top it all off-- in a sorta lame techie move that indicates this has all gone way too far-- you can remotely scare your friends by entering their mobile number and, apparently, when the call is answered they will hear, "Hail to the Thief!" Bwwwahhh haaaa haaaa. How very fiendish. The message board denizens will be occupied for days trying to coax cell numbers out of their "friends."

wow, thats a lot of info. thanks elvis.

enjoy the radiohead publicity while it lasts. this is their last album with parlaphone, unless they sign another contract with them.

mofo, if that turns out to not be a rumor, can i come stalk you that day?

hey bored,

your avatar reminds me of will ferrell. its the guy from the clash though, right?

they're playing barrie and montreal are they not?

and i'm seeing their concert at silvercity on june 5th. and that's only in canada which is pretty cool

SkeeK said:
they're playing barrie and montreal are they not?

and i'm seeing their concert at silvercity on june 5th. and that's only in canada which is pretty cool

I heard that they're playing in Vancouver on Aug.31st or something... saw it on some fan website.

I've got my tickets reserved for Large n' Live at the IMAX. Yay for me.

ya, im still trying to get wolf at the door too. apparently its much better than the unmastered version.

I wussed out, I only downloaded the mastered 2+2=5. I already had the finalized There There.

I just want to be excited to listen to the cd when I get it. That will be one out of 4 cd's I purchase on June 10.

Apparently their first show of the tour is tonight.

I imagine mp3's of it will appear on the net hours later.

Concert #1's tracklisting. It was in Dublin.

there there
2+2=5
w here i end and you begin
airbag
lucky
go to sleep
i might be wrong
backdrifts
sail to the moon
myxomatosis
just
sit down stand up
you and whose army?
national anthem
hunting bears
idioteque
everything in it's right place

encore 1
the gloaming
punch up at a wedding
pyramid song
paranoid android

encore 2
karma police
how to disappear

cujo said:
I've got my tickets reserved for Large n' Live at the IMAX. Yay for me.

Damn it, it's not on the IMAX... I guess since it's live they can't do that sort of thing on the big screen. Oh well, good stuff nonetheless.

Radiohead in a theater :up:

Back
Top Bottom