Libertines/Pete Doherty/Babyshambles etc. Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok; to add to the hate:

Know where Pete was on August 1st while I was in London with tix for his show in Norwich? Playing a frikkin' secret show in Stoke! Wtf? I'll give you a secret: play shows that people have tickets for!

That being said, I still love Babyshambles. And they've rescheduled that show I missed, so all I have to do is get back to England and really really hope that Pete doesn't fuck this one up, to...

:|

DN

LJT said:
The Libertines were an amazing band, had it all going for them...Pete put an end to that, Carl, Gary and John are now all just cult figures..their talents should be recognised and not someone like Pete who continues to waste his talents.

See, I can understand why people feel this way but let's not forget it wasn't Pete's decision to leave the Libertines -- he was thrown out of the band and then Carl decided to put the band "on hold." To be honest, I think the way the rest of the band handled their decision to kick Pete out of the band was shameful -- they didn't even have the guts to tell him face-to-face which I think is the least they owed to him. In any case, how was it their decision to throw Pete out of the band -- not only was he a founding member of the band but he also wrote half (possibly more, possibly less, but let's say half for the sake of argument) their songs. How was it anyone else's decision to kick him out? If the rest of the band felt so strongly that Pete wasn't in a fit state to be in a band they could have decided there and then to put the band on hold, not throw him out and carry on without him.

I'm not trying to justify all of Pete's actions (cancelling gigs left right and centre, turning up demonstrably too out of his head to play, etc) but equally I don't think people should treat the rest of the Libertines as absolutely blameless. Yes, Pete might well have been fucked up on drugs but if you ask me you stand by your friends when they're fucked up, you don't tell them to fuck off and take away something which means the world to them (because, let's face it, if you're talented enough and love music enough to form a band as good as the Libertines, then your band does mean the world to you).

(Sorry if this post sounds really argumentative, I don't intend it to come across that way, I'm just expressing an opinion.)

Palace_Hero said:

dude, he LOVES libertines, he LOVES babyshambles.

i should know. he's my brother, and he sends me everything that comes his way.

did you even read his other post? or were you too busy looking for threads to be annoyingly obnoxious in, hence the junkie remark?

do YOU even like these bands? why are you here? you've posted in this thread THREE times and said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

:down:

p.s. sorry, yertle

FizzingWhizzbees said:

See, I can understand why people feel this way but let's not forget it wasn't Pete's decision to leave the Libertines -- he was thrown out of the band and then Carl decided to put the band "on hold." To be honest, I think the way the rest of the band handled their decision to kick Pete out of the band was shameful -- they didn't even have the guts to tell him face-to-face which I think is the least they owed to him. In any case, how was it their decision to throw Pete out of the band -- not only was he a founding member of the band but he also wrote half (possibly more, possibly less, but let's say half for the sake of argument) their songs. How was it anyone else's decision to kick him out? If the rest of the band felt so strongly that Pete wasn't in a fit state to be in a band they could have decided there and then to put the band on hold, not throw him out and carry on without him.

I'm not trying to justify all of Pete's actions (cancelling gigs left right and centre, turning up demonstrably too out of his head to play, etc) but equally I don't think people should treat the rest of the Libertines as absolutely blameless. Yes, Pete might well have been fucked up on drugs but if you ask me you stand by your friends when they're fucked up, you don't tell them to fuck off and take away something which means the world to them (because, let's face it, if you're talented enough and love music enough to form a band as good as the Libertines, then your band does mean the world to you).

(Sorry if this post sounds really argumentative, I don't intend it to come across that way, I'm just expressing an opinion.)

Its ok:)

My understanding was that Carl did try to help Pete...Pete didn't heed him much...it was apparently Carl that taught Pete how to play guitar..Carl also had his own problems, namely his own drug problems at the time, but he dealt with them and is continuing to fix his health...Pete to my knowledge was given many chances by the band before they chucked him out....breaking into Carl's house really was not something a friend would do:|

The band's problem was not just with Pete...it was with his hanger-ons which he refused to let go...the band couldn't get through to him because he had all these people around him basically worshipping him and still has them....

dead nancy said:
That being said, I still love Babyshambles. And they've rescheduled that show I missed, so all I have to do is get back to England and really really hope that Pete doesn't fuck this one up, to...

