MERGED ----> All Discussion Of New Rolling Stones Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldatti

Acrobat
Rolling Stones' new single(s) to be premiered on July 22

Streets Of Love / Rough Justice, the new double single of the Rolling Stones will be on the radio tomorrow. Here in Argentina I just heard a minute of Streets Of Love and I'm surprised.

Two singles, a mid tempo (Streets Of Love) for the soft radios and a rocker (Rough Justice) for the rock radios. I only heard a minute and with the guy on the TV talking.

"Streets of Love" is a generic dial-a-ballad. Might work if they sounded more into it.

"Rough Justice" is noisy, I guess. It rhymes "fox" with "cocks," so it's not all bad, but it still doesn't do much for me.

They're not really songs so much as excuses to tour anyway.

Why do they even bother recording new albums? They tour with mostly their old (ie. good) stuff anyway, so all this album business is a huge waste of time and resources.

Se7en said:
as if a 30+ year back catalog isn't reason enough. :rolleyes:
Yeah, they're basically human jukeboxes now.

Bizarrely, that MP3 of "Streets of Love" omits the first verse:

Hey, we're gonna play a new song
So go to the bathroom
Before the line gets long

Pure poetry, really.
anitram said:
Why do they even bother recording new albums?
They'd release another compilation, but they used that excuse last time.

Last edited:
haha i laugh at u2 fans who say that the stones are to old to record or tour or whatever. agreed, the last two u2 albums (20-25 years into their carreer) are way better then what the stones produced 20-25 years into their carreer (i.e. undercover and dirty work), but only maybe slightly better than what the stones did 25-30 years into their carrer (steel wheels and voodoo lounge). i can only hope u2 will make future albums that top those albums. and, as most of you, i will probably love those albums anyway.

now on topic: rough justice rocks hard!!!!!!! it is a great surprise and im very much looking forward to hearing the entire album. streets of love is soso, but i do like hearing mick sing i, i, i, i, - i, i, i with his typical mick voice. that alone makes it worthwile for me. the third leaked track oh no not you again is really cool. 2 out of 3 are great / really promising for the album. cant wait!!

ps u2 and the stones are and have always been my favorite two bands.

While the Stones can occasionally churn out a great single ("Don't Stop" from Forty Licks was catchy), the main point is that they simply aren't relevant anymore, and haven't been for a while. Part of this is that the albums themselves don't really carry much weight. Steel Wheels wasn't bad, especially considering how terribly dated most other 80's albums sound. Neither was Voodoo Lounge. But they just weren't "important", and said nothing new. Mick Jagger is a capitalist pig who will sell the rights to any Stones song at the drop of a hat, and it's clear that his main goal in life is to make money; not exactly a noble pursuit (although what would you expect from a graduate of a business school?). Contrast this with Bono, who is still working out childhood issues on record and on stage, and taking on new ones as well. That's the difference between the bands. U2 never were as decadent as the Stones, but they didn't burn out on their own legend either, and never really stood for anything besides danger, something hard to pull off when you're over 35.

The Stones tours tend to receive more notice than the actual albums, which just proves that they are a revival act, nothing more.

The last truly great Stones album may be It's Only Rock And Roll, and that's arguable. While Some Girls has some great tracks, it certainly isn't on the level of the other classics.

Last edited:
You can download songs here:
Streets Of Love
http://www.savefile.com/files/3759903

Rough Justice
http://www.savefile.com/files/3511599

From Billboard:
The Rolling Stones' new single, "Streets of Love"/"Rough Justice," will be released Aug. 22 in the U.K. as a limited edition, numbered CD and on seven-inch vinyl. "Streets of Love" was given its first British airplay on Friday on national AC/pop station BBC Radio 2 and has been made "single of the week" by the station this week. "Rough Justice" is expected to gain favor at more rock-oriented radio outlets including national broadcaster Virgin Radio.

"Streets of Love" was recorded in summer 2004 and produced by Don Was. Both tracks will be included on the band's first studio album since 1997's "Bridges To Babylon," which is due in early September and has yet to be given a confirmed title. The Stones are currently in their regular rehearsal home of Toronto preparing for the upcoming Onstage tour, which begins Aug. 21 at Boston's Fenway Park.

I haven't been all that crazy about any new stuff from the Stones since Steel Wheels. Having said that, I heard Rough Justice today, and damn if it didn't sound like something straight out of the Tattoo You era. Great tune.

lazarus said:
While the Stones can occasionally churn out a great single ("Don't Stop" from Forty Licks was catchy), the main point is that they simply aren't relevant anymore, and haven't been for a while. Part of this is that the albums themselves don't really carry much weight. Steel Wheels wasn't bad, especially considering how terribly dated most other 80's albums sound. Neither was Voodoo Lounge. But they just weren't "important", and said nothing new. Mick Jagger is a capitalist pig who will sell the rights to any Stones song at the drop of a hat, and it's clear that his main goal in life is to make money; not exactly a noble pursuit (although what would you expect from a graduate of a business school?). Contrast this with Bono, who is still working out childhood issues on record and on stage, and taking on new ones as well. That's the difference between the bands. U2 never were as decadent as the Stones, but they didn't burn out on their own legend either, and never really stood for anything besides danger, something hard to pull off when you're over 35.

