Look who's comming to spring training...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Nine days... early...

pedrocamp.jpg

New York Newsday
For all of his brilliance on the mound, Pedro Martinez often aggravated Red Sox officials with his punctuality issues. And the issue arose early, annually, as Martinez routinely showed up late for spring training.

With his new team, however, Martinez has a new reporting date: nine days early.

After flying into Florida from his native Dominican Republic Monday night, Martinez reported to the Mets' Tradition Field complex yesterday morning and proceeded to work out for about 4 1/2 hours. He threw in the bullpen with the Mets' new bullpen coach, Guy Conti.

"The new Mets are going to [have] a new attitude," Martinez said. "It's going to be a team that went from last place in other years to being a team that's really going to compete and be in the middle of the race."

Mets general manager Omar Minaya was pleased about Martinez's early arrival. "I want a veteran player like Pedro coming to camp early, working out with the minor leaguers," he said. "When they're working together, on the same field, major leaguers and minor leaguers, it sends a great message throughout the whole organization."

Minaya said he didn't speak to Martinez about reporting to camp early, or even on time. Said Minaya: "He did it on his own."

Martinez owns a home in Miami, and in the coming week, he'll shuttle back and forth between Port St. Lucie and Miami. He probably won't come to Mets camp over the weekend. But beginning on Feb. 17, the Mets' reporting day for pitchers and catchers, he will be a steady presence.

It's more symbolic than anything else, yet it's a meaningful symbol for both Martinez and the Mets. The Mets, coming off three dreadful seasons, very much want to build on the positive momentum they developed this offseason with the signings of Martinez and Carlos Beltran. And they have often seen their new arrivals experience turbulence in their first spring trainings.

Last year, for example, shortstop (turned second baseman) Kaz Matsui injured a nail on the middle finger of his right hand during an infield drill. And back in 2002, coming off a promising offseason, Mo Vaughn showed up clearly out of shape, a foreboding sign for his brief, unsuccessful Mets career.

To have their new ace report so early is encouraging, especially given Martinez's history. More often than not, in his seven years with the Red Sox, the righthander arrived after the team's reporting date for pitchers and catchers. He usually attributed it to staying in the Dominican to celebrate his father's birthday.

The team had no power to discipline Martinez, since the collective bargaining agreement states that players aren't required to show up any earlier than March 1. Yet it typified the "me-first" attitude that others perceived Martinez as possessing.

For now, however, there are no such concerns about Martinez, no negatives to wipe away the progress the Mets made in the last few months.

"There's a new feeling in the organization," Minaya said. "A whole new Mets feeling."

It certainly does...

I heard today on the Mike and the Mad Dog, Met's Single Game tickets go on sale February 27th. Listen to who is going to be there....Tim Teufel, HoJo, Straw & Gary "the kid" -------I sure hope the 86 team gives them some karma this year.....

David Wright for MVP

Theedge555 said:
Listen to who is going to be there....Tim Teufel, HoJo, Straw & Gary "the kid" -------I sure hope the 86 team gives them some karma this year.....
Should have the same effect that Bucky Dent throwing out the first pitch in game 7 of the ALCS had for the Yanks.

I start the year off optimistic and hopefully with the help of Anna Benson, it will remain true.

Back
Top Bottom