Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least some people will get off Bonos case for being the one that is pompus now but not too many :)

Infinitum98 said:
Who would win in a fight, Chris Martin or Liam Gallagher? :laugh:

Liam, no contest. And we would still have no idea what the f**k he was saying after either...

I didn't know that Bono had made that statement during the Boy era about thinking U2 had the stuff to be as great as the Beatles until years later when they had indeed become one of the biggest and greatest bands of all time, so it's easy for me to let that one slide. Part of me thinks I should give Chris Martin the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard to do. Maybe it would be easier if Coldplay had even a little bit of originality or charisma. I don't think U2 was at their peak during the Boy era by any means, but they certainly had a great live act and tons of fire and energy.

Last edited:
I think best band in the world varies for each person. For some people it's U2, others it's Coldplay, and for others it's someone else (I fall in the "someone else" category, in case you wondered. :) ). That's the beauty of music. There's something great (even the "best") for everyone.

rjhbonovox said:
Yeah they are the best band in the world at the moment...

Theres tons of great bands around at the moment, you probably don't dig deep enough..as for Coldplay, they're terrible, I can't believe after all your ranting at U2's "safeness" you acknowledge the masters of MOR as the "best band in the world"!

:laugh:

Whichever interview I saw it in, maybe the ABC U2/tour with Diane Sawyer, but Bono said there are some really good things coming up in rock & roll they (U2) going to be a part of it..
Or something like that.
Point is - the biggest band in the world is not going away anytime soon and the competition is getting really good.
I say more power to Cold Play, Killers, Green Day, and multitudes of others I haven't gotten around to listening too- even Keane. Keep it coming, the battle is on for the greatest of something other.
Works for me:dance:

Last edited:
Coldplay v u2:

-Bono v Chris Martin: how can we make a comparison? Bono is so much cooler, and a middle class apologist.

-The Edge v their lead guitarist: Edge will take all before him.

-Adam Clayton v their bassist: Clayton is the jazz, soul man. Coldplay have some decent basslines, but nothing as distinctive as Clayton's.

-Larry Mullen v their drummer: well, Mullen is just a warhorse and looks great!

So- winners as individuals and team. There is only 1 u2- coldplay can try but ain't got the goods.

elevation2u said:
the killers nor franz do anything for me either, it seems like yet the continuing phase that started with the strokes, hives, vines..young blokes ripping off music before their time:huh:

Yeah, like U2 weren't, in their early 80's phase, not accused of ripping off bands like Television, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gang of Four and were actually considered to be a Division 2 band, compared to the Bunnymen and Joy Division.

Edit cos just remembered Bono liked to compare what U2 could achieve to bands like the Who. Now I like the Edge but he sure ain't no Pete Townshend! You want charisma! Pete's got it in bucketloads!!!!! :love:

Last edited:
lrcllb said:
Coldplay v u2:

-Bono v Chris Martin: how can we make a comparison? Bono is so much cooler, and a middle class apologist.

-Adam Clayton v their bassist: Clayton is the jazz, soul man. Coldplay have some decent basslines, but nothing as distinctive as Clayton's.

So- winners as individuals and team. There is only 1 u2- coldplay can try but ain't got the goods.

how can anyone ever argue with this?

the facts speak for themselves. well played.

blueeyedgirl said:

Yeah, like U2 weren't, in their early 80's phase, not accused of ripping off bands like Television, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gang of Four and were actually considered to be a Division 2 band, compared to the Bunnymen and Joy Division.

Edit cos just remembered Bono liked to compare what U2 could achieve to bands like the Who. Now I like the Edge but he sure ain't no Pete Townshend! You want charisma! Pete's got it in bucketloads!!!!! :love:

They weren't accused of ripping off band such as these because Bono has actually said they were influenced by some of these groups.

Pete Townsend and Larry are two totally different types of drummers and Larry has always said he doesn't have the formal training that alot of drummer's do.
But damn, he does do a hell of a job for what he does know.
Needless to say it's served him & U2 well..:rockon:

sue4u2 said:

Pete Townsend and Larry are two totally different types of drummers and Larry has always said he doesn't have the formal training that alot of drummer's do.
But damn, he does do a hell of a job for what he does know.
Needless to say it's served him & U2 well..:rockon:

Pete Townsend's a drummer? :ohmy: :huh:

I thought he was a guitarist.

Now Keith Moon was a drummer.... :yes:

sue4u2 said:
Pete Townsend and Larry are two totally different types of drummers

this is classic. the entire debate summed up into one sentence. Jimi Hendrix didn't have that much training as a drummer either...but look what he did.

lrcllb said:
Coldplay v u2:

just a simple fyi:
:wink:

Their lead guitarist:
Jonny Buckland
Musical Likes: The Stone Roses, Ride

Their bass player:
Guy Buckland
Musical Tastes: James Brown, Kool & The Gang, funk and soul.

Their Drummer:
Will Champion
Musical Tastes: Irish folk

I love Coldplay and love U2. I do not think Coldplay are bigger than U2, but like someone posted in here why is it wrong for a band to strive to be bigger than the one who is on top? Competition is good. I also like Radiohead but I am not going to dislike one band over another because musical comparrisons come up. If I like the music and songs you will get my fanship regardless. The fans in here are not getting my $$$ the bands are and that is all that matters to me. :wink:

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Their lead guitarist:
Jonny Buckland
That's funny, 'cause, with a lot of the shoegazer bands like Ride, I barely notice the guitar because it's so thoroughly drowned under layers of reverb. Still great stuff, though.

Oh, and Guy Buckland and Will Champion have got Adam and Larry beat on cool names, if nothing else.

Last edited:
COLDPLAY is boring and overrated. i don't like their music. its like a band has written one song and does repeat that song in an endless loop all the time.:down::down::down:
we need rockers...no poppers !!!

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

just a simple fyi:
:wink:

Their lead guitarist:
Jonny Buckland

Their bass player:
Guy Buckland
Musical Tastes: James Brown, Kool & The Gang, funk and soul.

Their Drummer:
Will Champion
Musical Tastes: Irish folk

Adam and Guy would probably get along well, Adam once said his favorite artist was Bob Marley. Also into R & B, and some groups I've never heard of, Propellor heads?

Hehe Larry sang Irish folk songs.

U2 and Coldplay get along better than some of their fans do, it would seem.

jacobus said:
COLDPLAY is boring and overrated. i don't like their music. its like a band has written one song and does repeat that song in an endless loop all the time.:down::down::down:
we need rockers...no poppers !!!

I've heard people use the exact same argument when talking about U2.

u2popmofo said:

I've heard people use the exact same argument when talking about U2.

Yeah me too, "U2 songs all sound the same" but those who say that, can't possibly be that familiar with U2 to say that.

I recently heard Boomerang II, at first it has like a traditional Japanese style intro, gets faster and Adam sings on it!

I never get those arguments.

Adam's not really regarded as one of the best bassist in rock, yet, how many bassists have such a memorable, signature bass riff like "New year's Day?" I'm told it's not even a hard line to play, but watch the crowds go nuts the second he starts that intro.

*pictures Coldplay doing Discotheque video*

ROTFL!

*pictures any band doing discotheque video*

:laugh:

If only more bands could be this silly, goofing around like that.

rjhbonovox said:

And do you think that if U2 had released the very overrated (at least on here) SYCMIOYO against the frog crap it would have still made number one???? Me thinks not!

Can't be bothered thinking about that, as it didn't happen. I'm just gonna bask in the Frogs glory on sunday, and laugh at Coldplay's expense.

In that respect, I guess I treat U2 like my football team. And I remember how pissed off I was when 'Stuck..' was beaten to no.1 by Atomic Kitten (of all ppl)
So I shall enjoy the news come 7pm on sunday.:sexywink:

:lightbulb: guys, guys...you all know everyone uses the "all their songs sound the same!" argument for any band they dislike, right?

the only bands i can think of where it actually applies are bon jovi and creed. :wink: (i kid, i kid, unless no one here's a fan of either in which case fuck yeah! lol)

KhanadaRhodes said:
:lightbulb: guys, guys...you all know everyone uses the "all their songs sound the same!" argument for any band they dislike, right?

the only bands i can think of where it actually applies are bon jovi and creed. :wink: (i kid, i kid, unless no one here's a fan of either in which case fuck yeah! lol)

I think just Jick was a die-hard Jovi fan!:wink:

Cheers,

A747

The idea that all of Coldplay's songs sound the same is more than a bit naff. I could see that argument - sort of - for Parachutes. But it's just not the case for Rush of Blood.

Even if you look at just the singles ... In My Place, God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, The Scientist, Clocks ... you can't argue that they all sound the same. Four completely different tempos and structures. They're as varied as four singles that U2 ever released from the same album, with the exception of Zooropa, which only had three singles anyway. And that's not even mentioning Politic.

We want to be better than Mozart. That doesn't mean we are, but that's what we're trying for. To me, there's no point in trying for anything less."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Only one person in this threat mentoined this utterly stupid comment from the increasingly annoying frontman of Coldplay. used to be briefly charmed by them but for God sake people they are soooooooooo boring'...Charisma??? ZERO Points...Everybody keeps mentioning U2 versus Coldplay...ehhhh wake up please

Chris Martin should be committed for mentioning Mozarts name when talking about himself or his U2-cloneband...it's pathetic...

Mozart must be smiling down from heaven thinking
"I wrote don Giovanni and this guy wants to do better ":lmao:

Well Chris: good luck with your efforts but speed of light is not exactely the Requiem...good luck with making your own fruitfamily...

Fantastic quote by the superior Thom Yorke by the way

Back
Top Bottom