MELON...something you wrote...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Melon you wrote in another thread:

Magnesium + Vitamin B complex + Vitamin C --> dopamine, which alleviates addictions and panic/anxiety-related disorders.

Can you elaborate on just how this works? I dont have an expert knowledge of natural supplements, but I always thought that dopamine was the happy chemical in your brain? That's probably way too simplistic, can you give me some more details on this?

Would this equation also be a remedy for depressive type feelings as well? Or is there another (somewhat proven?) natural alternative to anti-depressant drugs?

Im really very sincerely interested in the subject...if you'd like, email me privately to discuss...thanks!

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

On the topic of natural anti-depressants.....
Below is an informative and rather amusing excerpt from this article: http://slate.msn.com/?id=34336

Trippin' at the GNC
Can those over-the-counter nutritional supplements really put you in a better mood?
By Seth Stevenson
Posted Thursday, September 9, 1999, at 12:30 AM PT

Throw out your dealer's telephone number--why take risks when your supermarket is selling drugs? OK, not real drugs, but nutritional supplements, which are winning over our drug-abuse dollar. Corner stores now stock Saint Johnswort, Snapples come spiked with ginseng, and juice bars sprinkle ginkgo on smoothies. Supplements are an $8.9 billion annual business now, bigger than the domestic box office of movies. Largely unregulated by the Food and Drug Administration, these over-the-counter compounds are legal for 12-year-olds to buy. But can they get you wasted? Over the summer I ran up a tab at my local General Nutrition Center--a chain with booming sales growth largely because it rounds up the usual supplements. After sampling GNC's wares, I checked my findings against the wisdom of Ray Sahelian, M.D., a Los Angeles doctor who swears by supplements, has tried them all, and has authored several books on the matter. Here's what I learned:

Saint Johnswort

For: Mild to serious depression.

How it works: It's a flower. Studies suggest it (like everything halfway fun these days) plays with neurotransmitter levels, boosting serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

My findings: The bottle recommended one to three 300-milligram pills per day. I took three. On the afternoon of the third day (it takes a while for the drug to rev up), I felt a sudden rush of well-being. I was reading a good book and eating a great sandwich, and admittedly this in itself may account for my good cheer. But it felt more profound--what should have been just a sandwich was a sandwich, what should have been just a book was a book. Does that make sense? It did at the time.

By Day 4 the manic rushes were kicking in. At unpredictable moments I'd become hypersocial, expansive, and breathtakingly productive. It was not unlike a cocaine high (er, I'm told). That is, a surprise cocaine high that strikes at random. I'd be in a meeting with my boss and suddenly I was Robin Williams circa 1980. These Wort flashes were sort of delightful the first few times, but I grew to fear them--I couldn't predict when the Wort would attack. And along with the manic highs came troughs of fragility and moodiness.

Hoping to push the envelope, I eventually doubled my dosage. Result: a jaw-clenching headache of unfathomable depth, coupled with horrid, abyss-gazing doubt and need. I quit the next day.

The doc says: Sahelian's a big fan of the Wort. He thinks it works almost as well as Prozac, without the side effects or high price. "Doesn't it add a little magic to the world? It's great to take when traveling--the things you see become more special." I'd guess he means something like my sandwich moment. Sahelian says that since I wasn't depressed to start with, taking the maximum dosage of Wort pushed me into mania. He starts patients off with one pill a day, and only goes to three for extreme depression. Oops. Although I'm not depressed, I may try a one-per-day regimen in the future--maybe I could be even happier.

Cost: $7.99 for 60 pills--a two-month supply for me, a 20-day supply for Sylvia Plath.

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:

...Trippin' at the GNC
Can those over-the-counter nutritional supplements really put you in a better mood?

That was a funny article.....didn't the FDA release some report recently blasting St John's Wort as cancer causing or something? I dont remember any of the details, very uninformed I am!
frown.gif

Gabriel

The FDA blasts many effective herbal remedies that might threaten pharmaceutical companies. The FDA is a political entity, not one that necessarily has the public's true best interests at heart. That's not to say that herbs can't have dangerous side effects--just like some people can die from eating strawberries and peanuts.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
The FDA blasts many effective herbal remedies that might threaten pharmaceutical companies. The FDA is a political entity, not one that necessarily has the public's true best interests at heart. That's not to say that herbs can't have dangerous side effects--just like some people can die from eating strawberries and peanuts.

Oh I know this first hand alrighty...no secret that the FDA is in bed with the pharma companies...sometimes they even approve stuff that many doctors object to...

Damn I wish Melon reads this soon...

Originally posted by gabrielvox:
Damn I wish Melon reads this soon...

