Memoirs of a Geisha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked the book very much. Unfortunately, I associate it with barfing, as I had a nasty stomach flu almost the entire time I was reading it. :|

The trailer for the movie makes me worry a bit. It looks very epic instead of personal, like the book was.

I LOVED the book and can't wait to see the movie. The trailer makes it look so beautiful. I hope they depict it well w/i the way the book is.

Ziyi Zhang....

idhitit4cv.jpg

martha said:
I liked the book very much. Unfortunately, I associate it with barfing, as I had a nasty stomach flu almost the entire time I was reading it. :|

:lol: Martha, I too read this book while I was sick. Thankfully I was over the barfing phase. I just associate it with feeling spacey and really supertired. :huh:

One of my favourite books as well, and I can't wait for the movie.

Zhang Ziyi...:drool:

Does anyone remember the bit in the book when Kyoto was bombed? During the time when I read that section, a HUGE thunder storm was happening outside my home. Talk about a realistic reading experience :laugh:.

It does occur to me they have an all-Chinese cast (in the promo at least) playing Japanese characters. Which I guess is an assumption that the West can't tell the difference anyway.

The book is alright. As a personal story, I liked it a lot. As a commentary on Geisha life and Japanese society, it's mediocre at best.

wasn't the author accused of blatantly misrepresenting certain aspects of the life?

and raging, i adoreth your signature. i have to ask, are you a pool fan, or do you just like the beer?
:shifty:

I can't wait to see this movie. Memoirs is one of my all-time favorite books. I just hope they stick to the book as much as possible.

Ladera Heights said:
A Chinese cast playing Japanese

she is very Chinese to me too and does not pass for Japanese

i have not read the book

but the previews make a big deal about her
blue eyes,
a dominant gene, so is her father European?

In the book, both of her parents are native born Japanese. There's no explanation why her eyes are blue (actually, they're blue-gray)

I never read the book, I want to see the movie though..it looks beautiful

When I was in Bath And Body Works the other day they had a Memoirs Of A Geisha display w/makeup and perfume (it smelled pretty nice) designed to go along w/ the movie. Their new shopping bags are ads for the movie, they are pink and red w/ ribbons.

I don't think the movie is out in the states until Christmas.

It probaby my favourite book, and I hate when they make films of them - it'll completely ruin my perspective. Damn.
The perfect example of this The Beach, another fantastic book, but the film was crap.

I'll go see it though :wink:

anitram said:
It does occur to me they have an all-Chinese cast (in the promo at least) playing Japanese characters. Which I guess is an assumption that the West can't tell the difference anyway.

The book is alright. As a personal story, I liked it a lot. As a commentary on Geisha life and Japanese society, it's mediocre at best.

Asian actors are interchangeable in Hollywood, shit, native people are played by asians in a bunch of films. Remember, we all look the same.:wink:

But on the other hand, Brits and Americans play Germans, Swedes and other ethnicities so it isn't just interchanging asian actors. At least we aren't having actors in blackface or thick glasses and buck-teeth ala Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

My guess is that the producers or whoever made the decision were more concerned about getting actors that western audiences would know, rather than getting Japanese actors. It's often a question of "who will bring the people to the theater" rather than "who's the best fit for the part"? That's my take.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, despite the early reviews. I loved the book (although I remember being pissed off at the ending), and am a sucker for a big, epic flick.

I've only seen the trailer, but this looks like it will be one of the most disturbingly Orientalist/Neo-Colonial films that's been released on such a grand scale in a long time. I absolutely cannot wait to watch it fall flat on its face at the box office. The book might be just fine (I admit openly that I've never read it), but even at a non-narrative level, it is so offensive that it turns my stomach. I booed openly when I saw the trailer screened before Capote, a few weeks back.

Thank you, Rob Marshall, from bringing presumptive racist leanings back to the mainstream! How I'd missed them...!

:mad:

If you want to read a better book about geishas in Gyon, get "Geisha, A Life." It's a much less editorialized story, as it's an autobiography, and leaves you with a better sense of what their daily life is like, the hierarchy of the geisha houses, the impact on their families and so on.

Angela Harlem said:

and raging, i adoreth your signature. i have to ask, are you a pool fan, or do you just like the beer?
:shifty:

been a while since I read my own thread! :D I like the beer, not much into pool!!

Still havent seen the movie yet either, but looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom