Man Dies After Winning Vodka-Drinking Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
MOSCOW (Reuters) - A vodka-drinking competition in a southern Russian town ended in tragedy with the winner dead and several runners-up in intensive care.

"The competition lasted 30, perhaps 40 minutes and the winner downed three half-liter bottles. He was taken home by taxi but died within 20 minutes," said Roman Popov, a prosecutor pursuing the case in the town of Volgodonsk.

"Five contestants ended up in intensive care. Those not in hospital turned up the next day, ostensibly for another drink."

Popov said the director of the shop organizing this month's contest had been charged with manslaughter. He had offered 10 liters of vodka to the competitor drinking the most in the shortest time.

Russians drink the equivalent of 15 liters of pure alcohol per head annually, one of the highest rates in the world. Some experts estimate one in seven Russians is an alcoholic.

God that's awful.

I remember drinking like 10 shots at a New Years party once and I swear I thought I was going to die.

A friend of mine from high school was drinking hard alcohol in a hot tub at a party and fell asleep and drowned.

Drinking can be very dangerous :crack:

It's like those hazing parties in colleges here. It's not worth dying for. I bet he thought he could hold it, but doesn't everybody.

I had a potentially near fatal incident involving vodka about five years ago.

honestly, a vodka drinking contest is just asking for that sort of thing to happen. :down:

I swore off Vodka for years after a few passing out and puking in bed incidents. I recently starting drinking it again but in moderation.

i can drink vodka only in mix with something

, like orange juice or coke

, and alcohol is no good for me

, bads genes

, cause if i drink , i get drunk

, if i get drunk ,there comes the trouble

, i go wild ,

go figure ,

naturally i'm so shy

, like an angel :wink:

People often forget that technically alcohol is poison. That's what a hangover is all about, folks. First you feel good, then you feel sick, then you die.

3 half litre bottles...My God, imagine a 2 litre milk bottle. I couldn't drink that much milk, let alone vodka straight.

Very sad with some of your stories in here too.
:huh:

Sicy said:
A friend of mine from high school was drinking hard alcohol in a hot tub at a party and fell asleep and drowned.

Drinking can be very dangerous :crack:
yeah i know. we have a pool and hot tub at the apartments i work at on the weekends, and we've banned all alcohol there (mainly because of the mess those who'd drink would make). but before that we just banned it in the hot tub. no one could understand why we won't let them have a few beers and sit in the hot tub. between the alcohol and the hot tub you can dehydrate really fast and pass out. :crack:

i can't believe people thought drinking that much alcohol in such a short period of time wouldn't lead to death. i guess the russians don't know about alcohol poisoning?

I was waiting for the quote you always see from a friend or family member in these stories of premature death..."At least he died doing something he loved!"

Its stuff like this that drives me nuttz especially when you experience it first hand. When you play hockey for a big 10 university you see some crazy shit man.

Back
Top Bottom