Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Great album. It's got quite an 80s touch to it - shades of New Order especially - and very little angry politico-ranting, for better or for worse. In related news, they're also releasing a 3-cd edition of the Holy Bible album in December.

A few comments:

1. Damn these late American release dates! I did hear the song "Fragments" though, and it was very good.

2. Mofo and I are planning to get each other The Holy Bible for Christmas. And now they're coming out with a 3-CD edition? :ohmy: Whatever shall we do? :wink:

3. It's about time, EP.

EP: Email me (you've got my gmail address, I think, if not it's on my AOTM profile) and we'll work something out.

HG: Fragments is indeed a very cool song. As for The Holy Bible, would Nicky Wire REALLY want you to be so capitalist and establishmentarianist? 'Course not! Steal it. :wink:

and now this is where I take off...

Various Lifeblood Articles:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,1316289,00.html
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/low_res/story.jsp?story=575980&host=5&dir=229

Various music videos/short films from the new album are available on the official website at http://www.manics.co.uk. Incidentally I think they've just released their entire back catalogue on Itunes. Also features the band's 'Top 10s' which is extremely High Fidelity.

News about THB:

The Holy Bible: 10th Anniversary Edition
The details for the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Holy Bible has now been confirmed. The re-issue will be a double CD with a bonus DVD. So far it looks like the DVD will be available in PAL-format only.

The tracklisting is as follows:

Disc 1: The Holy Bible (Digitally Remastered)
1. Yes
2. Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit’sworldwouldfallapart
3. Of Walking Abortion
4. She Is Suffering
5. Archives Of Pain
6. Revol
7. 4st 7lb
8. Mausoleum
9. Faster
10. This Is Yesterday
11. Die In The Summertime
12. The Intense Humming Of Evil
13. P.C.P.
14. The Intense Humming Of Evil - Live
15. 4st 7lb - Live
16. Yes - Live
17. Of Walking Abortion - Live

Disc 2: The Holy Bible (US Mix)
1. Yes
2. Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit’sworldwouldfallapart
3. Of Walking Abortion
4. She Is Suffering
5. Archives Of Pain
6. Revol
7. 4st 7lb
8. Mausoleum
9. Faster
10. This Is Yesterday
11. Die In The Summertime
12. The Intense Humming Of Evil
13. P.C.P.
14. Die In The Summertime - Demo
15. Mausoleum - Demo
16. Of Walking Abortion - Radio 1 Evening Session
17. She Is Suffering - Radio 1 Evening Session
18. Yes - Radio 1 Evening Session

Disc 3: The Holy Bible (Bonus DVD)
1. Faster - Top Of The Pops
2. Faster - Butt Naked
3. P.C.P. - Butt Naked
4. She Is Suffering - Butt Naked
5. 4st 7lb - MTV Most Wanted
6. She Is Suffering - MTV Most Wanted
7. Faster - Glastonbury ‘94
8. Yes - Glastonbury ‘94
9. Yes - Glastonbury ‘94
10. Revol - Reading 94′
11. Faster - US Video
12. Judge Yr’self - Video
13. Yes - New Film
14. Band Interviews (30 mins)
DVD Hidden Extras:
1. Faster - Video
2. Revol - Video
3. She Is Suffering - Video

The release date is set to December 6.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that Holy Bible isnt being released in the US, or isnt for a long time at least. Stupid Europe.

:grumpy:
:angry:

I heard 'The Love of Richard Nixon'... I don't understand what this song is trying to say. If Watergate hadn't happened, we'd love Tricky Dick? But the lyrics don't really say that, either. I'm confused.

Why do lyrics have to be ambiguous?

"The Love of Richard Nixon", a single with a typically provocative title, is number one as we go to press. It appears to be another case of sympathy for the devil. "The main thrust of the song," Wire explains, "is the idea of being tarnished with a certain part of your life forever. With us, people might think of Richey's disappearance, or 4 REAL.

"With Nixon, people will always associate him with Watergate and being a crook, not the fact that he was the first president to go to China to build up relations. Or the way he de-escalated the arms race with the Soviet Union - quite admirable things. Whereas Kennedy for instance, when you analyse it, he was the first president to put troops into Vietnam. He sanctioned the Bay of Pigs - besides his moral disaster zone of shagging everything in sight."

"If you take someone like JFK," agrees Bradfield, "Bay of Pigs was undeniably American imperialism, akin to what Reagan was doing with the Contras. There were the assassination attempts on Castro. He forced the Soviet Union's hand with the missiles in Cuba, and everyone knows Bush stole the election, but JFK stole 'his' election. Now, if you put Nixon next to JFK, I would probably be so liberally wet that I'd go with JFK."

Wire, who has watched Oliver Stone's Nixon twice or three times a year since it came out, continues: "There's always been a ridiculousness to Manic Street Preachers. Not humour, not funny-ha ha, but a question of 'Do they really mean it?' But there's probably more empathy [with Nixon] than I should admit. Nixon wasn't a good president, but he wasn't George W Bush. He was a brilliant man, and not all Republican presidents have been. I do think he's a fascinating character, particularly in today's climate. He probably ended the Vietnam war. Whatever you think his reasons were - and conspiracy theories abound - he signed off at the end of it ... If Radiohead are Kennedy," he smiles, switching to soundbite mode, "then Manic Street Preachers are Nixon: the ugly duckling who had to try 10 times harder than anyone else. Paranoid megalomaniacs."

