Let's Start a New Olympic Thread.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jezebel

War Child
......three cheers for Bode Miller!!!!

Holy shit, that guy can ski!

Or not!
cool.gif
you all will see when you see his downhill/slalom skiing
biggrin.gif

That was cool that Miller came back to win the silver.

But I tell you who has totally been a highlight of these games for me...Simon Ammann from Switzerland. The kid came out of nowhere to win the K90 ski jumping gold and then just kicked butt yesterday and won the K120 hill as well!!! Simply amazing.
biggrin.gif

Mens' figure skating finals tonite...I'm thinking Yagudin will take it away, Plushenko will move into the top three and either Goebel or Honda will make some mistakes and move down. Anyways, should be a great night.
smile.gif

capt.1013718151.olympics_womens_combined_snb152.jpg

Janica Kostelic won the gold medal in the combined. This is the first winter Olympic medal for Croatia. My parents and her parents have been friends for about 25 years, and I hope to see her this summer.
smile.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
anitram, are you Croatian?

Yes, I am.

My father "inherited" the position of the coach of Croatian handball (rukomet) from Ante Kostelic, who is Janica's father. This is how they know each other. When she was born, my mom knitted her a baby hat.
smile.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
TSimon Ammann from Switzerland. The kid came out of nowhere to win the K90 ski jumping gold and then just kicked butt yesterday and won the K120 hill as well!!! Simply amazing.
biggrin.gif

Did you hear Bob Costas's line about him?

"So, Switzerland, if you're wondering where the nice kid that bags your groceries is, he just won double gold..."

Originally posted by jezebel:
......three cheers for Bode Miller!!!!

Holy shit, that guy can ski!

biggrin.gif

He can ski, but he would have won the Gold if he'd have used his head a little and played it more conservatively on the DH and first slalom run. When you are capable of blowing everyone's doors off like he did at the end, the idea is just to stay within striking distance. But, that's Bode!

yep, apparently that's just Bode's style. Really looking forward to the men's slalom
biggrin.gif

The men's figure skating was lots of fun to watch last night.....the judges were on their best behavior
biggrin.gif

Kudos to Todd Eldredge...good for him!

And Timothy Goebel....he's so cute...hail to the quad king!

Only time will tell, t.d. and welcome back!!! How did you get so many posts, being gone and all????

YAY One thousand for me FINALLY!!!!!

Hey, aren't I supposed to be a refugee now??

You---don't---have to live like a refugee
sorry, I'm rambling
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 02-15-2002).]

Last night's men's figure skating finals were wonderful! The judging was pretty much on cue with how it should be done (although, I still think that they have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to Elvis Stojko...the man landed 2 quads and a nice amount of triples and his technical marks did not reflect that
frown.gif
). Just as I thought, one of the top 3 did buckle under the pressure and one did not. Honda was tentative and shaky, but Goebel went out there and not only nailed his jumps, but showed that the work he's put in on improving his artistic style is starting to pay off. Definitely a solid bronze-worthy showing by him. Plushenko is always electric and it was great to see him put in a good performance, even if a bit marred by doubling some triples. And Yagudin...what can I say? He turned in a spectacular performance...landed all his jumps, did a quad-triple-double combo, and had the fire and passionate delivery that really separates the champions from the rest. The 6.0's he received for presentation were definitely deserved.

So all in all, a great way to spend my Valentines evening. I'm glad I taped it, cuz I plan to go back and rewatch it soon.
biggrin.gif

-sula

p.s. Did anyone else get a bit nostalgic about the old days of skating when Scott Hamilton mentioned off-hand that the triple axel-triple toe loop combination just landed by one of the competitors was the big key for Victor Petrenko winning his gold back in Albertville...and now it's just a standard move? What a difference 10 years makes.
smile.gif

Let's hear it for the womens' bobsled team!
smile.gif

*first US bobsled medal in 50 years
*first African-American to win winter gold
*first year of womens' competition and they win!
*they were not the US sled favored to win, but that 'other' team.

It was such a nice story.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 02-20-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom