Manic street preachers - where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I only know of the hits/singles, and I've been meaning to get to know them a bit more.

Do they have a Best of or should I start with one of their "regular" albums?

Start with their Best Of which is called 'Forever Delayed: Greatest Hits' Quite a good compilation of their material in my opinion. A few purists would say it doesn't cover ALL their best work but what Best Of ever does? It would be the frugal choice in my book and give you an idea of which of their styles you like. Enjoy.

After Forever Delayed, if you like their harder edged stuff, definitely go for The Holy Bible.....it just rocks and is perfect:wink:

LJT said:
After Forever Delayed, if you like their harder edged stuff, definitely go for The Holy Bible.....it just rocks and is perfect:wink:

I agree in every way possible. :up:

After Forever Delayed and The Holy Bible, I'd probably go with Lifeblood.

LJT said:

And I'll give a third vote to this approach. :up:

I started with their greatest hits collection, and it left me wanting more. Their music can really be all over the map as you look across their entire career, so I find that Forever Delayed gives you a tiny bit of everything to try out. After that, as others have said, I'd go with The Holy Bible (more rocking) or Lifeblood (more subdued).

And if you really fall in love with them, check out the book "Everything (A Book about Manic Street Preachers)." The band's biography is fascinating.

HeartlandGirl said:

And if you really fall in love with them, check out the book "Everything (A Book about Manic Street Preachers)." The band's biography is fascinating.

Fine, I'll read it already! Sheeesh.

:wink:

I'll chorus for 'Everything Must Go' as an alternative to starting with 'Forever Delayed'. While it's not representative of their output as a career, it's a very tight album with their best-known song ('A Design For Life') and loads of great tracks (only 'Further Away' falls a bit flat).

*takes notes*

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll either try out Forever delayed or The Holy Bible and take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom