Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
I don't know a terrible lot, unfortunately. I wish I knew more, and it obviously factors into my plans to go everywhere in New Zealand. I know a little of the history of the Maori on the island, and what sticks out most in my mind is that they're on a really wonky timezone, 45 minutes ahead of the rest of New Zealand.

Your project sounds rather interesting. :up:
Um, yeah... not really :|

I guess molluscs aren't my thing, especially when I was hoping for dinosaurs. Not much choice in projects, sadly. I spent most of my first year trying to ingest three very large textbooks on malacology, and panicking.

I read a little bit about the Islands... apparently the original inhabitants weren't technically Maori, or else they'd been isolated for so long that things had changed... and apparently the Maoris went with the white settlers in ships and invaded the place.
The only other historical thing I can remember is that the first white guy on a ship to spot the islands was called Allison... whether that was his first or last name I don't know.

There are Cretaceous rocks on the island too... there was another student there who was trying to find the exact K-T boundary on the islands (Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary, the line between alive dinosaurs and dead ones), and thought he might have found dino bones in the Tertiary rocks... but they could have been re-worked so it wasn't conclusive.

</:nerd:>

Oh, I wasn't blaming anyone. My day was boring anyway. The whole class had to watch this boringarsed forum take place in UniSA, 'cause it's Artist's Week or some shit. Two hours of wankery, thank God we weren't forced to attend the rest of them.

cinnaminson said:

:giggle:
I get out of bed, feed the kittehs then hop in the shower. That means if we time it right we'll both be naked and soaped up at the same time. . . . . . . . . .

ooh if you scrub my back i will scrub your .....

mysterious_jen said:
fossilised clams.

and rocks.

fuck woman you need to GET OUT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please.
:tongue:

It's been years since I was studying. And a good chunk of that time has been spent here... :reject:

Yeah, point taken.

Alisaura said:

Um, yeah... not really :|

I guess molluscs aren't my thing, especially when I was hoping for dinosaurs. Not much choice in projects, sadly. I spent most of my first year trying to ingest three very large textbooks on malacology, and panicking.

I was more thinking about resulting content, not the actual process of doing it. :wink:

I can imagine it must be tedious. Especially if it's not your thing. I'm really worried I'm going to end up bombing some of my stuff this year, just because I'm not passionate about it. And if I'm not passionate about it, my mind will wander. I wrote pages of preliminary notes for my Honours thesis last year when I was meant to be working on some Argentine political history that I just couldn't give a shit about.

Come on, New Zealand's not that far away, there should be courses on its history! There are two courses on Irish history, for fuck's sake!

I read a little bit about the Islands... apparently the original inhabitants weren't technically Maori, or else they'd been isolated for so long that things had changed... and apparently the Maoris went with the white settlers in ships and invaded the place.
The only other historical thing I can remember is that the first white guy on a ship to spot the islands was called Allison... whether that was his first or last name I don't know.

Yeah, I believe the original inhabitants were originally Maori, but were isolated for centuries. Incidentally, all of this has led to a widely believed but thoroughly untrue myth that New Zealand used to be populated by a race of people called the Moriori who the Maori cannibalised. This myth is generally mobilised by people who want to delegitimise Maori land claims.

And I imagine the guy's first name was Allison, since it used to be a male first name. I know one of the Chief Mechanical Engineers of the New Zealand Railways in the 19th century had the first name of Allison.

Axver said:
I was more thinking about resulting content, not the actual process of doing it. :wink:
Oh yeah, the scope of the project itself was interesting from a theoretical point of view, and it was quite an important project, in that not very much is/was known about southern-hemisphere molluscs from that time period. (Which, incidentally, didn't make me feel any better when I had to tell my supervisors I couldn't do it.)

But it's not dinosaurs. :reject:

And I imagine the guy's first name was Allison, since it used to be a male first name. I know one of the Chief Mechanical Engineers of the New Zealand Railways in the 19th century had the first name of Allison.
Yeah, I read that it used to be a guy's name. I've also seen it as a surname, though... :shrug:

Moriori, that was it....

Seeya Cin!

I might head off for a bit too... time to "simulate love-making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."

:shifty:

Alisaura said:

Oh yeah, the scope of the project itself was interesting from a theoretical point of view, and it was quite an important project, in that not very much is/was known about southern-hemisphere molluscs from that time period. (Which, incidentally, didn't make me feel any better when I had to tell my supervisors I couldn't do it.)

But it's not dinosaurs. :reject:

It seems not a lot is known on anything Southern Hemispherean really. Damn Northern Hemisphereans and their Northern Hemispherecentrism. Especially Anglocentrism and Americentrism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom