Mercury Music Prize 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
The nominations for this year’s NATIONWIDE MERCURY MUSIC PRIZE have been revealed this morning (July 19).

At a small ceremony in London the 12 albums that will battle it out for this year’s prize were announced by Jools Holland.

The nominations are:

Bloc Party – 'Silent Alarm'
Hard-Fi –'Stars Of CCTV'
Kaiser Chiefs – 'Employment'
MIA – 'Arular'
The Magic Numbers – 'The Magic Numbers'
Coldplay – 'XandY'
The Go! Team – 'Thunder, Lightning Strike'
Antony And The Johnsons – 'I Am A Bird Now'
KT Tunstall – 'Eye To The Telescope'
Maximo Park – 'A Certain Trigger'
Seth Lakeman – 'Kitty Jay'
Polar Bear – 'Held On The Tips Of Fingers'

The overall winner of the £20,000 prize will be announced on September 6.

Immediately the Kaiser Chiefs have been installed as 4/1 favourites, however the band showed a distinct lack of confidence by only putting a £2 bet on themselves.

"The Kaiser Chiefs went into the Ladbrokes in Trafalgar Square this morning and backed themselves to win with £2 at odds of 4/1. If they win it will return £10," revealed Ladbrokes spokesman Warren Lush.

Elsewhere in the odds Bloc Party are second favourites at 5/1, with the Magic Numbers and Coldplayclose behind, while Antony and The Johnsons and The Go! Team seem a good outside bet at 12/1.

-------------------------------------------------
Source: NME.COM

If I had my druthers, M.I.A. would win. I'd say hers is the most innovative and fresh album of the lot that I've heard this year. People should check her out. :up:

i'm not trying to be a hater, really i'm not.

but i am STUNNED that coldplay is on this list.

*crosses fingers for bloc party or the go! team*

**will check out MIA based on HG's recommendation**

I have to say, I'm probably the least impressed with this list than I am any of the last few years lists (at least off of the top of my memory).

That being said, I'd also want MIA or Bloc Party.

u2popmofo said:
I have to say, I'm probably the least impressed with this list than I am any of the last few years lists (at least off of the top of my memory).

That being said, I'd also want MIA or Bloc Party.

Thats what I was thinking. I've been trying to think back this past year to see if it was really that lacking.

lmjhitman said:
**will check out MIA based on HG's recommendation**

:up:

Her style of music is not for everybody, but if you're open to it, it's incredibly smart and fun. I believe her album is on sale EVERYWHERE! and you could pick it up cheap and give it a whirl. If you do, let us know what you think! :)

Back
Top Bottom