Local bands....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
Tell me about them before they are famous :wink:

Minneapolis has a great scene, and I am just discovering a local scene here in Central Illinois.

Absinthe Blind (shoegazers from the US :ohmy:)

more later....

Last edited:
school for the dead (i'm wearing my SFTD shirt at the moment)
infamous jake and the pinstripe mafia
ware river club
drunk stuntmen

the aloha steamtrain, but they broke up :(

i know i'm missing about 20 or so (ok, slight exaggeration)...i woke up at 6:30 am after going to bed at 3...and i'm listening to the new dropkick murphys album, so my mind isn't quite here...more later, perhaps...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Cujo and the Mounties... great new acapella group singning canadian folk music

they're just as good (by good, i mean bad) as mofo and the homies, or so i've been told...

karmac and alius modi, but they both broke up. now we have nothing but "punk" bands.

and then theres me in my basement, trying to create some sort of electronica.

yay.

back for Minneapolis bands....

Manplanet space rock - devo, queen, Ziggy Stardust (fun band)
Askeleton - Think Interpol, but even more New Orderish
Faux Jean - retro sixties/eighties. All dress in suits - very hip sound too
Astronaut Wife - Punk/rockabilly/spacey
Hawaii Show - Pure humor. One guy recorded a whole bunch of songs that a cast of about ten lipsynch to.

from Mexico

Kinky
Cafe Tacvba
Las Ultrasonicas
Jumbo
Zurdok
Zoe
Plastilina Mosh
Hocico
Julieta Venegas
Ely Guerra
etc.

Last edited:
here's some that i don't like:

the skeptics (they're ok, they kind of bug me though)
disaster 116 (maybe they might be good by the time they get to high school)
no intention
justice league (they REALLY suck)
i think quit to win is local...they're ok but they need a new singer
sleeping with your sister
bubba's fat friend

and then there are at least 3 other local bands that suck that i forgot the names of

There nothing better than having a few brews at the bar while watching some sucky local band try to play. That's Entertainment!

the gravel pit (i think they're from connecticut, actually)

collapse into reason (i'm not sure if they broke up or not)

chain fall

the damaged (they're a not so bad punk/hardcore band)

edgar (i HOPE they broke up, they probably didn't though)

adavis

frick (they depress me. they used to be good, they got a new singer and now they sound like blink 182)

big ugly wrench (i'm not sure if they're still around, they were pretty good...and they do a wierd creedence clearwater revival)

there's unconfortable silence and natural descent. i'm not sure if eityher of them are still around, the last i've heard of them was at least a year ago now...and i think unconfortable silence was/is from somewhere in vermont, near brattleboro...

there used to be a good local band called shoot the dancing bear, but they broke up about 5 years ago

and there was the maggies, who were good, but i don't know if they're still around (i don't think they are)

there's the fawns and spanish for hitchhiking, neither of which i've actually heard. they both include people from school for the dead, so i've heard of them that way. and i'm not sure if the pelicans are a local band or not, but they're good same with lofine and the figments (well, those last two are ok, not great....the pelicans have a song that has an intro that reminds me of "angel of harlem" but it took me months to realise what it sounded like)...

DiGi said:
from DC

- The Pietasters
\

i've definetly heard them. because for a while i was getting their name mixed up with piebald...

mission orange? i think that's the name of this one band...they had one song i liked called "up on blocks"

and seventeen, who broke up, they were good...

merkury burn (from toronto) was awesome.. but then their lead singer ditched 'em and they broke up. assholes. the bassist and the guitarist are working on a new project or something, which I guess could be nice. but the lead singer made that band.

awesome while they lasted though

Back
Top Bottom