MERGED--> ALL New Radiohead/Hail To The Thief Discussion Goes Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think those who expect the "finished" version of the leaked "demos" to be very different are going to be a leetle disappointed.

Calluna said:

You sound like a broken record.

For reals. I just think it's lame people are trying to make final judgements on unfinished material. It's not even the actual unfinished material, it's mp3's of unfinished material.

a review i ran across......

(01) "2+2=5": The album opener finds the boys from Oxford in a similar headspace to Kid A or Amnesiac, all sparse guitars and plaintive vocals. Until about half way through, when guitars crash in and the song becomes the most straightforward thing they?ve done since OK Computer. An auspicious beginning?

(02) "Sit Down, Stand Up": More of the same, minimalist arrangements and Thom Yorke?s emotive wailing, accompanied by some xylophone-type instrument. Again, as in "2+2=5," the song drastically changes at the midpoint. However, this time it?s hectic, scattered IDM/Warp Records style rhythms that find their way into the tune. Interesting.

(03) "Sail To The Moon": Further sparse arrangements, with a prominent piano line and a slight, analog drum backing. Cold and dark, like a trip to the moon.

(04) "Backdrifts": The prettiest tune of the bunch so far, this number mixes more electronic rhythms and instrumentation with Thom?s spine-tingling vocal.

(05) "Go To Sleep": A strummed guitar intro sets the tone for the uptempo aspects to come. A rougher vocal texture than the other tracks, and multiple noisy guitar lines running simultaneously, including the initial strum pattern. Second fastest track so far.

(06) "Where I End And You Begin": Eerie synths lay over the top of a groovy bassline and shuffly Stone Roses-esque drum pattern. Thom?s voice is back in soul-shaking mode. "I?m up in the clouds and I can?t come down," he coos. Indeed.

(07) "We Suck Young Blood": Scared that the quintet has gone goth, but not to worry. Although this song is dark, there is no black eyeliner in sight. "We Suck Young Blood" kicks off with a plaintive piano line and is paired with slow-tempoed hand claps and more wailing as only Mr. Yorke can.

(08) "The Gloaming": Cyber noises lead into more electronica until a backwards synth drum line makes an appearance. Very Warp records-like and on par with the more electronic side the band showed on their past two studio albums.

(09) "There There": A down-tempo jazzy intro with what sounds like bongos. An REM-like guitar line is evident and the vocals are sung more than wailed. Another pretty one that builds in tempo and vigor, but never quite makes it out of ballad speed.

(10) "I Will": Country-western-esque in guitar tone, more minimalism in music and what seem to be double-tracked lead vocals, one in falsetto. Very Radiohead. (11) "A Punch-Up At A Wedding": Synthetic drums, piano and bass comprise the bulk of this amusingly titled number. The further you listen, the more you continue to be reminded of the strength and quality of the vocals.

(12) "Myxomatosis": OK, any song that is based on a word describing a mosquito-borne illness that mainly attacks rabbits is CREEPY. A fuzzy bass intro leads into scattered rhythms and a more upfront vocal feel. It?s still creepy, though.

(13) "Scatterbrain": Yet another ballad, this one comprised of a repeated guitar line and yet more beautiful vocals. Reminiscent of U.N.K.L.E.?s "Rabbit In Your Headlights" with no beats..

(14) "A Wolf At The Door": A chanted vocal differentiates the album closer from the rest. Again sparse, pretty guitars lay under the almost spoken words. The song builds to crescendos, percussion swarming in and out. Very dynamic.

My local indie radio station, which has been playing There There for weeks had this to say about the album........this is the guy in charge at the station im quoting....

I am 99.9 percent sure that this talk of the album "not being finished/mastered/worked on" etcetera is a bunch of hoohah and the guys are lying about it because...

We got the "official" single for "There There" today from the label, and it sounds EXACTLY like the downloaded version. Labels usually don't release singles to stations when the album is not finished, so...

Gotta pump up the album sales somehow, eh?

dear elvis,

ive heard the radio edit/single version. it is different. it is better.

in fact, i like this version better than the live version. could have made everything louder though, but i guess thats what volume control is for, eh old boy?!!?! :lmao:

Elvis Presley said:
My local indie radio station, which has been playing There There for weeks had this to say about the album........this is the guy in charge at the station im quoting....

