lp7 countdown and anticipation thread - part i

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel"

This line is so Fitter Happier.

Sentimentality is good thing IMO, and the singer is dismissing that as drivel, but it's a part of human existence that cannot be avoided, regardless of logic. Eating saturated fats and avoiding exercise at the gym (three days a week :wink: ) is part of what being a human and avoiding rigidity is all about. Do to otherwise and deny your humanity for the sake of perfection would to be merely an "OK Computer".

If you want to talk about Lucky, I'd be glad to. :wink:

xaviMF22 said:
oh and Kid A and HTTT are by far more "dark" than OKC

I mean

The National Anthem
How to disappear completely
morning bell
idioteque
and especially Motion Picture Soundtrack are not exactly "happy" songs

Hmm...I don't see that. I mean yeah, there are some dark ones on there, but, for one thing, MPS could easily be interpreted as a very positive, hopeful song. It's about death, yes, but it's also about reaching Heaven. Morning Bell isn't that dark lyrically, it's just about the emotional/material ramifications of a divorce. EIIRP is just nothing, as is Kid A and In Limbo. I don't hear a No Surprises or Climbing Up The Walls in there anywhere.

Now HTTT is a different matter all together.

I'm on a roll, I'm on a roll
This time, I feel my luck could change
Kill me Sarah, kill me again with love
It's gonna be a glorious day

Pull me out of the aircrash
Pull me out of the lake
I'm your superhero
We are standing on the edge

The Head of State has called for me by name
But I don't have time for him
It's gonna be a glorious day
I feel my luck could change

Pull me out of the aircrash
Pull me out of the lake
I'm your superhero
We are standing on the edge

To me this song is a continuation of "Airbag" in airbag the narrator got into an accident and was saved by an airbag.
Airbag is about second chances ..
His survival is so incredible, it's as if he's been reborn. The feeling is incredible: "in an interstellar burst i am back to save the universe.

anyway "Lucky" describes the rebirth of that character in "Airbag".....he survived
something awful and is optimistic about the future..he is standing on the Edge:wink:

OK, here's my Lucky interpretation. Keep in mind that, after arguing with me about things for months, xavi, you know I'm a pretty optimistic, funny person on the net (and I'm the same way in real life too, BTW), but this is really how I see it.

A big part of understanding Lucky is the context. One of the main themes of OK Computer is escaping from life, which is considered a terrible place quite often throughout OKC. The song before Lucky, No Surprises, shows the narrator bottoming out completely, not even wishing to complain anymore. In a previous song (Exit Music) he talks to a girl about escaping out of her dad's control. I presume this girl is Sarah, the same one mentioned in Lucky, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm on a roll,
I'm on a roll
This time
I feel my luck could change.

To put it bluntly, the narrator has been hating life for most of the record by this point, and now, at rock bottom, he's been contemplating suicide. Why do I think this?

Kill me Sarah,
kill me again with love,
it's gonna be a glorious day.

Now, you could interpret this section in one of two ways.

1. "Kill me" is not literal, and is being said in more of an "oh, you're killing me" kind of way. It's meant more like emotional turmoil. So at this point you could interpret the paragraph before this differently, if it is not literal. If it is...

2. The line is literal. The line would be said "Kill me again...with love" or "Kill me again, lovingly." It's a dark way to look at it, but it definitely fits.

Pull me out of the aircrash,
Pull me out of the lake,
'cause i'm your superhero,
we are standing on the edge.

To be fair, I really have no guess at what this means. I suppose it could be metaphorical, but the first two lines and the second two lines really don't fit together unless you take the #2 option above. In which case, it definitely fits.

The rest of the song follows that pattern. This is really the low point of the record in a dark sense, and considering the feel of the song, I think the darker interpretation applies.

Zootlesque said:
LP7 "anticipation" = boring to me now. :yawn:

really? i'm enjoying these bitches' lyrics discussion. we never do that in radiohead threads.

U2Man said:

really? i'm enjoying these bitches' lyrics discussion. we never do that in radiohead threads.