Last edited:
Interesting. I read once that Nixon was also a manic obsessive about neatness who would chase children off his front lawn after he'd raked it clean of leaves.

u2popmofo said:
I'm guessing that Holy Bible isnt being released in the US, or isnt for a long time at least. Stupid Europe.

:grumpy:
:angry:

From fd:

According to www.billboard.com the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Holy Bible will get a North American release. The 2CD+DVD set will be in the shops February 8, and the DVD will obviously be compatible with North American DVD players (Region 1).

More information can be found here

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000731493

The 10th Anniversary Edition of The Holy Bible is released in the UK December 6.

yertle-the-turtle said:

From fd:

According to www.billboard.com the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Holy Bible will get a North American release. The 2CD+DVD set will be in the shops February 8, and the DVD will obviously be compatible with North American DVD players (Region 1).

The 10th Anniversary Edition of The Holy Bible is released in the UK December 6.

Woohoo!!!! I saw this info on Pitchfork the other day, but I never realized there was a DVD. That's awesome!!!

I'm also excited for Lifeblood on the 21st!!! Boo ya. :up:

Whoops, I didn't even see this thread. MSP are brilliant. I have to wait on my order thru Amazon.com So in the meantime, I am listening to 'Empty Souls' over, and over, and over, and over...

yertle-the-turtle said:

From fd:

For some reason it got delayed and came out today in North America. I'm listening to the original album right now for the first time.....wow. Wow. I'm impressed, wow. Did I mention that this album is 'wow' worthy? It is. Wow.

Anyways, everyone pick it up.

I'll be getting this as soon as possible, most likely via amazon. :sexywink:

:up:

And if anyone still hasn't joined me in my appreciation of James Dean Bradfield, go read my journal! :angry:

:wink:

The Holy Bible rocks. Wow is right. :combust:

Favorites so far are "Archives of Pain" and "Die in the Summertime."

Aardvark747 said:
I'm gonna give this album another spin later today. I havent listened to it for a good few weeks, so i'll see if my opinion has changed on it yet...

...and finally is has! Now my fave Manics album! 'Song for a departure' and 'To repel ghosts' are my faves, but the whole album has now won me over!:wink:

I love 'I live to fall asleep' and 'Fragments', this album is great stuff! And the songs are even better live!

I feel bad that this is my first post and is not about U2 :( ... my bad

Welcome to the board, paintedroses. I think it's great that your first post was about Manics! :D

Don't even get me started on them right now. I recently finished their biography and haven't been able to stop listening to them since.

HeartlandGirl said:
Welcome to the board, paintedroses. I think it's great that your first post was about Manics! :D

Thanks! I can't get enough of them either, I hadn't heard much from them until my friend took me to see them on the Lifeblood tour, then I was hooked and went and bought all their albums and saw them twice again! Holy Bible is the best!

I'm jealous that you got to see them--it sounds fantastic! It will be a cold day in hell, I'm afraid, before the Manics ever come back to the U.S. Glad to hear the tour was great, though! And I agree that The Holy Bible is so, so good.

They sounded fantastic when they toured earlier this year, me and my mate used to be pretty big fans but kind of forgot about them I guess. Terrible thing to say really but I picked up a pair of tickets on ebay for a tenner and we were blown away there aren't many songs that sound as good live as Motorcycle Emptiness.

I think Know Your Enemy is a lot better than some people would have you believe - SHOW ME A WONDER.

...YOU CAN'T BE SURE OF - great album. I didn't really like Lifeblood, and I'm not a (studio) Generation Terrorists fan either, although those songs are great live. Everything Must Go is probably my favourite, the one I include in any 'albums you must own' list.

I've seen them a few times now and they are one of my most admired bands, if I was to list, probably second to U2, they are in my 'amount of music' charts, about 25 hours says iTunes. I got a couple of pairs of tickets for cheap on eBay too, they're the best live band I've seen bar U2, especially as they have so many songs made to be played live, stuff like Stay Beautiful, Motown Junk and You Love Us. Whereabouts have did you see them tarquin & paintedroses?
I best stop now or I'll start to ramble.

If you resurface this thread in late September/early October I will upload a bootleg or two for you, if none of you have any. I have no internet at the moment.

I saw them in Wembley Arena last December I think it was, on the Lifeblood tour.. that was a cold, cold day to spend queuing on the pavement!! Then I went to Southampton Guildhall and London at the Hammersmith Apollo in April. Where did you go?

Yeah they are really impressive live, and I love that I got into them by seeing them live when usually I'll know the albums inside out before I go to see a band, it was a great way to get into them. And not having to wait too long to see them again was good!

A bootleg would be great RA-D cheers, I think I downloaded one of the shows I went to but have probably lost it - not very organised!

A bootleg would be very nice, RA-D. :yes:

And I really like Know Your Enemy. For a while, it was my favorite Manics album. The first half of it is especially ace. :up:

Back
Top Bottom