Lonely No More by Rob Thomas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
XHendrix24 said:
Rob Thomas, on the other hand, is complete crap. I thought the single must've been a joke or something the first time I heard it. It's like Matchbox 20 mixed with Enrique Eglasius (spelling?) mixed with Justin Timberlake. :huh:

Yep, you made my point better than I did. The contrast between all the Iglesias/Timberlake dance boy feel and the subject matter couldn't be more atrociously done. Even the few Thomas defenders here have to admit the 'I wanna do your girlfriend' moment might be most disgusting pop music moment......well ever.

Layton said:

Yep, you made my point better than I did. The contrast between all the Iglesias/Timberlake dance boy feel and the subject matter couldn't be more atrociously done. Even the few Thomas defenders here have to admit the 'I wanna do your girlfriend' moment might be most disgusting pop music moment......well ever.

I've learned that there are tons of disgusting pop moments such as the Wyclef/ Bono duet that no one is immune to bad choices. Not so much hate for me to hold it against them and their entire career.

Last edited:
Though he sucks, no one is forcing you to listen to that shit song. Is it so hard to extend your arm and push the button for a new channel?

I think the problem here is everyone is just pissed that he is doing well (through shit). So, therefore I believe everyone should stop saying things like "I am happy with what I have", because it is obvious most of us aren't.

Flying FuManchu said:

I've learned that there are tons of disgusting pop moments such as the Wyclef/ Bono duet that no one is immune to bad choices. Not so much hate for me to hold it against them and their entire career.

I'm not holding anything against Rob Thomas regarding his career. I'm just discussing this one song. Sure, Bono and everyone else has made bad choices, but this would be the equivalent of Bono ditching his band and deciding to sort of pretend he was Michael Jackson. New Day sucks, but it's nowhere near as bad of a choice as Lonely No More is.

Lancemc said:
Rob Thomas certainly has talent.

Talent in finding the dumbest fucking lyrics and vocals he can pry out of his empty skull and somehow selling the songs in the millions.

yes...YES.

how can any of you...ANY OF YOU ever complain about how shitty "pop music" is, and how awful the state of mainstream radio currents finds itself in, when you not only fail to unleash verbal attacks on such ridiculous phonies such as the corporate shit that matchbox twenty/rob thomas represents, but go on to - get this - PROMOTE?!!?!?

HOW DO YOU 7USTIFY THAT?!!?!?!

it's absolute madness.

one4u2 said:

Don't you dare call me honey! And what I meant was with your constant, nasty attitude, he'll get further then you will in life :madspit:

how would you know?

i have a great attitude, except when it comes to mindless soul-destroying music that dumbs the masses and appears to endorse the re-election of thieves in the white house.

perhaps i'm getting a little a head of myself here.

but i firmly believe that pop culture (and matchbox twenty very unfortunately manifests itself as such to the "25-40 year old working class") is making the public stupid.

i should be careful not to paint anyone in this thread as such, rather, i'm trying to generalize what i perceive to be a very large problem in today's society.

M20, although they not be my thing can write a good pop tune every once in awhile. He's gotten the attention of Santana and Willie Nelson.

But I saw the video for this solo song and asked myself, why is Rob trying to be Ricky Martin?

I just wanted to point out that I have never heard of this Rob Thomas person, still less listened to any of his music. :happy:

Zoomerang96 said:
i have a great attitude, except when it comes to mindless soul-destroying music that dumbs the masses

Mindless pop music has been around for decades. I think if anything that it was worse in the '80s and parts of the '70s. Or maybe I have just become more adept at avoiding it, I don't know.

Zoomerang96 said:
what do you expect? matchbox twenty were pioneers in bland corporate safe "rock".

Were they though? You trace the genre of bland corporate safe rock back to the '70's or even earlier, arguably. Not that I'm defending Matchbook Twenty, mind.

i understand what you're saying, finance guy.

can you list some examples though?

the reason i called them pioneers is because only the past little while has the industry really put their dirty fingers on who gets big and who doesn't. it's my believe they're only big because someone thinks they should be - not because of any "talent" they allegedly possess.

and i'm sorry, i should have made it clear - i love mindless pop. 7ustin timberlake, kylie, etc., etc. is fun.

i only have trouble with loser artists who actually believe they're contributing something more than throwaway pop.

Zoomerang96 said:
i understand what you're saying, finance guy.

can you list some examples though?

I would be thinking of people like the Bay City Rollers, David Essex and the Osmonds, for example. When 'Top of the Pops' (a live UK based pop music show) show re-runs of performances from their archives, I always think the 1970's ones look the most ridiculous.

Maybe 1 out of 10 of the 1970's performances they show is any way decent, when they run performances from the 1990's for example, the ratio tends to be much higher.

We sometimes think of the 70's as being a great era for music (Zeppelin, etc) but it wasn't really like that.

financeguy said:

We sometimes think of the 70's as being a great era for music (Zeppelin, etc) but it wasn't really like that.

I'm sorry, you are crazy in the head

Harry Nilsson
Randy Newman
Television
Talking Heads
Nick Drake
The Stooges
CSNY

to name a few

Basstrap said:
I'm sorry, you are crazy in the head

Harry Nilsson
Randy Newman
Television
Talking Heads
Nick Drake
The Stooges
CSNY

to name a few

I'm not saying there wasn't great music made in the 70's, I was just commenting on a tendency to sometimes over nostalgize previous decades while glossing over the dross. There was an awful lot of s*** music made in the 70's as well.

My momma is a saint
leave her out of your deliciously decadent dubious dealings

Wait.... are people actually defending Matchbox 20? Did I read that right? In a U2 forum? Did they drop their standard by that much?

VertigoGal said:
Yourself or Someone Like You- :up: :up: :up:
Mad Season: :up:
More Than You Think You Are::shrug:
Lonely No More :barf: :madspit:
my sentiments exactly. they started out good enough, but got suckier with each attempt.

saltwaterkiss26 said:
my only real feelings on Rob Thomas/Matchbox 20 are that hearing Unwell gives me the mild desire to slaughter everyone in sight.
i agree. banjos do not belong in rock songs. this is the same reason i hate the some take it easy. if i wanted a banjo breakdown, i'd listen to devil went down to georgia.

as you can tell, i don't like banjos or country music. :mad:

Matchbox Twenty = Good
Rob Thomas Solo = Not So Good.
His solo album's not been my cuppa tea, I dont mind the band, great live band....but not Rob's Solo effort

Agreed that there first two records were pretty good, third one is not bad....C'mon they cant be THAT bad :)......

I have nothing against Rob Thomas as a person. He comes across like a nice guy in interviews, and I'm a fan of nice guys. The Santana song was huge and was a great pop song - one of the best ones I've heard.

It confused me at first to see Thomas attempting a pop career after fronting a rock band, but if M20 wasn't satisfying all of his moods, and he wants to make a pop record, so be it. "Lonely No More" is silly and so I ignore it. The dancing in the video should have been relegated to the blooper reel though.

I don't want to bag on M20 b/c it's clear that some people are getting defensive and insulting others, which isn't cool. So I will just say that M20 isn't my cup of tea, and "Real World" is just awful.

it's uncanny just how awfully bad they really really are!

I didn't think there was enough to M20 to inspire such passionate hatred... you guys proved ME wrong :wink:

But then, I haven't heard Lonely No More... and I think I'm going to avoid it.

I went to Amoeba Records in San Francisco last week and there I saw (in the sales bin, I might add), a CD with a photo of this really young thug on it. Then I found out it was Rob Thomas.

Seriously? THAT'S what he really looks like? Yowza. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom