LOTR snubbed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I think its pretty sadtimes that LOTR didn't get any of the really big awards like Best Film or Best Director...I thought it was shoe-in...I mean, PJ did the impossible with that film!! Maybe they're waiting for the other movies to come out before they give LOTR the sweep but I still think its sad.

anyway, just me ranting

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

yeah, i didn't watch the Oscars last night (was busy watching U2 videos with another fan, woohoo!) but reading the list of winners tonite, I was disappointed. Not only was LOTR snubbed but Moulin Rouge also got a terrible rap. Both very ground-breaking and innovative films in their own way, imo. And I'm very disappointed that Amelie was not chosen for best foreign film.
frown.gif

Actually, this may sound a dumb-dumb question.......but....would it not have been difficult/trouble for LOTR, as its a Trilogy, ending two more Christmases, and having the next two set up for Oscar noms, maybe.....mighta made it a 26 Oscar run..........bit too much, leaving it in danger, blah blah? I dont know.......too much an Oscar win 3 years in a row if it did succeed that!!!!!!!

cool.gif
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Im sorry, me so tired and Pub wont let me sleep on his bloody couch.....so I hope someone can make sense of what asked I....?

Well, I agree that maybe LOTR should have gotten Best Director, because of the way all 3 movies were filmed at the same time, but I don't think it deserved Best Film. I just didn't get that feeling when I saw it.

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooo - oooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooo WISH I'd been there to bend over and kiss Lurhmans ass for making my year.........
mad.gif

2 awards, me disappointed.........BLOODY MAKE-UP IN MR BLOODY BETTER THAN BLOODY LOTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOTR was a good movie, but I don't know how you could expect it to win when it was going up against movies like A Beautiful Mind and Moulin Rouge, which were better in many aspects.

------------------
SlipStream Soul

Originally posted by J-Tree:
LOTR was a good movie, but I don't know how you could expect it to win when it was going up against movies like A Beautiful Mind and Moulin Rouge, which were better in many aspects.

ummm, cuz it was a great movie?
tongue.gif
Do you think it would have been nominated if it didn't have a chance of winning against the aforementioned films?

IMO LOTR didn't (and won't) get any major awards simply because it's a fantasy picture and is therefore less "serious" and "important" than a straightforward drama in the minds of many voters. The trilogy thing also works against it (although it didn't stop Godfather I & II winning Best Picture, but then Godfather films didn't have creatures with latex ears and hairy feet running around,
smile.gif
)

But I'm glad that "Shrek" won!

If we're talking about who was snubbed, what about Russell Crowe? I can't believe he didn't win best actor, nobody deserved it more than he did. A Beautiful Mind was an incredible film, mostly because of his amazing acting, so I can't understand how it could win best picture and yet the best actor award went to someone else
frown.gif

Ah, right on time - Oscar highlights are on my TV now
smile.gif

What did everyone think of Halle Berry's acceptance speech? Personally I loved it, but from what I heard not everyone did.
frown.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Do you think it would have been nominated if it didn't have a chance of winning against the aforementioned films?

To be honest, I'm surprised it got nominated. I mean, don't get me wrong.. I love the movie & the books but A Beautiful Mind and Moulin Rouge are superior films, hands down. although I would have to agree with Saracene that since it is a fantasy film, it gets treated differently.

Halle Berry's acceptance speech was cute. *lol*

------------------
SlipStream Soul

by mad1: its a true, more touching story that produced tears than a fantasy film that produced big ears.........

Try to take take offense from this, but its ignorant statements like that which are the reason LOTR didn't win the big awards.
People assume just because there are fantasy creatures in the movie that it has no moral story. Well, thats bullshit, LOTR has just a good, "touching" message as ABM. It brought tears to my eyes - and thats something.

The themes of friendship and loyalty are SO strong in this book...its very powerful. Like when Sam runs out into the river and almost drowns just because he made a promise never to desert his friend.

And the whole idea that the whole world puts its trust on a little "insignificant" creature when there are huge powerful beings out there who say that they could never do this task - very powerful, if you ask me. A message we could all hear more often in this age.