I know, this kind of thing never happens at Atease...it's always crap about Thom's lips or arms or how feminine Johnny looks. :crack:

Ok, but seriously, I'd totally tap this:

Jonny+Greenwood+5.jpg

:shifty:

OK Lemonboy :wink:

I really disagree with your Lucky interpretation :wink:

anyway when you have the time lets talk bout Subterranean Homesick Alien"

:drool:

i'm tired of waiting already. they're getting to be as bad as u2 in terms of time between releases.

wah. hear me cry.

but i'm serious when i'm crying.

xaviMF22 said:
OK Lemonboy :wink:

I really disagree with your Lucky interpretation :wink:

anyway when you have the time lets talk bout Subterranean Homesick Alien"

:drool:

SHA, unless I'm mistaken, is simply about wanting to be abducted by aliens; which I might add is the coolest idea for a song ever. :drool: :drool:

The breath of the morning
I keep forgetting
The smell of the warm summer air

I live in a town
Where you can't smell a thing
You watch your feet
For cracks in the pavement

I've always thought that much of OKC took place in a futuristic Orwellian society, sterilized to remove all humanity. Here, that's exactly what's going on. Nobody takes chances, nobody lives, they just do the job assigned to them and die. Hence the person's wish to leave society and be with the aliens, which is where he has convinced himself he belongs.

Up above
Aliens hover
Making home movies
For the folks back home

Of all these weird creatures
Who lock up their spirits
Drill holes in themselves
And live for their secrets

I love this part. "Lock up their spirits" probably is a shot at religion or lack thereof, "Drill holes in themselves" refers to piercings, which were becoming even more an important part of our culture at the time, and "Live for their secrets" says that all human beings live merely to keep themselves and their secrets from being known to other people. Great verse.

They're all uptight
Uptight..

He sees the aliens as being truly free from such emotional blockages and humans as being "uptight", which in the "perfect" society he lives in, they really are.

I wish that they'd swoop down in a country lane
Late at night when I'm driving
Take me on board their beautiful ship
Show me the world as I'd love to see it

I'd tell all my friends
But they'd never believe
They'd think that I'd finally lost it completely

I'd show them the stars
And the meaning of life
They'd shut me away
But I'd be all right
All right..

Pretty self-explanatory.

What a lovely song. :combust::drool:

are we sure that lemonboy is only 16 years old?

this is not the kind of posts you would expect from a 16-year-old.

U2Man said:
are we sure that lemonboy is only 16 years old?

this is not the kind of posts you would expect from a 16-year-old.

you should see how we kids are brainwashed to write in school these days.

analyzing books at AP level in 9th and 10th grade, it's craziness.

LemonMelon said:

SHA, unless I'm mistaken, is simply about wanting to be abducted by aliens; which I might add is the coolest idea for a song ever. :drool: :drool:

I've always thought that much of OKC took place in a futuristic Orwellian society, sterilized to remove all humanity. Here, that's exactly what's going on. Nobody takes chances, nobody lives, they just do the job assigned to them and die. Hence the person's wish to leave society and be with the aliens, which is where he has convinced himself he belongs.

I love this part. "Lock up their spirits" probably is a shot at religion or lack thereof, "Drill holes in themselves" refers to piercings, which were becoming even more an important part of our culture at the time, and "Live for their secrets" says that all human beings live merely to keep themselves and their secrets from being known to other people. Great verse.

He sees the aliens as being truly free from such emotional blockages and humans as being "uptight", which in the "perfect" society he lives in, they really are.

Pretty self-explanatory.

What a lovely song. :combust::drool:

:up:

nothing more to add really :wink:

I can hardly believe HTTT was released in 2003. It feels like it has been at least ten years ago, not four. You'd think that the greater the wait, the more the anticipation...it's actually just making me irritated.

GibsonGirl said:
I can hardly believe HTTT was released in 2003. It feels like it has been at least ten years ago, not four. You'd think that the greater the wait, the more the anticipation...it's actually just making me irritated.

just give it another year :wink:

Is "LP7" referred so at any other site? Does the band call it that? Cos it's still annoying the shit out of me! :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Is "LP7" referred so at any other site? Does the band call it that? Cos it's still annoying the shit out of me! :wink:

its called that among all radiohead fans on all fan boards. people below 14 call it "god". choose which one you find the most annoying yourself. :wink:

U2Man said:

its called that among all radiohead fans on all fan boards. people below 14 call it "god". choose which one you find the most annoying yourself. :wink:

yes true radiohead fans call it "GOD" :wink:

Back
Top Bottom