He has probably already read it and is working on the kind of response that would qualify as a master's degree thesis. Not sloppy, that melon.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
He has probably already read it and is working on the kind of response that would qualify as a master's degree thesis. Not sloppy, that melon.
biggrin.gif

This I know!
smile.gif
I very much enjoy his insightful comments on God and religion in FYM, and share many of his views in that regard...so Im gonna be paying VERY close attention to anything he has to say on this subject!
smile.gif

PS...does blatant flattery work around here? lol...

[This message has been edited by gabrielvox (edited 05-14-2002).]

I have no doubt that when he gets a chance he will give you all the info you seek and then some.
biggrin.gif
We've spoken on this topic several times and it's a favorite of his. Go melon!

LOL @ this thread so far...

Magnesium, Vitamin B complex, and Vitamin C, when metabolized together, stimulate your brain to create natural dopamine, which is the same chemical in ecstacy (which is artificial and in dangerously high doses in E). Magnesium should not be overdosed; your body absorbs it all and is toxic in high doses. Vitamin B and C are water-soluble, meaning that you can't overdose on it.

A lack of dopamine leads to anxiety/panic issues, along with addictions, obsessions, insomnia, and overall inability to cope with stress, with low blood pressure generally (hypotension). An overdose of dopamine leads to schizophrenia and hallucinations, along with high blood pressure (hypertension).

A lack of magnesium leaves you prone to type-II diabetes. In fact, I know this helps it, because I suggested this to my grandmother who has it, and she's doing wonderfully with it ever since I gave it to her.

A lack of Vitamin B makes you susceptible to lots of nerve problems, along with the potential for heart disease / hardening of the arteries when you are older (Vitamin B curtails homocysteine production in the liver, which is believed to cause hardening of the arteries and heart disease).

A lack of Vitamin C leads to adrenal exhaustion and being sick a lot, along with lots of other potential problems.

What I suggest to you is to try the vitamins. An estimated 70% of America is magnesium-deficient, due to the way food is processed, and if you take the suggested dose, you should be fine. If you get very strange dreams, coupled with higher blood pressure while sleeping, then stop taking the magnesium for a while.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Would this equation also be a remedy for depressive type feelings as well? Or is there another (somewhat proven?) natural alternative to anti-depressant drugs?

And, yes, this takes care of depression as well.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

And GNC is crap; most of their vitamins are ineffective, due to bad manufacturing processes. Also, I don't like herbs.

Melon

------------------

Very interesting. Forget about ASKMRBONO.COM--we need an ASKMELON.COM.

I love herbs, though. The vast majority of the herbal products available at your local health food store are crap (as are GNC products, I totally agree) but there is some amazing herbal stuff out there that I swear by.

Melon:

Thank you SO much for your response. Just to make it quick, should I just basically assume 1 500mg tab per day to start? I know you might feel uneasy giving that much explicit advice, but I won't sue ya, promise!
wink.gif

Also, do you have a preferred brand name, maybe Jameson or something? Isn't there also a brand name that starts with "Swiss" or somehting that is also fairly highly respected?

I'd much rather try the natural way now. I've tried four different chemical remedies and have had problems with all. From nasea to panic anxiety to extreme fits of anger...and the last time I checked neither vitamins B or C did this to me..
smile.gif

Again, thanks for your help on this..

Gabriel

[This message has been edited by gabrielvox (edited 05-14-2002).]

I shall reply to this soon. I've been busy, but haven't forgotten.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
Are you sure it's magnesium? or is it MANGANESE?

That's certainly a nice link.

Clarification: Magnesium + B + C --> dopamine. Manganese is a seratonin mineral. Both important, but different, brain chemicals.

As such, my recommendation, ultimately, is to go to a chiropractor/kinesiologist who specializes in nutrition. The doctor will certainly be in the best position to do a proper diagnosis. All I can do is try and point out suggestions that I think you should bring up with them.

Melon

------------------

Just to make it quick, should I just basically assume 1 500mg tab per day to start?

That is WAY too much. About 100-200 mg is sufficient.

Also, do you have a preferred brand name, maybe Jameson or something? Isn't there also a brand name that starts with "Swiss" or somehting that is also fairly highly respected?

Most store brands are not good. Again, I suggest going to a chiropractor/kinesiologist who deals with vitamins/minerals. They likely deal with great suppliers unavailable to the general public, along with being able to make a proper diagnosis.

I'd much rather try the natural way now. I've tried four different chemical remedies and have had problems with all. From nasea to panic anxiety to extreme fits of anger...and the last time I checked neither vitamins B or C did this to me..
smile.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, it is certainly my pleasure to be able to give you advice. Vitamin B & C are perfectly safe, but I advise you further to be cautious on the Magnesium, which you can technically overdose on.

Melon

------------------

Back
Top Bottom