Mad Men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the opening twofer when it premiered, and now I've binged on demand up to date. Even if there's ultimately looming disaster for Don, I'm far more fond of Megan than at the season 4 finale. Weiner and co have done a good job luring me back in. Seeing Sally with Megan's parents really underlined how much has changed since Betty and Don.

Hmmm ... so after 2 years, Pete's life insurance covers suicide.

I never ever pick up on things, so I'm going to call that foreshadowing, just in case I've finally picked up on something this time.

or it's a total red herring, which is more likely the case.

And I'm typing this all of 5 minutes into the episode. I just wanted to put this on the internet for posterity in case I'm right. :wink:

Shit, halfway through the episode, I thought SHE was going to off herself.

Also, how much of their budget did they have to blow through to get that Beatles song?

I was surprised they ponied up for it too. But D-Drapes rocking one of my Mt. Rushmore Beatles tunes is just fine with me.

No word from the Gaf Man yet. The situation has probably rendered him catatonic. They've historically kept away from getting big names to come in, so I was a bit surprised to see her.

Don and Megan are headed for trouble, I think he sees it coming.

Pete, what is Trudy thinking when he is downtown in a hotel at 12:30 am. And what was up with that malfunctioning elevator, you would think Don would have done more than just look and walk away.
I say someone is going down, fast.

Vincent Kartheiser is the luckiest son of a bitch in the world.

You've got Annie Edison at home, and a little Rory Gilmore on the side. And Pete's having ego problems!

Matt Weiner evidently wanted Alexis Bledel to be channeling January Jones.

My cable box is on the blink giving me only black & white TV, which was kind of cool with Mad Men. And the mic on my 2-month old lemon iPhone 4S is dead so people can only hear me if I use my headset.

So today I get to visit the Genius Bar to return my crap iPhone, and the Idiot Bar to exchange my cable box. :happy:

Anyway, great episode. I have no idea who Alex Bledel is. You know you're old when all 30 year old actresses look alike.

I liked te episode, but agree with the broad criticism that this season has been a bit too on-the-nose with its historical references.

Or maybe I'm just much, much more familiar with the late 1960s than the early 1960s and discovering that in the first early seasons was such a joy.

Loved Peggy smoking pot and working late.

I also foresee doom for Megan, actually. In some kind of unexpected way.

I took the elevator shaft as kind of a Great Leap Into The Unknown, that now that things are coming out of the box we do t know what's ahead.

i thought she was the weakest part of the episode. far too young to be married to that d-bag from the train. and i thought she looked a bit like Betty Boop.

I never watched the Gilmore Girls, the actress looked familiar, I thought of this person,

carla-gugino-20070513-255316.jpg

but, I guess she is older now.

The age thing, the wife could have been late 20s and the insurance guy mid 30s. So not that wrong. Her get-up, look?
my guess she is trying to appeal to him.

My complaint, is that they have done a pretty good job developing Pete, and now they are making him look a little idiotic and desperate. Yes, we did have that one episode where Trudie, is very controlling in a competent kind of way.
So one can deduce why is not happy at home. And we do know enough of his back story, to know that the silver spoon that everyone believes about him is not true. It seems he had no real connection with either parent, and no affection either.

At least with Don, I was left with the impression that Don had a connection with his father, even though he realized he was a real son of a bitch.

yeah, Pete wasn't terribly upset when his father died in that plane crash in Season 2.

i think he's self-aware enough to know that he's kind of a douchebag, and that he wants something more and something better, but he's deeply selfish and self-centered -- his two most immediate character sketch moments for me were when he was in the brothel and wanted the prostitute to be all "you're my king" and last night when she commented that his irises were like the pictures of the earth from space and he got obsessed with it.

lots of existential terror in Pete i think. they're all staring into something.

Also, how much of their budget did they have to blow through to get that Beatles song?

I haven't listened to the Beatles in a long while. It's good to be reminded how brilliant they were.

Apparently their getting to use that song was quite the big deal: How 'Mad Men' Landed The Beatles: All You Need Is Love (and $250,000) - NYTimes.com

My complaint, is that they have done a pretty good job developing Pete, and now they are making him look a little idiotic and desperate.

To me, Pete has always been this way.

I really enjoyed this episode. It makes me want to get back into writing and directing somehow. Perhaps, I've been inspired by Megan? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom