Linkin Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read an LA times review of the new album, and they mentioned it's likeness to U2 three times!!! they just coudln't emphasize it enough. once was for trying to reinvent themselves, a second time was because the writer felt that some of the songs had very Mullenesque drumming styles, and a final time saying that some songs were heavily influenced by U2 "as is evident by note-by-note likeness"

what do you guys think?
a little too far?

This new album is awesomeness and I agree with that articles statement with the whole U2 influence.

I noticed the Mullenesque drumming :wink: It's that early-U2 military drumming. And as for Shadow of the Day, I played a clip of it for someone, and they go "That sounds like U2" even the guitar solo toward the end sounds very Edgey.

But yes, I've already heard reports of Linkin Park fans bitching because the album doesn't sound like the "old" Linkin Park. I believe one response was "It's good, but it's not Linkin Park" And it really amuses me. I mean, how dare they grow as musicians and change their style in any way! :wink: Most bands change their sound at some point, as well they should.

As for my personal opinion of the album, I'm kind of amused with myself, because before hearing it, I kept going on about how they'd matured and yet now that I have listened to it, my favourite songs are the ones with the most angst, like Given Up and Bleed it Out, although that may just be because I really, really love with way Chester screams :combust:

Ahem, so far my least favourite song is Leave Out All The Rest... it sounds like The Backstreet Boys, seriously. The most disturbing part is that I thought that, but didn't say anything. And then later I heard someone else say the exact same thing.

I'm glad the rap is not entirely gone from the songs, it works perfectly in Bleed it Out, and of course Hands Held High is perfect. I'm glad Linkin Park have gone political, and in a tasteful way. You can tell it's from the heart, and they're not just doing it for the sake of selling albums.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Ahem, so far my least favourite song is Leave Out All The Rest... it sounds like The Backstreet Boys, seriously. The most disturbing part is that I thought that, but didn't say anything. And then later I heard someone else say the exact same thing.

yeah and I have a serious problem with its placement on the album. It might have been okay in the later half, but so soon into the album it's just :huh: totally kills the momentum, which sucks because LP albums usually flow perfectly...but they've also never had such a diverse album

now that you mention it, it does kinda sound like Backstreet Boys :giggle: it's a decent song, pretty and catchy enough, but far too poppy and cliche. It's fluff, especially compared to songs like Hands Held High and The Little Things Give You Away.

I love In Pieces :heart: the guitar solo is really unexpected and nice.

and tuwie, I don't think the article went too far. there is definitely a U2 influence on this album. The lead off single What I've Done has some Edgey guitar. Let It Bleed actually has a kind of early U2 feel with the guitar part and simple but energetic drumming. As I mentioned before, Shadow of the Day is a lot like With or Without You, though not enough to be a blatant ripoff.

Anyone get the iTunes preorder with No Roads Left? not a bad song. could have replaced Leave Out All the Rest on the album, or Awake which is a nice intro but pretty much filler

AtomicBono said:

As I mentioned before, Shadow of the Day is a lot like With or Without You, though not enough to be a blatant ripoff.

my thoughts EXACTLY. hahah. i was going to come here and post that, now that I've just listened to the album through it's entirety for the first time, so I'm happy that other people see it too =) it's got some VERY Edgey parts<3
I think it's a great album

http://music.ign.com/articles/788/788496p1.html
Linkin Park - Minutes To Midnight

Band takes a step toward defining a new, more mature sound.

by Spence D.

May 15, 2007 - My problem with Linkin Park has always been their sound. It leans toward being dry and unemotional; delivering stoically detached resonance that leaves me feeling empty and unsatisfied. I've always wished they'd flesh out their sound a bit more, delve just a little deeper into the low-end and groove to give some added sonic depth to their proceedings. They may very well have been reading my thought transmissions this time around, which would be cool and a wee bit scary at the same time.

The first thing you notice from the opening instrumental "Wake" is that not only does it seem fitting in relation to the album's title—yes, it's atmospherically indicative of the minutes leading up to the proverbial Witching Hour—is that it's richly nuanced and not at all like the flat sounding excursions of their past. Ditto for the blitzkrieg that is "Given Up," the first bona fide song featuring a resurrected Chester B. on vocal chord wrenching utterances. Okay, so this track kind of falls victim to the post-Nu Metal fall-out combined with screamo backlash and aggressive emo tendencies, but still despite the routine nature of much of the song it still packs a wallop and offers up some intriguing shifts in musicality, specifically the wonderfully turgid bass blast.

