Libertines/Pete Doherty/Babyshambles etc. Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Alright I looked at the band index and there are actually two threads on this subject but

i) the first is more or less about Pete's shambles (see I can pun too) of a performance at Live 8
ii) the second is about one song.

So I felt justified in making a new thread dedicated to the exclusive appreciation of all things Peter and Carl and stuff.

Note this is an appreciation thread and I know loads of you hate the Libs etc. so this may actually turn to the shortest appreciation thread ever or something, but nevermind but if you don't have anything good to say keep out. Please.

To start:

'Music When The Lights Go Out' is a lovely song. Discuss.

Edit: I also must, must mention the rather fun little acoustic version of 'What Katie Did' I managed to acquire yesterday. That's probably my favourite Libertines song, it's such a simple little number but utterly charming. Ahhh...

I absolutely adore "Music When The Lights Go Out". One of my favorite songs.

I also greatly enjoy "What Katie Did". It's appeared on many mix CDs I've made for friends and family members. Where did you find that acoustic version?

Yertle, I love you for starting this thread. :up:

Music when the lights go out is indeed a wonderful song. Have you guys ever heard the version from the Legs II sessions? I can email it to anyone who'd like to hear it cause it's a lovely early version of the song.

I'm going to see Babyshambles later this month -- I must be mad cause the chances of them turning up on time and sober-ish are fairly remote, but it's a testament to how much I admire Pete's music that I'm willing to take a chance on them.

Actually, I have tonnes of live and session mp3s of Libertines/Babyshambles/Pete solo so if anyone wants me to upload anything just ask. There's some really lovely unreleased stuff, like Breck Road Lover, You're My Waterloo, The Bucket Shop and loads more.

I could talk about the Libertines and Babyshambles all day y'know.

:heart:

I'm an idiot, I know. In the meantime do you have any information on what the famed 'Books of Albion' are at the official babyshambles website because it seems to be down at the moment?

I really liked both of the Libertine's albums, especially Up the Bracket. Vertigo, Death on the Stairs, Up the bracket and Good ol' days...etc. Actually, I don't think there is a song on there I didn't like. They weren't that out of order last year when I saw them live(without Pete ofcourse), but this whole love affair NME has with the "Pete Doherty Soap Opera" is getting pretty old.

Haven't heard any of the Baby Shambles yet, any recommendations?

You should have mail now, I hope. :up:

And the Books of Albion are essentially Pete's diaries which he's put online. They often have song lyrics in them and poetry or stories he's written, plus quite a lot of press clippings and photos. I really enjoyed looking at them.

Until they're back up at babyshambles.com you can find some of them at http://www.babyshambles.net/books.asp and http://www.albionarks.com/ although the second site is a bit unreliable and you'll probably have to register and post on their forum before you can look at them so the .net site is the best place to start. AlbionArks has a lot of MP3s and videos too if you're interested in those.

ETA: I just checked the AlbionArks site and it looks like they've changed something so you won't have to register to look at the Books of Albion. :up:

bayernfc said:
Haven't heard any of the Baby Shambles yet, any recommendations?

So far they've only released three singles (and one of those was really a Pete solo project rather than with the full band).

The best of the singles they've released IMHO is Killamanjiro (and the B-side The Man Who Came TO Stay) though Babyshambles (confusingly there's a song with the same name as the band) is a great song too and it's B-Side At the Flophouse is a beautiful little acoustic song.

Their latest single Fuck Forever is a bit disappointing IMHO. I've got several live and session versions of it all of which are superior to the finished single. It's not bad per se, it's just disappointing because it's obviously a fantastic song but the single version just isn't anything special.

I can email some of their stuff to you if you like?

Ah, cheers, Fizz, for that info, and thanks for the mp3s. Am listening to the early 'Music When The Lights Go Out' and it is indeed lovely.

bayern: I've stopped reading the music press so I was really quite unaware of the whole Peter/Carlos thing but I had a friend who was really into the Libs (and kinda passed on that liking to me, really) and she was often regaling me with stories about them. I agree it may be overkill but I think the music's really good so there's nothing to complain about there.

Edit: Ahh, that's what I get for replying slowly. :)

You're welcome. :)

bayernfc, you should have email now.