The rescheduling thing worked out great for me 'cause it means I'll be back at uni in one of the cities they're playing. (Sorry, not to gloat, lol) I still feel a bit daft paying £15 for a ticket though, especially considering that one of the last times I saw them (Blackpool, December 2004) Pete was absolutely trashed and could barely remember the lyrics to his own songs. :sad:

I hope you manage to go to one of their gigs and that Pete puts in a decent-ish performance. :)

Palace_Hero said:
That hardly makes up for taking this topic off track so much.
so all your smart-ass comments were on-topic?

seriously, keep it up. i can't wait to see what forum you get banned from next. :up:

bonosgirl84 said:

i never understand why people post negative remarks in appreciation threads.

call me old fashioned, but it just seems rude.

I usually thank the poster for bringing my thread back to the top of the page. :wink: I figure the people who do want to post in it will be more able to find it then. :)

My AMG newsletter arrived today and apparently Carlos (who has, I notice, a pronunciation symbol over the second 'a' in his surname) has a covers album out. It's pretty eclectic stuff, and incidentally he's done one of my favourite Jam songs, despite mispelling the title. I'll definitely keep a watch for this.

yertle-the-turtle said:
My AMG newsletter arrived today and apparently Carlos (who has, I notice, a pronunciation symbol over the second 'a' in his surname) has a covers album out. It's pretty eclectic stuff, and incidentally he's done one of my favourite Jam songs, despite mispelling the title. I'll definitely keep a watch for this.

If we're talking about the same cd, it's, um, actually not a covers album, despite having a title which would imply so. It's just a compilation CD made up of songs Carl chose as being particular influences on him. It's unfortunately a completely unimaginative compilation too -- the sort of thing any self-respecting indie kid could put together in an evening or two. Although he did choose my favourite La's song so perhaps I shouldn't be too harsh on him.

this thread is rather awesome for the following reasons:

- We all get to see what a dumbass 'Palace_Hero' is...

i don't rate yeti - all i hear in their music is some half-hearted and failed attempt to emulate bands like the la's. but admittedly i've only heard three or four tracks so i might be persuaded to change my opinion after i've heard some more or perhaps seen them play live.

i have some yeti mp3s i can send you if you haven't heard them yet, yertle?

(edited to add: for anyone not quite so libertines-obsessed as yours truly, yeti are a band formed by john hassall formerly the bassist of the libertines.)

actually on the subject of libertines side-projects, has anyone heard any reports from the dirty pretty things gig last night?

dirty pretty things being the band recently formed by carl (former singer/guitarist of the libertines), anthony rossomondo (former temporary guitarist on some libertines tour dates), gary powell (former libertines drummer) and didz hammond (former bassist of cooper temple clause).

apparently they played their first gig at a venue in italy last night. so far i've heard some good reports back from it, but those are generally from the OMG!!!CARL!1!11!!! types so i'm treating them with the scepticism they deserve.

personally i preferred them when they were known as the carlband, or for that matter the baratband.

and just so we don't leave out the most awesome of all libertines related bands: babyshambles uk tour has been utterly fabulous. i saw them when they played in my hometown and compared to the gigs i saw on their last tour they were phenomenal. some of the new songs for the debut album sound beautiful, loyalty song is a lovely song and pipe down, despite the obvious icky reference, is a catchy little track that gets itself stuck in your head and stays there.

2005....up the shambles.

Just on the off-chance that I'm not the only one who cares...I just got the new 'Shambles album so if anyone would like a preview mp3 or two before it's released next month just post your email address or send me an email and I'll send them over. Tis better than you'd expect from the Fuck Forever single, too. :hyper:

My Libs-loving friend who moved to England (and more or less introduced me to the group in the first place) said that every time the 'shambles album is played God kills a kitten or something. I like 'Kilamanjiro' and am fairly indifferent to 'Fuck Forever' so I'm curious to hear how the rest of the album sounds like; I downloaded two songs from Stereogum but haven't heard them yet.

Back
Top Bottom