Madonna--"Hung Up"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Madonna :drool:

I've loved her since the beginning of her career, except for a sappy party in the early 90s (Everytime I try to think of that album name I can only think of "Stories for Boys" but I know it's something like Bedtime Stories! :lol: ).

About to go listen to her new single right now!

no it's not S.O.S, I think it's Gimme Gimme Gimme

(sorry, edit to say just saw it had already been asnwered)

Last edited:
Yeah, the new Madonna song is great, and I guess the new album - Confessions on a dancefloor - will be too.
I know the album is composed by 12 non-stop tracks. With the exception on the 11th track 'Isaak', all the songs are up-tempo and follow diverse styles as disco, dance music, trance, rock, techno...

I like Madonna, 'cause I think it's a woman with balls. She does not have a great voice, but she's huge in comparison with other singers.
My fave albums are Like a prayer (I love 'Oh Father') and Ray of light, but IMO, her best album to date is the worst-selling and unfairly criticized American Life... what a great album for a singer like her...!
I have seen her live here in Lisbon, September 2004, and it was amazing. The girl impressed me as I wasn't expecting.

It's awesome! Just heard it at the official site. I like it much better than Music, the one that turned me away from her stuff. After Ray Of Light, Music sounded really bad to me. But this one's real groovy! Maybe the ABBA sample has something to do with it, maybe not. Cos it's a pretty catchy tune as it is. Probably not as good as Beautiful Stranger, though.

Zoomerang96 said:
what's wrong with madonna? i don't like her really old stuff, but ray of light, music, etc. are great songs. actually, that whole ray of light album is stellar, at least the singles are anyway.

Haha...all I like is her old stuff. Or, at least, in the context of a "Greatest Hits" album. I think a lot of her songs that don't make the radio can be pretty bad, but the ones that make it are very catchy indeed.

Melon

Zootlesque said:
It's awesome! Just heard it at the official site. I like it much better than Music, the one that turned me away from her stuff. After Ray Of Light, Music sounded really bad to me. But this one's real groovy! Maybe the ABBA sample has something to do with it, maybe not. Cos it's a pretty catchy tune as it is. Probably not as good as Beautiful Stranger, though.

I wasn't a big fan of the lead self-titled single for "Music", but it eventually grew on me. I know that Mirwais-produced sound that pervades the album is a little weird and can be grating. There's 10 songs on the album and a couple feel like filler.

However, I think that the techno-country thing she did on Don't Tell Me was nothing short of brilliant, and the mostly acoustic album closer Gone is one of the high points of her career. She seems to be channeling a much better singer on that track, like Joni or Emmylou Harris.

The most underrated thing on the record for me though, is What It Feels Like For A Girl, which may be among her greatest singles ever, and I never felt it became the classic it should have. The single version was a remix that took all the feeling out of the song. It was written partially as advice to all the skanky young starlets (Britney, Christina) that I think Madonna felt were growing up too fast. Great fucking piece of songwriting, and her vocal on that track is up there as well, even if she probably couldn't reproduce it outside the studio.

Love the song, love ABBA, can't wait for the album!

I really disliked American Life, found it really disappointing. American Life the single, however, was (and still is) incredible ... except for that horriffic rap section.

I like Music quite a bit, and have always loved Like a Prayer and Ray of Light. Great stuff! Would love to see her live someday.

I think American Life is very underated. IMO it's her best album. Very introspective and with deep lyrics. About the songs themselves, they we're great. The title track is just first single, but there are best songs there as 'Intervention', 'Nobody knows me', 'Mother and father', 'Easy ride', 'I'm so stupid'. I like the mixture or the Mirways sound and with lots of acoustic/electric guitars, sound sometimes like Depeche Mode, someting like that.
The album flopped because of American sales (because of the first 2 tracks that sounded too political and like a punch for some... guys). Here in Europe the album was quite successful.

I hope the new album beats American Life, Ray Of Light, Erotica or Like a Prayer...

Aygo said:
I think American Life is very underated. IMO it's her best album. Very introspective and with deep lyrics.

Funny, the thing about this record that I don't like is the lyrics which I thought the two times I listened to it (before putting it away forever) is that the lyrics sound like high school poetry. Sorry. :reject: Madonna may indeed have deep thoughts but she's not a good writer imo which is why I've always preferred fun Madonna to trying-to-be-deep Madonna.