And the NME soap opera thing I agree is getting old. It's just typical NME I guess -- latch on to a band and print a story about them every week no matter how irrelevant. I dunno, I'd be a hypocrite to moan about the NME too much though since I still buy it every week and check nme.com everyday. :shrug: There are certainly plenty of things to complain about with NME but at the same time they're really the only weekly music magazine covering indie-type music so people are going to buy it no matter what. We need Melody Maker back is what. :wink:

I loved the Libertines...but really all my sympathy for Pete went long ago...and the whole drama that is Babyshambles really is just shameful..

I find it sad that Carl Barat seems all but forgotten in all this.....why is Pete acclaimed a genius, yet Carl is not? They both wrote The Libertines songs.

It would be better if Pete just went away to sort himself out rather than continue being an idiot.

To add to the love:

My band played Death Disco London last month, and we were lucky enough to have Gary Powell (drummer for the Libertines) show up. Awesome! He was such a nice guy. Really friendly, and we spent a lot of time drinking with him and his lovely lady (who talked with us about how crushed the rest of the Libs were to have Pete Doherty single-handedly destroy their band). At one point, Gary Libertine actually wanted us to set back up and jam with him! Sweet! But we were all just too wasted. I could barely walk at that point; forget playing a bass.

It was one of the coolest nights I've ever had. I wish I had downed less whiskey and remembered more.

And if you're curious, DJ Joly (of DD NYC) has some video of the Libertines playing CBGB a couple years back (in addition to quite a lot of other excellent stuff):

http://punkcast.com/267/

DN

Last edited:
I appreciate, well, just The Libertines, I haven't heard any Babyshambles song :ohmy:

I really enjoy The Libertines though

i hate the libertines but i don't mind babyshambles that much. saw most of their set at the Reading festival and was quite impressed. Fuck Forever is a great song.

You hate the libs, yet like the pale pale excuse of a band Babyshambles?:huh:

I guess this really time for the phrase 'different strokes....'

The Libertines were the best.. I was really looking forward to seeing Babyshambles opening for Oasis this summer but Pete got them kicked off the support slot :mad: I have a lot of respect for the guy and I partly blame the British press for his downfall.. It's almost like the ridiculousness of all the media attention kinda encourages him to do even more, to show he doesn't give a damn or just for the irony.

I saw the bass player of the Libertines, John Hassall, play with his new band Yeti which was actually really good, I think the Libertines were a lot more than just Pete and Carl. :up:

Definitely were..just annoys me the way some people tend to treat Pete as the genius behind The Libs...Pete is only to blame for the way he is...the media definitely played a part...but honestly there would not be the attention if he wan't already messed up:shrug:

The Libertines were an amazing band, had it all going for them...Pete put an end to that, Carl, Gary and John are now all just cult figures..their talents should be recognised and not someone like Pete who continues to waste his talents.

LJT said:
You hate the libs, yet like the pale pale excuse of a band Babyshambles?:huh:

I guess this really time for the phrase 'different strokes....'

yep i can't stand the libs. i really don't see the fuss about them. 'what a waster' and 'time for heroes' always come on at the indie club i go to and when they do it's my cue to go to the bar. their worst song is probably 'what became of the likely lads', awful song.

babyshambles have done some alright songs though from what i've heard - 'fuck forever', 'killamangiro', really like 'the man who came to stay', thats a great song too. 'gang of gin' is pretty good too.

and they were good at Reading too so i've got more of an affinity with them.

saw a bit of Babyshambles at Glastonbury...and have to say I thought they were bloody awful...from where I was you could see, in the distance,a mass of idiotic teenagers who obviously idolised Doherty as some tortured messiah jumping around like this was the best band since Radiohead, and Doherty jumping around with that straw hat of his...

More than deserving of the 'worst band of the summer' award...

gareth brown said:
saw a bit of Babyshambles at Glastonbury...and have to say I thought they were bloody awful...More than deserving of the 'worst band of the summer' award...

i never understand why people post negative remarks in appreciation threads.

call me old fashioned, but it just seems rude.

I quite clearly stated in the first post I knew people didn't like the Libertines and all the other assorted bands, so if you had nothing good to say keep out. Please respect that. I think most of us have heard your opinions several times already, there's no need to hear it again.

Back
Top Bottom