Life On Mars anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayernfc

Refugee
From the commercials it looked like another stupid idea for a show...but I got hooked after a while watching it on BBC.

So yeah...any other fans out there? Also there should be a petition not to make a U.S. version of it. :wink:

I watched one episode of this

I thought it was really good

I actually remember the 70s

I read of heard somewhere that there is an American version being planned

My advice, stay with the BBC

they did a crap job trying to do Cracker

Yeah, watched it from the start, really like it, apparently there's to be a follow up in the future, this time set in the '80's, titled, Ashes To Ashes, someone must be a big Bowie fan.

See, it's a good concept for 16 episodes over 2 series, but a follow up in the 80's? That'll be dragging it out a bit. But then again, I dunno, could work. I love all the soundtrack of this show though, some one must be a huge music fan.

And I completely agree, an American version is a terrible idea.

“Life On Mars” — American Style

Written by: Samuel K. Sloan (SoSF Producer/Managing News Director)

Looks like the U.S. is going to try out another popular U.K. product on for size and try to make it uniquely its own. In a long line of British programming that gets copied by U.S. networks, this latest foray will be an American remake of the British SF hit show “Life On Mars” which runs on the BBC America cable network. For you trivia buffs, the show got its name from the old David Bowie song of the same title.

Writer/producer David E. Kelley, the creator of such mega hits like “The Practice,” “Ally McBeal,” “Boston Public” and the multi-Emmy winning “Boston Legal” has decided to take on a product not originally his own and put his unique taste and style to it.

This has been tried many times with the most successful U.K.-to-U.S. transplant being “All In the Family” which made ultra stars out of the likes of Caroll O’Connor, Jean Stapleton, Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers, who, until that time, were either total unknowns or lesser known character actors from the stage and screen. Kelley is hoping to do for ‘Mars’ what producer Norman Lear did with ‘Family,’ make it another gigantic U.K. adaptation hit for U.S. network television.

There are two things that might hinder him from making that happen. First, “All In the Family” was groundbreaking, touching on subjects which, until that time, had been totally taboo on American television, and secondly, the U.K. version was really, really good and gave Lear a great jumping off point to tantalize American viewers.

The U.K.’s “Life On Mars,” while being pretty decent television is neither groundbreaking or that tantalizing and, unlike the 1970’s, American audiences can already get all the original “Life On Mars” they want from the cable network BBC America, plus Netflix, Blockbuster and DVD sales. So, Kelley has his work cut out for him if he is wanting his “Life On Mars” to be a record-setting new series.

The story of “Life On Mars,” for those who don’t listen to our Slice of Scifi show, (where we have talked about the British show on several occasions) or who have not had the opportunity to see it on cable, is about a detective who finds himself transported back to 1972 after his girlfriend has been kidnapped.

Kelley has signed on Rachelle Lefevre (”What About Brian,” “Veronica Mars”) to play the only main female character in the 1972 police department, who forges a bond with the mysterious detective and teams with him to track down the same serial killer that plagued one of his 21st Century investigations. It looks like young newbieTrevor MacFarlane (who was born in England) may star as detective John Holden, the 21st Century officer who, after a motor vehicle accident, awakens to find himself in an America 30-years in his past. The same character is older and named Sam Tyler on the British series. Actor William Atkinson has also joined the cast. As more valid casting news is made available stay tuned to Slice of SciFi for updates.

This Americanized “Life On Mars” is currently in pre-production and is slated for the upcoming ABC Fall lineup.

bayernfc said:
And I completely agree, an American version is a terrible idea.

I agree too. I mean, what's the point ?!!

I've not seen as many episodes of Life On Mars as I'd like to have but from what I've seen it is a really good show (I'd certainly rank it as far better than "pretty decent", which is how the article deep posted describes it!).

I really cannot imagine an American Gene Hunt.

And please say they would not sanitise it. in the US. The beauty of this programme is that they can subtely challenge old-fashioned viewpoints on things like race, sexism etc, without having to dance around it. Some of the things the characters come out with are so shocking (but also very funny) in a "I can't believe people used to think it was okay to talk like that" kind of way. Take away that element and it wouldn't work anywhere near as well.

we get away with a lot more risque stuff on TV in the UK, so I would be worried that they would try to clean up some of the language and so on

I love that show "Life on Mars" and I agree with you guys that an American version just wouldn't work.

But I'm afraid those Americans won't listen to us....

I believe Gene Hunt will get his own spin off...that's what i've heard not sure about the 80's version:shrug:

Yes, Ashes to Ashes is the Gene Hunt spin off. Sam Tyler won't feature, apparently.

It's the final episode next week. Tonight's episode apparently gets the story going and ups the tempo ready for the finale

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

(I'm desperatly trying not to give away any plot, cos I don't know where the US viewers have got up to)

I love this show! :love: I've missed a couple of episodes weeks ago, but tonight's episode sounds good. The first series was fantastic, and the second series (what I've seen of it) is just as good. It's a bit of a shame that it's going to end after this series, but so did Fawlty Towers, and it was brilliant! Plus, the Gene Hunt spinoff sounds good, even if I really don't like David Bowie...

Well BBC Canada is a week behind, so thanks to torrents I'll catch tonight's episodes about a day or so later! :wink:

A Gene Hunt series eh? That could actually work!

Your (spoiler-free) thoughts on the series finale? Mine:

:shocked:

Should have known, really, but still. Wow!

Twas an excellent finale....didn't expect it at all to finish up the way it did.

Nelson is one cool bartender though, referencing Bowie lyrics:up:

Btw evillaurd didn't know you were from Belfast...finally more people are turning up other than my siblings:wink:

I've loved this show, one of the few I've made a real point of watching and the last episode with all the twists was brilliant down to the closing scene with the test card girl.

I grew up not far from Manchester in the 70s so it's been a real nostalgia trip and I know I shouldn't but I think Gene Hunt is :drool: some of his lines have just cracked me up.

The last episode almost made me feel that Sam was a complete bastard....

.....How the hell are they going to pull off an American version of this?...I really can't see it working that well, it would be like making an American version of Dr Who:huh:

The US version of The Office worked well, because offices are a universal way of life really.....the likes of Dr Who and Life On Mars have a very specific English eccentric setting as such. Ah who knows maybe they will pull it off, but at the very least it will need to be set in 70s New York or something for it to work.

LJT I didn't even know you watched it :scratch:
I don't think the American version will work.. they're putting known actors and actresses into it. None of the actors in Life On Mars were really that well known before hand and I think that works better. We will see anyways :shrug:

I actually think an American version could work, if it wasn't a remake. Having a sister show that takes the premise but tweaks it for the US could be cool, like Serpico instead of The Sweeney - of course they don't do that and they take the same characters and recast them, you fools!

Yeah I bumped it, but it's because it's such a good show, and I only just got my hands on the DVD.

Life on mars has to be one of the best shows today, sadly tho on thursday its the end of the series over here.

I think i will cry, i have become so attached to it.

Back
Top Bottom