M$ Internet Explorer and "index.dat"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Curious how many people realize this fact, but when you run Internet Explorer on Windows, it compiles a file of all the URLs you access in a file called "index.dat." Most curiously, it also hides the file in a folder that one can only access if you type in the exact folder path in the address bar, even if you have hidden and system files showing in your preferences. Even at that, you can't delete the file easily; only if you have a multi-user login and you delete other users' "index.dat" files.

Deleting the file has no negative effect on your system, and, after deleting it, IE just starts all over again in rebuilding the file.

Don't you love a lack of privacy?

Melon

Go to the menu.

Hit "Tools" --> "Internet Options" --> "Settings" button --> "View Files" button.

You're in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder. Without deleting anything in the address bar, add "\CONTENT.IE5" (no quotes).

It should look similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\....\Temporary Internet Files\CONTENT.IE5

(Note: This is the Win2K / WinXP folder structure. Just make sure that CONTENT.IE5 is appended to the Temporary Internet Files folder like this)

Hit "Enter" to go in (or the "Go" button) and you'll find your file.

Melon

Last edited:
Actually, there's three "index.dat" files. One in CONTENT.IE5 and two in the "History" folder. Turning your page history to 0 days does no good. It still compiles the URLs.

Don't you love Micro$oft?

Melon

DiGi said:
I F$cking hate them....Melon are you a web developer?

Yup...I do web design, multimedia design, video production, and have some audio production knowledge (but I'm really rusty on that right now).

Melon

This is one reason why I stay away form IE, I prefer Opera.......plus my IT department dosent keep tabs on Opera the way they do on IE.....:wink:

For a while now I'm a Mozilla user. Since 2 days I'm also trying out Phoenix (which is based on Mozilla). They are great, with better features than IE and no snooping around (both programs are Open Source, so the code is available for everyone to view and scrutinize it).

It will be a better day when there is no more IE.

C ya!

Marty

dipster said:
If you periodically delete your cookies, history and temporary internet files, does it have any effect on the index.dat files?

No. The index.dat files keep the URL entries, and anyone with the right kind of viewer program (I downloaded a freeware program, for instance) can look at all the URLs you've visited. The only way to get away is to either not use IE or to periodically delete the index.dat files. But, as I said above, that is not easy, and it is constructed that way on purpose.

Melon

melon said:
Curious how many people realize this fact

*raises hand*

But this is only because in my signature at work says.

Network Security

So it would be bad if I did not know that.

:sexywink:

Melon,

Are there any freeware programs to delete or modify the index.dat? It was easy to find viewers, but not so with something to "clean up" this file.

Yes, melon, is there anything for pc illiterates like me, some nice little program that just erases that shit?

And when I got a firewall, can the index.dat data be sent anyway? I guess so, no - because I "allow XP" - or Explorer, logcial enough, to access the net!?!

Is there any program like PGP not only for mails, but for the whole system?

Last edited:
There might be freeware. I haven't really checked, because I just log onto another account on my XP system and remove them manually. I find, however, that most index.dat delete programs cost money.

Secondly, there aren't any worries, currently, that the index.dat data is being sent. In fact, it just stays resident on your computer.

If you want to avoid the index.dat tracking, use a different web browser like Netscape, Opera, or Mozilla.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom