Marillion,Porcupine Tree.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shredzilla

The Fly
Has anyone heard either of these bands? Nobody really knows them but I'm sure every U2 fan would love Marillion-Marbles.
Porcupine Tree. In Absentia is amazing aswell.

Marillion has never really struck me. I recognise their importance as one of the leading neo-progressive rock bands, but they just don't do it for me. That said, This Is The 21st Century is an absolutely fantastic song.

The almighty Porcupine Tree, on the other hand? Let me say this now: with the possible exception of Anathema, Porcupine Tree is the most under-rated band in the world. Steven Wilson is a musical genius (seriously, everything he touches turns to gold, from Porcupine Tree to Blackfield to Opeth), his voice is one of the best I have ever heard, his lyrics are excellent, and Porcupine Tree should be big, bigger than U2 even. OK, so I like Porcupine Tree more than U2. It's just that you don't get much better than Steven Wilson, whether he's making the music or producing it.

The diversity of Porcupine Tree's work is excellent, from psychedelic soundscapes to progressive metal riffing to great melodies, and we need more bands with such an artistic attitude. Steven Wilson's attack on bland manufactured music in The Sound Of Muzak is simply brilliant:

The music of the future will not entertain
It's just meant to repress and neutralise your brain
[...]
Now the sound of music comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you building cheaper thrills
The music of rebellion makes you wanna rage
But it's made by millionaires who are nearly twice your age

I could go on and on about Porcupine Tree, but I'll stop myself now and simply say that everyone should buy the Stupid Dream album. Best album of 1999 without a doubt. Oh, and In Absentia and Deadwing are two of the best albums of the 2000s, and I'm sure Pink Floyd fans will enjoy The Sky Moves Sideways album.

I own the Porcupine Tree album that came out last year, but I've yet to listen to it. Bought it after reading a ton about it at another forum I frequent, just haven't gotten around to listening to it. I really like the "single" from it, the pretty slow song. I forget the title.

I only know Marillion with Fish, like the first 3 albums. They were incredible - and incredible live... Stopped listening to them ages ago :|

Marillion , I love this band, they are quite brilliant.

You need to hear ,these two masterpieces, with Fish vocales in full flight:

Misplaced Childhood

Clutching at straws.

Two , true fuckingwonderfultastic pieces of music, not musak.

DarkAcrobat said:

Misplaced Childhood

Clutching at straws.

vocals not vocales.:wink:

u2popmofo said:
I own the Porcupine Tree album that came out last year, but I've yet to listen to it. Bought it after reading a ton about it at another forum I frequent, just haven't gotten around to listening to it. I really like the "single" from it, the pretty slow song. I forget the title.

You mean Lazarus? Great song, that one. The album's quality, I highly recommend it. Especially the title track, Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, and Mellotron Scratch. I think it's really meant to be appreciated on headphones, though.

DarkAcrobat said:

Misplaced Childhood

Clutching at straws.

'Script From A Jester's Tear' as well :drool:

Back
Top Bottom