Funny, the thing about this record that I don't like is the lyrics which I thought the two times I listened to it (before putting it away forever) is that the lyrics sound like high school poetry. Sorry. Madonna may indeed have deep thoughts but she's not a good writer imo which is why I've always preferred fun Madonna to trying-to-be-deep Madonna

Well, maybe when you said that you were thinking about that rap part in 'American life' or 'Die another day', but try to hear tracks 3 to 9 and you'll understand what I'm saying.
I do not prefer the funny Madonna cause she sounds silly like that, but I like a good pop album - like Madonna does perfectly - with good and conscious lyrics.

one4u2 said:
There is an mtv special tonight I think at 10 pm

I am watching it right now. I can't take my eyes off of the tv, and I never thought I was a Madonna fan before. :ohmy:

Ok, I will admit Gimme Gimme Gimme is an ok production.
redstripeslayer.gif
One of my ABBA faves is Dancing Queen, but the original is too perfect anyway, she might have fucked it up like she did with American Pie.

The intro of Gimme x3 could be a little more.. sure I like the opening filters but how often is it that I heard those.

Everyone likes Ray of Light. Its more a William Orbit album though..

So Madonna! Punk girl! Bitch! Dancer! Back after the American Life disaster (her lowest selling album by the way). She does a lot of publicity stunts at the moment.
genervt9.gif

Aygo said:
I think American Life is very underated. IMO it's her best album. Very introspective and with deep lyrics. About the songs themselves, they we're great. The title track is just first single, but there are best songs there as 'Intervention', 'Nobody knows me', 'Mother and father', 'Easy ride', 'I'm so stupid'. I like the mixture or the Mirways sound and with lots of acoustic/electric guitars, sound sometimes like Depeche Mode, someting like that.
The album flopped because of American sales (because of the first 2 tracks that sounded too political and like a punch for some... guys). Here in Europe the album was quite successful.

I tried to like this album, but I really can't stand it outside of "Hollywood." I do like that one. And many of the lyrics annoy the hell out of me, so I would really disagree in terms of describing the lyrics as "deep."

I hope the new album beats American Life, Ray Of Light, Erotica or Like a Prayer...

I'm listening to the radio edit of "Hung Up" right now. It already blows "American Life" out of the water, and will probably be her most epic album since "Ray of Light." I'd accuse her of ripping off of Kylie Minogue or Cher, but both of them were just ripping off of "Ray of Light"-era Madonna anyway. How things go full circle.

Melon

Aygo said:

Well, maybe when you said that you were thinking about that rap part in 'American life' or 'Die another day', but try to hear tracks 3 to 9 and you'll understand what I'm saying.
I do not prefer the funny Madonna cause she sounds silly like that, but I like a good pop album - like Madonna does perfectly - with good and conscious lyrics.

Sorry, but I do not find any of the lyrics on American Life to be "deep." Again, that's not to say that Madonna does not have deep thoughts or that she isn't a deep person but that lyrics are not her strength, imo. The lyrics on American Life almost make me laugh in fact. Good lyrics are certainly not a requirement for me to appreciate good pop music either but I just couldn't find much on American Life to connect with. Also, I said I prefer "fun" Madonna--not "funny" Madonna--two different things. Anyway, it doesn't matter--we both adore Madonna and it doesn't have to be for the same reasons.

I just realized at the movies the other night that Hung Up is in a commercial they show before the trailers..I think it's for a cell phone that has iTunes on it. I've been seeing that commercial at the movies for over a month now.

Madonna is in the commercial as are some other musicians

Zoomerang96 said:
you know i was thinking i'd make this thread myself today as i heard the song on the radio. it kicks ass, and definitely gives me hope for pop music.

If it's the ABBA song you're talking about then....:scratch:

People writing beautiful new pop songs would give us hope for pop music. Digging up old songs and putting some electronic crap on top of it, won't change the world of music.

'American Life' - sigh. It had such potential. Lets put it this way - I have amix CD with 21 Madonna tracks - 4 come from 'AL' - 'Holywood', 'Die Another Day', 'Nothing Fails' and 'Nobody Knows Me'. Frankly the rest is a bit diabolical. I see what she was trying to achieve - but goddamn - Mirwais' bleepy shit just annoys the hell out of me.

'Hung Up' is excellent though - and will be the new track 21 on my next Madonna mix. Sorry 'Where's The Party' - you will have to be cut from the playlist to make way for the new - you are now the weakest link!

This is one of the greatest pops songs of the last 5 years by a distance. I've never considered myself a madonna fan really, I saw the VOgue video for the first ever time on holiday and was blown away, it's fantastic. Heard this yesterday and downlaoded it when I got home, it's incredible.

It's so good to hear an artist try something different and for it to work. I didn't think this time last wee I'd be buying the new madonna album, but I may not be able to resist.

Back
Top Bottom