I am 99.9 percent sure that this talk of the album "not being finished/mastered/worked on" etcetera is a bunch of hoohah and the guys are lying about it because...

We got the "official" single for "There There" today from the label, and it sounds EXACTLY like the downloaded version. Labels usually don't release singles to stations when the album is not finished, so...

Gotta pump up the album sales somehow, eh?

Do you REALLY think they care about album sales? C'mon now kid. :eyebrow:

You like a the cover art, huh? Cover art is good, no? I get you the cover art.

ateasehttt.jpg

Here is the supposed cover art for Hail to the Thief.

Last edited:
I just found out that my local "alternative" radio station KNDD is playing the complete, finished version of Hail to the Thief tonight with no commercial interruptions. I wish they broadcasted online but they don't so the only thing I can do is record a tape of it. I ran out to the store and bought a blank tape for this express purpose. It's recording now! :hyper:

thanks bear!
Dammit...that's a long time away...I thought they would be releasing it in the summer or fall...ah...they're worth the wait.:)

mmmBono said:
thanks bear!
Dammit...that's a long time away...I thought they would be releasing it in the summer or fall...ah...they're worth the wait.:)

Slicky Gickies is the Trickster, it comes out June 10 in North America.

Not too far away at all.

lemon, this press release from the band should help.

from www.radiohead.com

----

radiohead are splitting up after this lp, being their 26th.

after 35 years together, the five band members have decided to settle their creative differences by going their seperate ways.

front man, thom yorke, has expressed interest in the past of doing solo work.

'hail to the thief' is released worldwide on december 22.

:lmao: bear

Seeing as how I'm lucky enough to have 24/7 access to dial up internet, :angry: Its taken me the entire 3 days i've been back to read this whole thread. HAHA i thought i was like the luckiest girl in the world when i got this CD pre-burned just for me in the mail a couple weeks ago or whenever...Until of course i was informed that i was not the only one ...Thanks for clueing me in bear, or i would have made a blithering idiot of myself upon return :wink:

ANYHOOOO....my comments on the matter....

HOLY FLIRKING SHNIT. :| Demo, unmastered i dont give a F*$% ....I am in pure LUST....this album creates hormonal tidal waves in me unsurpassed by anything that ever was, is, or is to be. (that translates to "I wanna make out hardcore everytime i hear it or even THINK about it" ) This tour will no doubt be the end of whats left of my savings account since U2 cleaned it out a couple years ago, and i will surely be pregnant with a bastard child after all said and done.

I'll see y'all in New York in June. And there will most likely be other sightings of me around the country throughout said tour.

:drool: :love: :bow: :sick: *eats keyboard*

thank you for your time. I :heart: you all. Please, flower, my dear sweet waltzing matilda, See a show with me. lilly, bear, Gina, etc...i will see you all there too no? :kiss:

*making out with CD*

bounce?

bon jovi's latest effort has launched his band into stratospheric proportions. perhaps the worlds largest AND most important band, bon jovi delivers a punch of groove rock allthewhile pulling the hearts of americans with its 9/11 undertones. perhaps the greatest album ever made, but perhaps, the most important piece of material to ever be so readily available to mankind for a meager 20 dollars at your local k-mart.

Zoomerang96 said:
bounce?

bon jovi's latest effort has launched his band into stratospheric proportions. perhaps the worlds largest AND most important band, bon jovi delivers a punch of groove rock allthewhile pulling the hearts of americans with its 9/11 undertones. perhaps the greatest album ever made, but perhaps, the most important piece of material to ever be so readily available to mankind for a meager 20 dollars at your local k-mart.

How dare you plagarize me?

Zoomerang96 said:

That was my Bon Jovi review I wrote in "Seventeen Magazine".

I also wrote another article in that same issue entitled, "Make-Up Tips for High School Goth-Chicks".

Ali Rose, If you burn me a copy, I would appreciate it if you do not make out with it before you give it to me. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom