Let's Talk About "Warped(RHCP)"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Let's talk about "Warped", the opening track of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' 1995 record, "One Hot Minute". Sandwitched between the two mega-pillars of RHCP's career - 1991's "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and 1999's "Californication" - OHM has always been overlooked. It features Dave Navarro on guitar instead of former and current guitarist John Frusciante, who was deep in the abyss of drug addiction following his 1992 departure from and preceeding his 1999 re-joining of the band.

But I just re-listened to this record today and I forgot how good it is. It is by far the heaviest record of their career. It is the only time they ever get close to sounding like Metal, and that is clearly thanks in no small part to Navarro's influence. "Aeroplane", "My Friends", "Tearjerker", "Falling Into Grace", "Shallow Be Thy Game", and "Transcending", are all great, great tracks, varying from ballad to funk-pop to heavy guitar-laden rock, but always delivering a heavy punch.

But none are greater than the opener, "Warped". "Warped" is just an incredible rock song. It's Revolver-era Beatles meets Achtung-era U2. It's "The Fly" meets "Tomorrow Never Knows". Sounds too fucking mind-blowing to be true, right? This is the first song I've ever known where I could use that description with a straight face.

All Hail "Warped", and all of "One Hot Minute". I forgot how much I love this record :rockon: :drool: :rockon: :drool:

Other than My Friends and Warped, OHM does absolutely nothing for me.

But I will agree, Warped is a cool song. That outro. :drool: I remember the video being a bit psychotic as well.

Warped is fucking insane!!! :rockon:

This thread has made me want to go dig it out and listen to it. :drool:

My Friends is just beautiful, kinda like the Under The Bridge of this album I guess. :love:

I remember vividly hearing that for the first time.
Just before headed out for a night on the town, we are waiting on a friend and watching MTV and we saw the premiere of that video.

I still think that album is severly underrated.
Flea on Shallow Be Thy Name :drool:
Coffee Shop, there is one guitar bit of Transcending that almost brings tears to my eyes. Navarro was such a bad ass before he went all 'rock star', literally.

I thought the album just blew, with the exception of a few moments.

Warped, I think is pretty forgettable...in fact the only thing I remember is that the video had some man on man kissing, and the fact that that was pretty controversial at the time.:shrug:

Zootlesque said:

I have no idea what that is. :wink:

btw, who is that in your avatar? :yikes: :lmao:

You don't? I must send it to you, then. It's a pretty crazy b-side.

Richard Simmons. :drool:

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I thought the album just blew, with the exception of a few moments.

That's how I feel. I never listen to it. I have to be rather desperate to even consider listening to it. John Frusciante could have probably saved a lot of those songs.

OHM is a very good album but pales in comparison to BSSM, Californication, Mother's Milk......

"Warp" is a blistering track that makes me go:rockon:

Some real dark/sad lyrics on this album and I could relate to especially "My Friends".

I think the "Pea" song sung by Flea is crap though.

Overall, I don't think Navarro worked w/ their overall sound. I listen to the album every so often because of about 7 stand out tracks.

Back
Top Bottom