Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That eternal debate is too ilusive so it can't be settled but it's good for a band to have ambition.

I wanna hear chris martin even ATTEMPT to play some Mozart on that tiny piano of his instead of his little arpeggios.

first of all.

i love bands like Pearl Jam who just keep kicking ass and don't feel the need to remind everyone all the time.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

Their bass player:
Guy Buckland
Musical Tastes: James Brown, Kool & The Gang, funk and soul.

It's Guy Berryman. ;)

Anyway, I like quite a bit of Coldplay's music. It's nice when you want to listen to something that will get you all good and relaxed. It's very mellowing. But I when I want to feel a range of emotions, I listen to U2. And that basically sums up my opinion of Coldplay.

I think it's good to have ambition, but I think when you say you want to be the best band in the world too many times, it becomes a bit of an overkill. It's a different with Bono - he can pull off the cocky attitude well because it just comes naturally to him. :wink: Plus, he had enough passionate music to back those claims up with when he made them in U2's early days. Chris Martin doesn't do "cocky" very well, in my opinion. I just hope he never decides to dye his hair black and put on a leather suit.

also, Coldplay doesn't have a giant lemon. and their music is wimpy compared to U2. if they were to pick a fruit to walk out of, it should be a 10 ft grape.

GibsonGirl said:

It's Guy Berryman. ;)

Anyway, I like quite a bit of Coldplay's music. It's nice when you want to listen to something that will get you all good and relaxed. It's very mellowing. But I when I want to feel a range of emotions, I listen to U2. And that basically sums up my opinion of Coldplay.

Want to feel a range of emotions? How much Coldplay have you listened to? Listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head all the way through and then tell me a 'range of emotions' isn't felt, you cold hearted bastard! :wink:

But seriously - everyone here, listen to 'Amsterdam', the last track on AROBTTH.

'Stood on the edge
Tied to the noose
But you came along
And you cut me loose...'

GREAT BLOODY SONG!

-Miggy D

Miggy D said:

Want to feel a range of emotions? How much Coldplay have you listened to? Listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head all the way through and then tell me a 'range of emotions' isn't felt, you cold hearted bastard! :wink:

Trust me, I've listened to their first two albums quite a bit, as well as the live CD. It all really seems like the same type of emotion to me, unless their b-sides are different, which I doubt (I've never bothered with their singles). U2 have angry songs, sad songs, sexy songs, happy songs, mellow songs, laid-back songs, etc. etc. etc. Coldplay either makes me feel relaxed or sad. The only song of theirs that has made me feel somewhat different is Politik. But then again, other people probably experience emotions differently. So while you experience a range of emotions on AROBTTH, I just don't feel it. And to be fair, U2 have put out far more albums. I'll eat all my criticisms if Coldplay ever release a song as sexy as Do You Feel Loved or as angry as Bullet The Blue Sky. :wink: They've still got time to change their musical mood, but judging from what I've heard so far on X&Y, they're still stuck on mellow.

Last edited:
What I find scary is how much coldplay emulates U2.

-The new Coldplay video which uses the old popmart screen.

-The CP DVD which mentions Red Rocks and U2 in the tour diary section.

-Having similar value to u2 and having the same instrumentation as the group.

The 4 screens, one on each member" that were used on their 2003 tour.

I'm now wondering if coldplay have ever played at the same concert or have ever met.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
OMG, A FOUR-PIECE BAND WITH VOCALS, GUITAR, BASS, AND DRUMS.

U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1U2 CLONES!!!1

U2FanPeter said:
What I find scary is how much coldplay emulates U2.

u2fp

Yeah, that is weird, because Chris and Bono both play piano.

Oh, wait. No.

Point for:
Miggy D

Who cares. Bono's been pretty arrogant in his day.
Coldplay have written songs which U2 couldn't touch, U2 have written songs which Coldplay couldn't touch (more of them, obviously). I see distinct differences in the styles of the two bands, but then I seem to be in the minority.
I don't care to compare the two on such a critical level. I feel lucky to love the music of both bands so greatly - as if U2 wasn't enough, along came Coldplay.
Anyway, Chris Martin reminds me more of Sting than Bono.

Bono played piano in 2001 on Sweetest thing. Also, piano has been a frequent part of the u2 sound.

Aside from CM sitting at a piano, I have trouble seeing how CP tries to seperate itself from u2.

u2fp

beau2ifulday said:
Coldplay have written songs which U2 couldn't touch...

Such as...?

I don't want to come across as an arrogent U2 fanboy here, because I do like Coldplay. I'm acctually planning on seeing them live this summer. They are not however anywhere close to reaching U2's level of talent or songcraft.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

lol I made a typo oh so much for posting when i am tired. :eek: oh well.

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! At least that was only a minor typo...I once accidentally typed "orgasms" instead of "organisms" on a biology paper I passed in. I was red for weeks afterwards - my teacher had it circled and even gave me a smug look when she handed it back to me.

GibsonGirl said:

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! At least that was only a minor typo...I once accidentally typed "orgasms" instead of "organisms" on a biology paper I passed in. I was red for weeks afterwards - my teacher had it circled and even gave me a smug look when she handed it back to me.

that's some funny shit right there!

i remember chuckling during typing class when we had to correct mispelled words, and they always mispelled "and" by typing "nad".

GibsonGirl said:

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! At least that was only a minor typo...I once accidentally typed "orgasms" instead of "organisms" on a biology paper I passed in.

My good friend made the same mistake, but it was publically in front of an audience. We were debating abortion. I don't know how she kept her cool, given that everyone was completely hysterical.
I've made a similar mistake - when I did the reading at Church a few years back, I said 'genitals' instead of 'gentiles'. Needless to say, they didn't ask me to read again.

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:

I've made a similar mistake - when I did the reading at Church a few years back, I said 'genitals' instead of 'gentiles'. Needless to say, they didn't ask me to read again.

:lmao:

Did people laugh? Or did they just look at you in horror?

(I would have laughed, but I just wonder if people actually did...so many people lose all sense of humour when they walk into a church.)

I hope that Chris Martin manages to extract his head from his a*** soon.

I also hope that he leaves the music business and finds his true calling in life.

i guess to be fair, ill have to wait for at least another album or two besides x&y to better comapare them to U2...because although the sound did change for u2's first 3 cds i dont think it was such an immense feat of progress...im not saying that Boy, October, and War all touched upon the same sound or subjects but U2 didnt really make that much of progression until Unforgetable Fire...
but yeah, coldplay in my opinion are a bit dull comapred to the likes of u2 but then again they are two different bands...no one really calls thom yorke dull and boring for always being pessimsitic.

GibsonGirl said:
I once accidentally typed "orgasms" instead of "organisms" on a biology paper I passed in.

Let me guess, big bang theory?

:sexywink:

Back to the original subject, you can't blame Chris for saying that. Everybody from U2 to Bob Dylan has said something similar. But, I dislike Chris' quote 'cuase I'm not a big Coldplay fan. I like mabye one to three songs from them. "Yellow" is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. This is why I hate that quote (you can call me biased but, aren't we all).

Back
Top Bottom