The LP boys continue to wrestle with their past sound while making a few inroads towards a new entity on "Leave Out All The Rest," a veritable ballad, at least in LP molting out of their old Nu Metal skin formulaicy. Bennington reveals that he has a lovely voice when he's not busy concealing the fact underneath feedback and acid drenched intensity. The cool harmonic introduction to the track again hints at a sonic makeover, as do the side shifting elements of ambiance. The click track rhythms and bubbly bass also echo with minimalistic electronic bliss, which is a nice, warm shift in tone for the band. Yet underneath the rippling elements of a new sound it is revealed that the band is still very much tethered to their past, the song conforming to a number of LP blueprints. But hey, you can't expect a band to change that drastically overnight. That would be unrealistic.

With "Bleed It Out" the band kicks out an almost U2 sounding guitar skirmish while Mike Shinoda kicks the verbal ballistics. The addition of handclaps helps propel the track into one of the better raps that MH has lit to tape. Even when Chester drops in with his scratchy voice of pain and anguish chorus it still sounds fresh and mile ahead of their past rap-meet-aggro rock machinations. Yeah, it still follows the LP style book in that it flips from rap to screaming mimi theatrics in measured aplomb, but it sounds better than any of their previously like-minded efforts of this nature. A lot of this has to do with the overall sound, which feels richer and warmer, albeit in LP terms (meaning it's still not all that rich and warm, but its head and tails more fleshed out than they have every sounded before).

"Shadow Of The Day" starts out not quite unlike a vintage Nine Inch Nails number as a shuffling syncopation drift echoes with ebb and flow in-between minimalist electro washes. Then Chester enters the mix and the track takes a decidedly U2 turn, both vocally and spiritually as he croons (yes, croons) in lilting harmony "and the sun will set for you/the sun will set for you/and the shadow of the day/will embrace the world in grey/and the sun will set for you…" It's an unusually uplifting moment for the band even though it showcases them still searching for a new voice that transcends their obvious influences (think Bono).

Piano, clanking ambiance, and reverb rhythms set the tone for "What I've Done," which quickly dives into guitar driven crunch that parts its skirling waters enough to let Bennington's clean vocals sift through the mix that is given added scratchmatic enhancement. This track essentially takes all the elements of past LP tunes and turns them into a gentler, more mature endeavor that comes off like aggressive balladeering aimed at the older set (i.e. your mom might find this an appealing number).

Church like organ fills waft over the opening of "Hands Held High" which then introduces militaristic march inclined snares over which Mike Shinoda pumps his fists in a strangely aggressive quietude, showing that his rhyme scheme has risen several levels since their last effort. Chester's ecclesiastical "amen" chorus only adds to the strange, ethereal vibe. "No More Sorrow" begins with searing crystalline guitar, then the shattergun bass and drums burst in with riot squad intensity turning the number into a shifting Metallicaesque rampage that burns with liquid metal. Yeah you've heard it before, but you'll still snap your neck to the churning cadence.

"Valentine's Day" returns to the harmonic styled guitar filters over which Bennington delivers a raspy whisper. The melancholy is deep, even despite the treacley nature of the subject matter (being alone on Valentine's Day). The somber tone is carried over into "In Between," in which Mike Shinoda sings with a crisply soft baritone over a simple clacking rhythm and stripped down electronic burble and ripple. The wurble and glide continues into "In Pieces," which goes for stripped down electronic repose which compliments Bennington's quietly aggressive whisper delivery. It has tinges of some of their contemporary pop/punk/emo brethren, at least in terms of melodic interface and harmonious delivery, which makes it strange and enticing and confusing all at once. Of course that is all thrown violently out the window with the very '80s guitar solo tacked on at the 2:35 mark.

The album's last official track is "The Little Things Give You Away," which returns to the minimalistic clanking and stutter electronics that point to Mr. Reznor as an obvious influence. The gently strummed acoustic guitar that filters underneath is a nice touch and helps augment Bennington's casually emotional whisper. It's a nice stripped down combination that makes one yearn to hear LP go fully acoustic. They might just surprise the skeptics lurking out there if they did. This track definitely hints at future greatness to come in terms of an even more mature sound. Bennington's lyrics are equally impressive as he comments on the band's visit to New Orleans in the wake of Katrina's destruction. It's hauntingly poetic and easily the strongest number on the entire album.

The album concludes with a live version of "What I've Done," which really doesn't sound all that much different than the studio version. Sure there's a little more noticeable chop and grind in the guitars, but otherwise it sounds slick, clean, and fully furnished.

Minutes To Midnight showcases a band in transition, a group of musicians caught in a molting holding pattern as they valiantly claw at their previous musical skin, shedding little chunks here and there and making way for a new glisten to grow in. I'm still not 100% sold on Linkin Park but of their three official studio albums this one is the one that really shows off the band and their willingness to stretch their musical boundaries and a growing desire to shift with the times. Granted they still rely a little too heavily on obvious influences (Metallica, U2, Nine Inch Nails), but they have improved in many respects, capturing a much richer and fuller sound overall. Mike Shinoda displays much improved verbal chops on the microphone, Bennington further reveals that he's in possession of a voice capable of delivering heart-wrenching melancholy and introspective desire. And the rest of the band—Phoenix, Joe Hahn, Rob Bourdon, and Brad Delson—are equally up to the task at hand. Oh yeah, having Rick Rubin behind the boards certainly didn't hinder any forward movement, either. This is definitely a step in the right direction and a stepping stone for things to come. I hope.

Definitely Download:
1. "Wake"
2. "Leave Out All The Rest"
3. "Bleed It Out"
4. "In Between"
5. "Hands Held High"
6. "In Pieces"
7. "The Little Things Give You Away"

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/14435695/review/14459315/minutes_to_midnight
Rap metal is dead. Linkin Park are not, because they were always more than the meager sum of that combination -- more pop and classic rock in their riffs, hooks and drive, even on Collision Course, their 2004 mash-up with Jay-Z. On Minutes to Midnight, co-produced by Rick Rubin, Linkin Park are more of something else -- topical -- and furiously good at it. In the last song, "The Little Things Give You Away," the band coolly torpedoes George W. Bush's petty, disastrous arrogance on Iraq and New Orleans (for starters), building from acoustic strum and soft-shoe electronics to magisterial Seventies-arena guitar and lacerating disgust. "All you've ever wanted was someone to truly look up to you," Chester Bennington sings. "And six feet underwater/I do."

That's not all. Bennington is not going over old-girlfriend ground when he promises, "Your time is borrowed," in the hammering thrash of "No More Sorrow." And Mike Shinoda's state-of-disbelief rap "Hands Held High" comes with military-funeral drums and an "amen" chorus. This would be as much fun as a filibuster if Linkin Park did not pay equal attention to the punch and detail in the gritty stomp "Bleed It Out" and the balled-fist guilt of "What I've Done." "Shadow of the Day" is a too-literal echo of Joshua Tree-era U2, but most of Minutes is honed, metallic pop with a hip-hop stride and a wake-up kick. "What the fuck is wrong with me?" Bennington barks over the jingle bells and distortion in "Given Up." The answer all over this record: nothing that getting off your ass can't fix.

DAVID FRICKE

(Posted: May 14, 2007)

All the reviews comparing Linkin Park to U2 should excite me, but it's a little disturbing. Dear worlds: Stop colliding, plz :eyebrow:

That said... I couldn't resist putting With or Without You and Shadow of the Day together, just to see what would happen. I'm not an expert at music mixing, and in fact I'd never done this before, but here you go, With or Without Your Shadow:

http://download.you send it.com/C04A449F54821507

I was not a Linkin Park fan but I am one now lol. Shadow of the day... well, everyone that I've shown the song thay all say the same thing: This is U2.

For those who are not fans please try this album, I'm shure you'll be surprised.

I wrote a review of the album in my LiveJournal, and thought it would be a good idea to crosspost it here:

Song by song review:

The first track "Wake" is instrumental, and the liner notes say they chose the title based on its double meaning. It starts out all scratchy and staticky, like you've just put on a vinyl record. Clever :wink: And then it's all ambient and cold little piano notes. It sounds like winter, and it's a little dark. It begins to build and build, with some rolling drums, and then the kickdrum begins beating in, and it explodes as the guitar slams in, that goes on for a bit before petering out at the end of the track.

Track two is one of my favourite tracks (if not my favourite, fullstop) on the album. "Given Up" starts out with a beat comprised of keys jingling and handclaps, before this repetitive punkrock guitar joins in, and then the rest of the music comes in. Chester comes in with these great angsty lyrics, and he sounds so pissed off :love: As much as I kept talking about the band finally growing up, my favourite tracks seem to be the angstiest ones. Maybe I just like hearing Chester scream, mmm.
Now, I was actually surprised when I found out that the album has a parental advisory sticker on it. Linkin Park have actually commented before on how it takes more talent to convey anger and other emotions in lyrics without swearing, but I guess they changed their mind, what with "Tell me what the fuck is wrong with me!" at the end of the chorus in this song, as well as "Put me out of my fucking misery!" in the bridge. Oh the angst <3
I should also mention the little musical break just before the bridge where all you hear are the keys jingling and the fantastic bass (even if Linkin Park's bassplayer scares me because he looks like he'd be a serial killer). Anyhow, the song continues on and then ends slightly abruptly with the end of the last repetition of the chorus, the actual last thing you hear on the track is Chester, as the music breaks off a second or so before he finishes his last "meeee!"