Anyway, sorry for this rant!

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

[This message has been edited by Basstrap (edited 03-25-2002).]

The Lord of the Rings was a movie I never saw, so I can't comment on the worth of the film. However, based on what I know about the Oscars, I never believed it would win best picture. It may be a terrific film. Forget that it's a fantasy. It got great reviews and made a lot of money. Two things that don't necessary guarantee an award, but certainly help its chances.

The reason the Academy wouldn't award this installment of the triology or any of the other parts yet to come is simple. If "Star Wars" couldn't do it, LOTR won't do it. Star Wars was nominated and lost to Woody Allen's "Annie Hall". "Empire Strikes Back" was never nominated for best picture, and neither was "Return of the Jedi". Anyone who thinks that "The Two Towers", "The Return of the King" will win in their respective years will be greatly disappointed. This was the year they stood the best chance, and they lost.

Both "The Two Towers" and "Return of the King" will be essentially the same quality of film as "Fellowship of the Ring". Oscar voters will probably snub those films and never even nominate them, much like the Star Wars Triology.

And least you can say I've been wrong before.

Originally posted by Basstrap:
Try to take take offense from this, but its ignorant statements like that which are the reason LOTR didn't win the big awards.
People assume just because there are fantasy creatures in the movie that it has no moral story. Well, thats bullshit, LOTR has just a good, "touching" message as ABM. It brought tears to my eyes - and thats something.

The themes of friendship and loyalty are SO strong in this book...its very powerful. Like when Sam runs out into the river and almost drowns just because he made a promise never to desert his friend.

And the whole idea that the whole world puts its trust on a little "insignificant" creature when there are huge powerful beings out there who say that they could never do this task - very powerful, if you ask me. A message we could all hear more often in this age.

Anyway, sorry for this rant!

I agree. From all the talk of the critics I got the impression that LOTR was just kinda dismissed, or not taken as seriously, because of the fantasy genre it belonged to. But, I do think that the fact it was only the first installment had something to do with it as well.

i didnt see the awards, but i am angry that LOTR didnt get the recognition it deserved.

LOTR was not going to win the big awards. I think most academy voters are going to wait and see the whole trilogy before even considering it for the big awards. It would be like giving the Best Pic award for only the first forty minutes of A Beautiful Mind. At least that's what I would do if I could vote. I would judge each separate movie on its own for its tech/music merits...but I would wait until its all over for the Big ones. Peter Jackson is in a unique situation. How many times can directors really say "There's always next year!" for the same story?

And don't anyone dare call them sequels! The Tolkien fans will jump on anyone that does that...they are continuations...not sequels...

And LOTR and ABM both got four awards. No sweeps...no shut outs. I'm ok with it...sorry Sir Ian didn't win...but then again...there's always next year
smile.gif

dream wanderer

I forsee the academy taking note of Peter Jackson..doing what has not been done before (filming three blockbuster epics at the same time)
However..they may or may not reward him for this particular movie...(re Ron Howard getting on the Vomit comet and flying around directing and making a blockbuster...also doing what no director had done before)
He may down the road make another noteworthy movie...an ok movie about someone with a great handicap to overcome...and Hollywood will reward him for that...and will also be making up for snubbing him now (re once again Ron Howard/Beautiful mind)

I am psychic
biggrin.gif

dream wanderer

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
I forsee the academy taking note of Peter Jackson..doing what has not been done before (filming three blockbuster epics at the same time)
However..they may or may not reward him for this particular movie...(re Ron Howard getting on the Vomit comet and flying around directing and making a blockbuster...also doing what no director had done before)
He may down the road make another noteworthy movie...an ok movie about someone with a great handicap to overcome...and Hollywood will reward him for that...and will also be making up for snubbing him now (re once again Ron Howard/Beautiful mind)

I am psychic
biggrin.gif

dream wanderer

I agree. When ROn Howard filmed Apollo 13, everyone looked teh other way. Despite the fact that him and his actors rode that Vomit Comet over 600 times....

And later he wins for a Beautiful Mind. Peter Jackson will get his. Don't ya worry.

Back
Top Bottom