Men At Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
me again...I perused....and EUREKA!! I found it. A vinyl copy in good condition. Was it ever available on CD? I have a friend who has a machine that transfers things from vinyl to CD. I could organise that if you like. Let me know if you are interested.

PS: I was worried it (and me) would melt before I got it home. It hit 38 degrees celcius today, even hotter in the car. The cover art on "two hearts" sure looks inviting **splash**

PSS: I was at the sanity store also looking for a Damien Rice CD I want( no luck). They did have a Men At Work best of CD...the name escapes me right now. It is $14. It has a few of the tracks from the "two hearts" album.

P:S:S:S:
POWDERFINGER :heart:
Truly Madly Deeply:heart:
more water imagery:drool: I wanna bathe.............in any cool body of water:faint:

I liked the brief mention of those 80s bands, I just love 80s Aussie bands, I only wish that I would of been older, so I could of experienced the whole 'pub rock' circuit, anyway, I am going to share some of my faves:wink: cause Aussie music roooooolz:wink:

inxs
hunters and collectors
nick cave and the bad seeds
the divnyls
the church
midnight oil
ed kuepper and the laughing clowns
icehouse
crowded house
paul kelly and the messengers & coloured girls
the models
eurogliders
do rei me
beasts of bourbon

I love Crowded House too (technically they are not Australian as theres only thingo the brother of the bloke from the Hunters in there and the rest are Kiwis, but we shall call them Aussies)

One of the best ever concerts I saw was Crowded House at the Belvoir Ampitheatre. Its out in the middle of the bush, a limestone ampitheatre. Crowded House were playing as the sun went down and the kookaburras joined in singing. So the band went quieter, kinda acoustic and let the kookaburras dominate. It was a magic magic moment.

The Divinyls, I wore out my Desperate cassette so many times. I just kept playing it until it died and then bought a new one. Good stuff. I really should get a CD of that album......

Oh don't worry beli, I was genuinely happy that I was wrong. If that makes any sense LOL

The Crowded House concert with the kookaburras sounds fantastic! As I said in another post I really love "Into Temptation", it has to be my favourite Crowded House song even though its hard for me to pick favourites.

I ought to look up some of those bands Aurora as they are unknown to me.

ed kuepper and the laughing clowns <-- cool name :up:

watery imagery :up:

violetfly said:

I ought to look up some of those bands Aurora as they are unknown to me.

I rekon that if you like Crowded House, then try getting your hands on some church or icehouse, they are all kinda similar in a way... reccomended lsongs to listen to would be,

the church: under the milky way or unguarded moment
icehouse: great southern land or hey little girl

and for a great hunters and collectors song try 'throw yours arms around me'. The lead singer of Huters and collectors, Mark Seymour is actually the brother of Crowded Houses bass player, Nick Seymour, so there is a bit of a crowdies connection there:wink:

Cass,

It was available on CD at one point, I'm not sure how many they made though. The Two Hearts Album was released in June 1985 and so I presume the vast majority of the albums made are on vinyl or cassette, although it might be possible that you could find a CD, but less likely obviously.

I'd like to look around a little more myself here, but thanks for looking for it and finding it. I may go with ebay as I have found some really cheap prices.

Have you listened to the album yet? What do you think?

STING2 said:
Cass,
Have you listened to the album yet? What do you think?

No, I don't want to risk causing any damage to the record. I'll wait until it is transferred to CD. There's always something to look forward to:)

I just saw the Colin Hay show a few nights ago and it was Awesome! Colin Hay played a 1 hour 45 minute accustic set. He had lots of effects on his guitar. He sometimes sounded like he was playing 3 guitars at the same time, like the Edge. This was an accustic set though, but with the effects, it made for a very unique sound. I was really surprised by how good's Hay's singing is live.

Colin Hay was actually born in Scotland, and from the moment he came on stage, you hear the Scottish Accent which is funny because all this time one has been thinking Australia and then here is this thick Scottish accent.

Colin Hay was born in 1953 and moved to Australia in 1967. He then moved to Los Angeles in 1992 and has been there ever since. His wife was there and came out and sang backing vocals.

Hay played a lot of his solo stuff which I thought was great despite the fact it was the first time I had heard it. "Looking For Jack" is a great song. The Men At Work Songs he played were:

Who Can It Be Now
Be Good Johnny
Down Under

Overkill
Its A Mistake
Blue For You

My favorites were Overkill and Its a Mistake but they were all great. For Be Good Johnny he definitely used a sequencer for the main guitar riff while he played over it with his.

The place he played was rather small. It was like a medium sized dining room with maybe 50 small tables. There were about 250 people there. It was very intimate.

Hay is also a good commedian and talked a lot between songs. When the show was over, he waited out in the lobby as everyone was leaving to sign autographs and talk. I got my ticket autographed.

Now not only do I want that out of print "Two Hearts" album, but I'm also interested in his solo albums, most of which are sold on his website.

Colin Hay has not been signed to a major lable since 1990 and sales and distributes his albums since that time. The internet has certainly made this easier for him.

Its a great show and I am very impressed by Colin Hay's solo material. If you get the chance, go to this show.

I'm glad you enjoyed it:up:
Australia is like that, very multi-cultural. Jimmy Barnes has a Scottish accent too and Vander and Young ( acca dacca connections) are Dutch...well one of them. We're a young diverse nation with opportunities that produces some great music....

imho:wink:

Back
Top Bottom