Okay, "Leave Out All the Rest" is my least favourite album. After all the rocking and screaming of "Given Up", this song is just a big letdown. It starts with a sort of chimey beat, some synth strings, and a subdued drum beat. The lyrics are a little cheesy, and you know what it sounds like? The Backstreet Boys. Ugh. I'm trying to like it, I swear. I'm trying to ignore the lyrics and write about the music, but all I can think about is that it sounds like it should be played at a junior prom. It's actually better during the chorus, as it picks up with some guitar, but I still don't like the song on the whole. The end is alright. I like the simple strings, and Chester's "I can't be who you are"

Now technically the real beginning of "Bleed it Out" is on the end of the previous track. "Bleed it Out" is described in the liner notes as being the most fun song they recorded, and the track sounds like someone just snuck into the studio and recorded them jamming. The first thing you hear (at the end of the previous track) is footsteps and the muffled sounds of conversation, and then you 'enter' the room they're in and the converation gets clear enough to understand, with Chester saying "all driving with their hands out the window", and then theres a tambourine jingling, some papers shuffling and then the guitar comes in on top of the talking.
And the guitar sounds U2-ey. Early U2-ey. Okay, it sounds just like the beginning of I Will Follow. And underneath it, the background noise continues, with added cheers and shouts of "whoohooo!" as Mike slips into his rap. One of only two songs on the album that he gets to rap on :wink: And there's more of the F word here, "going out of my fucking mind" which is amusingly followed by filthy mouth, no excuse" As the song builds up, handclaps and a tambourine are added, followed by the bass. The lyrics themselves are really repetitive, but it doesn't really matter here. It's a fun song, a jam, and it's one of my favourites on the album.
The chorus is catchy though, and the drums don't join the song until after the first chorus. But I must say that "doesn't matter how hard I try" in the second verse gave me "In The End" flashbacks :lol: Also, I can't be sure, but I think the other voices in the background (presumably the rest of the band, as they're all credited with backing vocals) are singing along to the chorus.
The lyrics in the bridge reminds me of Faint, "I've opened up these scars! I'll make you face this! I pulled myself so far! I'll make you face this now!" And toward the end of the song, the catchy repetitive guitar is replaced by a short solo, before the it all ends in laughter and applause. A very fun song, U2 need to do songs like that :D

"Shadow of the Day" sounds just like With or Without You! (Although the first time I heard it, the very beginning reminded me of the very beginning of A Sort of Homecoming) Everything is so similar, the beat, the bass, the lyric structure (particularly the chorus: "And the shadow of the day, will embrace the world in grey, and the sun will set for you") and the way the music picks up and the (real) drums enter after the first chorus. But Shadow of the Day has one thing With or Without You doesn't have, a beautiful string section. It does, however, have an extremely Edgey guitar solo in the bridge. The last 40 seconds of the track are a quiet synthy breakdown, which segues into the next track.

First single! What am I supposed to say about "What I've Done"? It's already been all over the radio for over a month :tongue: But yeah, it starts out with this Exorcist-style piano intro, before the music crashes in with a bang. The song was the last one written for the album, and they chose it as the first single, because they felt it was a good representation of their reinvention, what with the lyrics seeming to basically say "look, I know I screwed up and I did some bad stuff, but that's the past and I'm moving forward to a better future". I like that sentiment. Particularly the bridge: "For what I've done, I start again, and whatever pain may come, today this ends, I'm forgiving what I've done"

Now "Hands Held High" here Linkin Park shows their political side for the first time, and they did it in a rather nice way. This song is completely Mike's, it's almost all rap, and the lyrics are really, really good. The song starts out with a slow organ, before some early-Larry Mullen-style military drumming kicks in, and then Mike's passionate delivery of his feelings regarding the war in Iraq, with lines like: "Like this war's really just a different brand of war, like it doesn't cater to rich and abandon poor" and "for a leader so nervous in an obvious way, stuttering and mumbling for nightly news to replay, and the rest of the world watching at the end of the day, in the living room laughing like 'what did he say?'"
And I haven't mentioned the music, but it's actually really pretty, piano, organ, and guitar, with that military drumming. After the first verse (which is really long) ends, the drums drop out long enough for a simple chorus of "amen" repeated several times. Amen in a Linkin Park song, who'd have thought. The second verse has just as excellent lyrics: "it's ironic, at times like this you pray, but a bomb blew the mosque up yesterday" and "when the rich wage war, it's the poor the poor who die" Afterward, there's another "amen" chorus, which is repeated underneath a sung verse of "With hands held high into a sky so blue, as the ocean opens up to swallow you"

