Looneyville, Texas, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're in Alice Springs right now, yeah? Hope you've had more luck finding the springs than I have finding the mountain. Or is that a case of false advertising too?

I have first world problems with my goddamn iPod earbuds all the time.

I can never find headphones that sit on my head properly. The top band is never short enough. I had some great behind the head ones, but they broke. I've just been using my earbuds now.

That's why I own headphones. I can't fucking stand earphones.

I use headphones at home and work, but wearing them on public transport or more broadly in public makes you a douchebag. Especially if they're the kind that leak sound like a mofo.

I use headphones at home and work, but wearing them on public transport or more broadly in public makes you a douchebag. Especially if they're the kind that leak sound like a mofo.

lol I wear my Sennheiser HD 280s on public transport. I play air guitar with the cord. I couldn't give a single fuck what people on trams or trains think I look like.

Do they leak sound though? Because that's what I'm basing this on. People who inflict their music choices on the rest of the tram - whether it's through playing music through their phone's speakers, headphones that leak, a boombox (seen it), or the horse racing on a transistor radio (seen it too) - are total douchebags and there's no excuse.

If they don't leak sound, then yeah it's cool. But in general when I'm travelling I like to have earbuds that I can fit into my pockets anyway.

Yeah it amazes me anybody still has any cassettes to do that.

Especially since the only cassettes being produced at the moment are for fucking weirdos (I say both lovingly and condescendingly, but mainly condescendingly), and it's safe to say Public Transport Douchebag isn't cranking the latest limited-edition-of-30 cassette release by a freak folk or harsh noise or powerviolence band. So that cassette of, I don't know, whatever early nineties rap or grunge band - because that's what it always is - is probably from the era and is somehow still going.

Nothing beats Horse Racing Transistor Radio Guy though. He was really into it.

I totally went to buy a cassette of The Rutabega's Brother The Lights Don't Work about a week ago, before realising I was turning into THAT guy.

(It is always a rap or grunge tape, yeah. I've heard a bit too much Soundgarden in Newtown over the past year as a result of these guys.)

I'm pretty sure they don't leak sound. I never really get weird looks. They're pretty well-insulated.

Horse transistor radio dudes are the best. A real societal curiosity.

The stereotypes of people who play music loud enough that they know they are disturbing everybody else would make for an interesting/humorous study. I notice that people who play music through their phones for everybody to hear seem to almost always choose the most aggressive hiphop they can.

Though I did once see a guy singing along to eighties power ballads.

I just looked up your headphones - you're good, they're closed back, circumaural. :)

I guess they pick that music because it's what comes across best in that medium? I know my sister exclusively listens to music via speakers at home, and so it's always really washy, trebly stuff that doesn't require a ton of bass response. (And then I can hear bad MP3 encoding on the cymbals and I've become that prick.)

I usually can't tell MP3s from lossless - enough gigs and ear infections have wrecked my hearing sufficiently - but oh god if anything ever stands out it's bad encoding on the cymbals.

So I'm just sitting here downing a beer and thinking of starting a second history book (third really, because I have co-author credit on one coming out next year, funnily enough before my main book). Which I'll have to work on in my spare time. But whatever. This seems to be the first decent drunk idea I've had for a while.

I suppose in the morning I'll realise the logistics are ridiculous.

If living the dream is working from one shitty casual contract to another, wondering if I will ever get a stable job, and paying to go to conferences out of my own pocket, then sure!

But I had a great time in Mount Gambier and that's what's motivated me to push on with this idea I've had for a while - if history had gone a little differently, I would have been visiting the capital of the state of Princeland. We too easily forget that Australia having six states was not inevitable, and that there were numerous movements to create more.

I listen to my music out loud at work when I'm there early in the morning before the store opens. To be fair, there's only a few of us there that early, and I'm almost always by myself in my department. I just figure that if a coworker does happen to pass by, I will look less crazy singing and dancing along while I work if they can hear the music too.

Speaking of cassette tapes though, I was at a roller derby bout, and a teenage girl in the audience was wearing a cassette tape on a necklace. The announcer called her out on it and asked her if she even knew what was on it, or had a cassette player. She did not.

I listen to my music out loud at work when I'm there early in the morning before the store opens. To be fair, there's only a few of us there that early, and I'm almost always by myself in my department. I just figure that if a coworker does happen to pass by, I will look less crazy singing and dancing along while I work if they can hear the music too.

Well that's a bit different!

That said, I always play my music over headphones at work, even when I'm by myself, but that's because I like headphones. I also suspect that most of my colleagues would hate most of my music.

Speaking of cassette tapes though, I was at a roller derby bout, and a teenage girl in the audience was wearing a cassette tape on a necklace. The announcer called her out on it and asked her if she even knew what was on it, or had a cassette player. She did not.

:lol:

Good job, teenage girl.

I can see a cassette making a halfway decent necklace though. I can't wait for it to become hipster chic in Melbourne's inner north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom