LOTR agains Harry Poter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marko

War Child
Well this weekend Harry Poter made cca. 93 Millions USD. The biggest grossing weekend ever!

Now I'm not so interested in that movie, but I egerly await the firs movie of LORD OF THE RINGS which comes out around christmas.
What are your predictions and expectations about the LOTR? will it make more than harry Poter and do you think that Peter Jackson will do a good job on the movie...

I'm also eager to see Lord of the Rings. It looks like it will actually be pretty good, as opposed to most book to movie adaptations. But I don't think it will make nearly as much as Harry Potter. There just was (and is) *so* much hype surrounding the whole Harry Potter thing, and so I don't think that any movie will make more than it for quite a while.

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"
-Bill Flanagan, at an after-concert soiree with the band and Co.

"If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane."
-Adam, The Simpsons

A REPLY? My god and I thought that this thread is totaly dead.
Yes it seems that it will be hard to beat this, BUT LOTR is still the most anticipated movie of the last 10 yrs. It's even bigger event on the net than Star wars episode one was few yrs ago (crap movie I think)
I allready saw the trailer for LOTR and it seems great.
I'm just happy that they made all 3 movies at the same time, so if the first one flanks ther's no fear that other two parts will be unreleased...

Lord of The Rings is no doubt a heavily anticipated movie. However, it will not have as strong an opening as Harry Potter for the simple reason there is too much product opening before the Christmas break (it can't open on as many screens), as opposed to before Thanksgiving (Out Cold, Spy Game, & Black Knight - give me a break - crap, crap, & crap). My theater has Potter on 6 screens, and I'm anticipating LOTR on possibly 4, but no more. Harry Potter is on over 8,000 screens nationwide, a record. LOTR can not possibly be on that many screens due to the above reason. It will open strong, possibly in the 60's, maybe the 70's, but that is pushing it. Will also depend on it's running time.

It does look damn good, though.

As the raports go - it will last over 2 1/2 hr. And it will be opening worldwide in over 10000-15000 theaters. The first screening will be on New Zeland...
I get your point, and I'm sory to say that you are probably right.
I never care about such things, and maybe I come of as a kind of geek (I think I'm not but I'm biased) - but this is a book that I read when I was 12 for the first time, and now, after 13 yrs I still read it every 2-3 years.
I'm so pumped that i feel embarassed...

IvanC. I realy don't think so - people were too disapointed with episode I (and it was realy crap movie with that awfull JAr Jar...)
So I think that LOTR parts I&II&III will do better than star wars, and even Matrix II&III will do better...

Basicaly, I don't care how much money LOTR will make, I just want to see it and I think that Peter Jackson will do a great job on it - he is a great director with a big imagination...

Running time of the LOTR: fellowship of the ring is 2hr 58min - just how i like it

------------------
Everyone loves me
everyone thinks that I'm georgeours
they wait for their turn to meet me

Look Ivan - I was a big fan of star wars since I was 9 yrs old - I never gone to such leghts to read books, buy toys and figures or stuff like that, but before episode one came out I saw episodes 4,5 and 6 a doesen of times (5 is the best - dark and exiteing, 6 is for kids only), and I saw episode I in London when it opened in odeon theatre - and the movie sucked. Mcgregor is no Han Solo, Every character is totaly flat, theres no spirit pr humor so it camo out totaly uninteresting. It was all about special efects which is nothing special theese days - every movie has them. I hope that Lucas will make episodes 2 and 3 more interesting ang for more mature audience (don't underestimate the kids) with no stupid characters like that of jar jar.
If episode 4 was anything like e1 than it wouldn't make such impression in the late 70's...

LOTR will make a big impression judging by the trailer and first reports by the movie critics

episodes 4,5,6 are all great , episode six , for kids ?? it's as serious as the 5th one ( death of Yoda , Luke ' fight with emperor , Luke-Leia - Han relationships , )
First part ofcource is not SO great , but has its moments ( i suggest , you buy DVD , then we will talk ) Jedi fight is great , i liked Wattto , jar-jar is ok , but if he will deleted , i'll not be dissapointed
Darth Maul as a hero was excellent , it's a pity that he died so soon , final space battle sucked 100% , but field battle was very good , and ofcource not dialogs were great , the greatest scene is the final parade

p.s. chances for LotR to be classic are 50/50 , i'm a big Tolkien fan , at first i read russian books , then english , it's very exciting ( like living in two parallel universes )

To honour the life of JRR and the doors of possibilities that he opened for literature, I hope the movie is extremely successful. I didn't know how they had structured the movies and that all 3 were already made. That is great news marko, thanks.

Not sure how old u are Marko, do you have children? I love Tolkien's Letters To Father Christmas he created for his children over such a long period of time. So much warmth and humour. Almost time to dig it out and read it again, although my boys are getting a bit"grown up" now;(
Lord of the Rings will always stand as the book that made THE difference to my son's joy of reading. Eternal gratitude to JRR for that.
Peace 2U marko, enjoy the movie.

Finaly we are getting somewhere Ivan!
Yes 6 was good, it was great - but the evocs were the start of turning to kids in disney style.
And It was realy much more fun (I even laughed hard) to watch the dialog in 4,5 & 6 - Ford is the actor that lifted the mood of the movie to another level, and darth made it dark.
Now it's all manufactured - no real feeling
And with lotr - peter jackson is a guarantee that it will be good - just look at beautifull creatures (the dream sequence) or Bad Taste...

Cass thanx for replying
I'm 25,no kids, no wife, yes girlfriend (for 4 yrs now).
I never read those letters, but I'll take your suggestion and if I'll ever have kids I'll read it to them.

By the way - If you would like some info on the movie than go to www.tolkienonline.com, or on eonline where they have a special section about the movie...

Id haveta say LOTR, just because im boycotting Harry Potter as I did Titanic, and various other popular culturally obsessive films.

Plus LOTR kicks ass
smile.gif
lol

Back
Top Bottom