"No More Sorrow" continues the Bush bashing, although in a less obvious way. It starts out with this weird melodic noise. I don't think it's a guitar, some synth thing that Joe did, I guess, and then this heavy shredding guitar kicks in with the drums beating in sync and it's amazing. The intro is actually really long (over a minute) before Chester comes in, and he's angry again, with lyrics like these: "Your crusade's a disguise, replace freedom for fear, you trade money for lies" and "I see pain, I see need, I see liars and theives abuse power with greed" and a chorus of: "No, no more sorrow, I've paid for your mistakes, your time is borrowed, your time has come to be replaced". And this great chorus of "Theives and hypocrites!" screamed a few times.

"Valentines Day" is another one of the songs on the album that hasn't really clicked with me yet. It has a nice guitar melody, a nice drumbeat, and a particularly nice bassline. The lyrics are a little bit emoey, and I've only just now realized it must about having your significant other die, what with the line "and the ground below grew colder, as they put you down inside". The song finally picks up a bit toward the end with the build up and then "So now you're gone, and I was wrong, I never knew what it was like... ON A VALENTINE'S DAY! ON A VALENTINE'S DAY!"

With track ten, Mike gets a chance to sing. "In Between". The music in the song is really simple, a sort of clicking rhythm track instead of drums, some somber synth, and a little bit of guitar. It's interesting to hear Mike sing, but honestly, I prefer him rapping. The lyrics are nice enough, but nothing really stands out for me.

"In Pieces" is probably one of those songs I'm gonna start liking more, the more I listen to it. I like the noise in the background, I dunno what it is... it almost sounds like a steel drum. I really like the chorus: "There's truth in your lies, doubt in your faith, what you build you lay to waste, there's truth in your lies, doubt in your faith, all I've got's what you didn't take" although the melody reminds me of some previous Linkin Park song, I'm just not sure what.
The song begins to pick up a bit after that, but I don't really like the guitar after it does. It sounds really 80ish, and not in a good way. It has a touch of a reggae touch to it too. There's a really 80ish shredding guitar solo toward the end of the song too, which is nice in a strange way too.

"The Little Things Give You Away" is the Hurricane Katrina song on the album. The band wrote it after visiting New Orleans sometime in the aftermath. The music is really subdued through the first part of the song, just an acoustic guitar over a strange little rhythm track. The lyrics are clearly disapproving of the government's handling of the situation: "Don't wanna reach for me, do you? I mean nothing to you. The little things give you away. And there will be no mistaking, the levees are breaking. All you've ever wanted, was someone to truly look up to you, and six feet under water, I do."
By the second chorus, the song picks up, with the electric guitar falling in, and then the rest of the band joins in. Afterward, the song goes into a little bit of a jam, with a long, guitar-driven musical break, before Chester comes back in with some Bono-style "Ooooooh!"s and Mike singing the song's title, over and over again, as another chorus comes in on top of it. The song continues into the outro, until the music drops out entirely, and the three vocal tracks (two Chester, one Mike) layer beautifully until the song ends, at a whopping 6:23, which makes it about twice as long as the typical Linkin Park song.

Review of the album as a whole:

Overall, I like it. I had mixed feelings about buying the album. Because I had basically gotten over Linkin Park. I grew out of them. "What I've Done" and their apparent newfound maturity excited me though, and I hoped I would be pleasantly surprised when I got the album.
And I was. But at the same time, some of the tracks gave me a big WTF. "Leave Out All The Rest" for example, it just seemed SO un-Linkin Park! It was so soft and so strange! And it sounded like The Backstreet Boys, wtf. "Shadow of the Day" was also surprising. Because it sounded like U2 :ohmy: Whoa, worlds colliding!
My main annoyance with the album is its inconsistancies. Some of the songs are hard and fast and angry and screamy and hardrocking, and others are incredibly soft, and way too pop. It disturbed me a little. I prefer the harder ones, honestly. I'm not a fan of softer music in general (I don't know how the fuck I became a U2 fan... oh yeah wait, they USED to know how to rock :wink: )
One other surprise with the album is that they'd gotten political, and not just political for the sake of selling records *coughGreenDaycough*, but were actually writing with genuine passion about what's going on in the world (the war in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina), and it works perfectly (especially in "Hands Held High")
Overall, I'm pleased with the album, and I've pleased with the way they've changed their sound. I think it can only get better for them from here :)

......I am more longwinded than Bono :reject:

Back
Top Bottom