The Stones tours tend to receive more notice than the actual albums, which just proves that they are a revival act, nothing more.

good post!

while i of course cant argue with you on mick being more of a business man than bono and bono being far more involved with great causes, for me the relevance of both bands for the greater part should be measured by their music. youre right insofar that the stones probably havent produced any groundbreaking material since tattoo you (1981), but that is only compared to their own back catalogue. of course, the stones will never be as innovative as they were during the sixties and parts of the seventies. but thats not bad and doesnt require them to quit making music altogether.

as to tours: the stones still have the highest attence level of all bands. not relevant?? of course these tours are - its great for people who love their entire repertoire to be able to see it played live. its certainly relevant as also young people are attending these concerts: every kid that goed to a stones concert and wants to play guitar will at some point in time learn how to play stones songs, be it in a band or alone. stones music/sound is still a large part of the definition of rock and roll.

as to new albums: just like you, a lot of people find the 'grandad' albums (basically only three: steel wheels, voodoo lounge and bridges2babylon) actually quite good. me personally really love voodoo lounge and think steel wheels is a very solid album. b2b i think is by far the weakest of the three, but i know people who really dig it. so why shouldnt these albums not be released? yes, they are no led it bleed or exile on main street. big deal.

as to the comparisement to u2: its good for bono that he is able to deal with childhood issues in is music, but hey, mick never really did that sort of stuff. mick's issues have always been other things, yes sex and drugs and r'n'r. and he's still singing about those things. and no, that's not pathetic, that's what he's all about (well not drugs anymore).

lazarus said:
The last truly great Stones album may be It's Only Rock And Roll, and that's arguable. While Some Girls has some great tracks, it certainly isn't on the level of the other classics.

here you go wrong:wink: their last truly great album is tattoo you, of course.

Flaming Friar Sr said:

here you go wrong:wink: their last truly great album is tattoo you, of course.

Exactly.

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - meh, some great tracks, some not

Some Girls and Tattoo You - :up:

Can someone who has it put it up in ? I can't get any of these links to work. Thanks!

happy birthday mick (62 today!), a day with more great news:

Originally posted by marketwire
10.12 ET 26th July 2005

Rolling Stones Title New CD and World Tour "A Bigger Bang"
First All-New Studio Album in 8 Years to Be Released September 6th on Virgin Records

Tour Kickoff August 21st at Fenway Park in Boston
NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 07/26/2005 -- The Rolling Stones new CD, "A Bigger Bang," will be released September 6, 2005, on Virgin Records. Continuing their historic songwriting partnership, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards began the creative process last autumn and were later joined in the recording studio by Charlie Watts and Ron Wood. "A Bigger Bang" features all new songs, and is the first studio album by The Rolling Stones since the 1997 platinum-certified "Bridges to Babylon." While in the studio recording the album last year, the band came up with the title "A Bigger Bang" reflecting their fascination with the scientific theory about the origin of the universe.

The Rolling Stones"A Bigger Bang" is an ambitious, wide-ranging collection of hard-hitting, high-powered rock and blues songs. Running a full sixteen tracks, it is the band's longest new album since 1972's "Exile on Main Street." Key cuts include "Streets Of Love," the first international single; "Rough Justice," which will be targeted to U.S. rock radio formats; and "Back Of My Hand," a raw, rough-edged new song in the classic Rolling Stones blues style. Other titles include "It Won't Take Long," "Laugh, I Nearly Died" and "Rain Fall Down" as well as two tracks featuring Keith Richards' lead vocal, "This Place Is Empty," and "Infamy."

"A Bigger Bang" was produced by Don Was and The Glimmer Twins. Was previously co-produced the Rolling Stones studio albums "Voodoo Lounge" (1994) and "Bridges to Babylon" (1997) as well as the new songs included in the greatest-hits collection "Forty Licks" (2002). Was also co-produced the live album "Stripped (1995), and last year's critically hailed double-CD "Live Licks."

The release of "A Bigger Bang" follows the August 21st tour kickoff at Fenway Park, in Boston. The Rolling Stones will once again bring fans electrifying performances and state-of-the-art stage production. Ticket sales have reached record highs, with fans already purchasing 97% of all tickets currently available for sale.

A new song from "A Bigger Bang," "Oh No, Not You Again," was previewed in the band's surprise live set on the balcony of New York's Juilliard School in May, at the announcement of the tour. Following the completion of 35 scheduled dates in U.S and Canada, the band will then tour Mexico, South America, the Far East, New Zealand, Australia, and finally Europe, in the summer of 2006.

The Rolling Stones hold the record for the top 2 most-attended North American tours of all time. The U.S. leg of the Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang" tour is presented by Ameriquest Mortgage Company. The Rolling Stones' "A Bigger Bang" world tour is presented by Concert Productions International and produced by WPC Piecemeal Inc.

source : http://www.marketwire.com/mw/releas...elease_id=91687

Well Tattoo You definitely has some great songs on it, but that doesn't make it a great album. It's a very good album, as is Some Girls. But I think It's Only Rock and Roll is the last time they hit any kind of EPIC level. I mean, Fingerprint File? That shit blows my mind. They haven't pulled anything like that out of their asses in ages. Now there are some stellar tracks that rank with their best on later albums; Beast of Burden is one of my all time fav's. I'm also particular to Keith's Slippin' Away for some reason. But there's no majesty there anymore.

And the question of whether or not they should still keep making music if they are still able to put out 3-star material. No. Not when you have that big of a legacy, and when other legends can still put out masterpieces. I thought Springsteen's last 2 albums were phenomenal, The Rising up there with ANY of the E-Street classics. And I don't need to add any more praise to those last two Dylan records, which are just untouchable.

Perhaps it's harder when you're a whole band to keep firing on all cylinders, but each subsequent middling album just waters down the whole catalogue. I say put the damned thing to rest and stop prancing around embarrassing yourselves. They look like animatronic Madame Toussad's figures up on stage now.

laz

I think that 16 tracks is too many, but if the album is short in time and with fast songs as Rough Justice it could be great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom