Live 8 Vote Who was the best on the day? Vote now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A stupid Velvet Revolver fan is flooding the votes, that´s clear :madspit: :mad: :censored: :silent: :down: Yesterday I voted and Pink Floyd had 45% of votes... now they have just 24%... and yesterday Velvet Revolver had 1%.... now they have 30%...

beLIEve :silent:

I just voted for Pink Floyd and was also surprised to see Velvet Revolver leading. They are a good band, but I would put at least half a dozen performances from that day ahead of theirs.

I thought Velvet Revolver were excellent, to be honest, although not a fan.

Pink Floyd probably my favourite performance also I really enjoyed Joss Stone's performance - what a voice.

I think someone made some sort of program that automatically adds votes. They can't go so fast. Since this afternoon about 20.000 votes were added. We should at least spend an hour a day each of us voting and then involve people of other forums. Or let the BBC know that this poll is not reliable because you can cheat.

:censored:

I don't know about anyone else, but I had to vote for Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft. That just surprised the HELL out of me. And it was an awesome performance too.

I know morally, in the eyes of God and all that is holy, I SHOULD vote for Pink Floyd. But I just greatly enjoyed that coldplay/Ashcroft collaboration so much. And i'm not even a big fan of that song either. :huh:

I don't think they will. I'd expect Robbie Williams will storm up the charts once the kids start voting, but otherwise, U2 were solid, but it was Pink Floyds day. Outstanding.

[sarcasm or not (the above post) i still say]...yes, right after I've had tied one end of a rope to my genitals and the other to a wild horse and cracked the whip...! I was SO pissed off at him...not funny in the slightest...

Coldplay/Ashcroft was great! Shame I already knew about it, would have been REALLY exciting!

Well, as I was only just conscious at the time Pink Floyd came on (I think around 6 in the morning in australia, and by this time I'd been up for around 23 hours) so don't remember that much about them, except a killer bass line, I am going to go on what I do clearly remember and vote for U2. (But if I could remember Pink Floyd, I would probably vote for U2 anyway -- the doves and One got me.)

I also saw the Killers live for the first time, and was very impressed. Same for Keane.

I was disappointed by Green Day. "Hey-ho!" (or whatever they kept shouting) was fun the first 60 times, but it got a bit annoying after that.

blahblahblah said:
[sarcasm or not (the above post) i still say]...yes, right after I've had tied one end of a rope to my genitals and the other to a wild horse and cracked the whip...! I was SO pissed off at him...not funny in the slightest...

Coldplay/Ashcroft was great! Shame I already knew about it, would have been REALLY exciting!

i heard , he was really drunk already

doctorwho said:
Everyone here seems to love Pink Floyd, but I missed their set. Reviews of it were NOT kind at all - calling them out of place and behind the times. :shrug:

I saw their set, and I agree with the reviews. This was an accomplished but dull performance.

I have seen Pink Floyd a few times, including during the Dark Side of the Moon tour, from fifth row centre. That was tremendous: otherworldly and intense.

The Live 8 audience was excited about Floyd being together again after such a long time, and that's understandable. But it's not surprising that, so many years after playing together as and actually being a band, the songs were mechanically well-executed yet emotionally and spiritually flat. The spark is gone.

I have to laugh at people complaining about how "predictable" U2's set choices were, while lauding Floyd's choices. Following that logic, Floyd would have been brave and creative (in ways that U2 "weren't") by playing songs like "One of These Days" and "Echoes". Imagine how well that would have gone over?

I voted Robbie Williams.... I mean.. LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU is AMAZING, and 200.000 people singing ANGELS can't be beaten... I really respect the guy for pulling off such things.

Besides... he was kissing girls like crazy... he ain't an idiot :wink:

Pink Floyd's performance was special mostly for non-musical reasons. Imagine if U2 dismantled after Achtung Baby and re-united for Live 8, it would have been special regardless of how scratchy their performance would have been. Same for Pink Floyd, though they got the benefit of night sky, still Comfortably Numb sounded amazing. Perhaps the best performance of the day after Bono's speech.

I'm still standing by my original belief that Dido/Youssou N'Dour was the best performance on the day... :| :ohmy:

Pink Floyd were kind flat (didn't expect any more though), U2 were ok but nothing special, same with Coldplay... Richard Ashcroft was another highlight for me.

I don't think Floyd was flat at all...they flubbed the intro to Money (Waters came in early on bass and Mason didn't know whether to follow the sound effects or Waters!), but elsewhere it was surprisingly tight given that they haven't played at all since 1994 and not with Waters since 1981. Comf. Numb was just brilliant.

And for a British band like PF, who are generally completely faceless in concert (music and lights/effects do the talking), this was as much emotion as they've ever shown. Waters, a known sourpuss, was really enjoying being up there again and smiling/hamming it up (and made a nice gesture at the intro to Wish in reconciling with the other guys and dedicating the song to Syd). Gilmour was more reserved and had to be focused on his guitar playing and singing, but even he slipped a smile to Nick Mason and got in on the "wave" during Comf. Numb.

Given all the cr*p this band has had gone down the past 25 years, seeing all 4 of them (don't forget Rick Wright!) on the same stage was highly charged, highly emotional for all their fans and I think them as well (though they try to hide it).

That having been said, it was a one-off and that was likely the final performance by Pink Floyd in any incarnation.

My top 5

1. Pink Floyd (I feel blessed to of seen them live before)

2. U2 (If it wasn't for the Floyd reunion, U2 would of been #1)

3. Robbie Williams (Too bad that he can't make a dent in Canada)

4. The Who (Pete went nuts!)

5. The Killers/ Keane ("I've got soul but I'm not a soldier!" - still stuck in my head. Keane are great live.

I like Coldplay, but they seemed rather boring. The duet with Ashcroft was the best moment showcasing a better song/performance than what Coldplay could offer on their own.
Dido is hot! Very sexy! ...shhhh, don't tell my wife! :wink:

Pink Floyd sucks ass. They're the most over-rated band of all time. But as far as the Live 8 thing goes I have to say that I enjoyed Chris Cornell doing Black Hole Sun (just his voice and his acoustic guitar) :drool:

Back
Top Bottom