Let's go Red Wings! *clap clap clap clap clap*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally!

Nick Lidstrom scores on the power play. 2-1 Wings.

Oh wait, make that 3-1, Kris Draper scores off the ensuing faceoff.

speedracer said:
Finally!

Nick Lidstrom scores on the power play. 2-1 Wings.

Oh wait, make that 3-1, Kris Draper scores off the ensuing faceoff.

"Finally" is exactly what I was thinking too! I have to give myself credit though. ;) I turned to my husband on that power play and said, "They're gonna score right here." Sure 'nuff! And then the icing on the cup, I mean, cake...excellent game. I think that will give the Red Wings some momentum going into Games 3 and 4 in Carolina. The Canes looked a little bit frustrated there at the end.

god, I love my hockey team! and look at all you Red Wings fans!

my sister got excited because two days ago Stevie came through the teller drive through at the bank she works at-- too bad she was manning the counter.

and Shanny fans! woohoo! so next year we'll all converge on Detroit and go trick or treating at Shanny's house for Halloween. there was a line of kids there last year and we're still not sure if it was because it was Shanahan or the fact that he was giving out full-size candy bars. we'll just stay at my parents' house then.

but the team is doing well, will win the Cup at home, all will be good!

Last edited:
there's no chance they will win the next 3 games, maybe when at home in 7, I will give you that, if not for the officiating going nuts with the whistles suddenly (not hesitating to call penalties late in close games), that game would have been going to OT, and the Canes probably would have won yet another OT thriller (7-1 in OT), either way, Detroit has not dominated at all through two games at home, now Carolina gets the next two and will win at least 1, the Series is going at least 6 if not 7

and of course everyone's a Detroit fan, it's like with the Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, LA Lakers, Duke, Notre Dame -- these teams will always attract fans from other areas outside of their geographic domain

sharky said:
and Shanny fans! woohoo! so next year we'll all converge on Detroit and go trick or treating at Shanny's house for Halloween. there was a line of kids there last year and we're still not sure if it was because it was Shanahan or the fact that he was giving out full-size candy bars. we'll just stay at my parents' house then.

Hahaha! I am so there. Shanny doesn't mind 22-year-old female trick-or-treaters, does he? ;)

Call me optimistic, but I say Detroit wins both in Carolina. If I'm wrong, eh, I'm wrong. If you don't care if you're correct all the time, you can make all sorts of wacky predictions! Go Wings! Wings in 5! :p

The Wanderer said:
either way, Detroit has not dominated at all through two games at home, now Carolina gets the next two and will win at least 1, the Series is going at least 6 if not 7

What???

Detroit sure looked dominant to me during the last two periods of game 2---did you notice that they outshot the Canes 30-17 and absolutely owned the faceoffs?

Canes lead game 3 1-0 after 1 period.

Did anybody else notice that the refs blew the call on a blatant penalty with about 4:00 left? Pavel Datsyuk beat his defender, broke in on Arturs Irbe and made a perfect pass across the crease to Boyd Deveraux. Deveraux would have had an easy 2-foot tap-in for the score, except he got dragged down by a defender's stick. No call.

BabyGrace said:
that goal was totally unfair, the ref tied up that defenseman

c'mon Canes

The only reason the ref was in Sean Hill's way was because Hill overskated the puck so badly. Brett Hull would have stolen it in either circumstance.

Last edited:
shhh let me believe what I want to believe :D

this game is too much of a nail-biter I cant take it anymore. canes better hurry up and score or i will have a heart attack

Ooh. Exciting.

For all the soccer fans out there, Jeff O'Neill made a nice diagonal cut between two defensemen, Ron Francis hit O'Neill before he went offside, and O'Neill scored on a semi-breakaway.

Then with 90 seconds left, Brett Hull scored on a chest-high tip-in.

And by my count, Detroit has hit *four* posts in this game--including two on one shot, when Steve Duchesne launched a slap shot that bounced off the right post, then flew laterally and hit the left post before flying into the corner

Dear, sweet Jesus. If there are going to be any other games like that in the Finals, kill me now. Just kill me now.

Seriously? YEAH RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!

And my prediction is still intact. :D

Alright, boys and girls. I missed game 3 because of my sister's wedding. All my relatives from Detroit were there, so at least we complained about missing the game together. (Yeah, I know people are bitter that Detroit attracts fans from all over, but for the record, my family is from Detroit.) It was cool to be around lots of other Red Wings fans for the weekend.

I'm all ready for tonight. I wore my Shanahan t-shirt to work today. One of my co-workers commented that he was quite handsome. :yes: LOL at trick-or-treating at Shanny's house. Sounds like a plan to me!

Whoop-whoop! Go Wings!!!!!

Well, Detroit wins 3-0.

The cross-check by Jiri Fischer in the mouth of the Hurricanes guy (don't know who he was, but I'm pretty sure he was a 4th-line scrub) was pretty horrible. Fischer definitely deserved a 5-minute penalty and a game misconduct. I wouldn't be surprised if he were suspended for Game 5.

It wasn't as bad as what Claude Lemieux did to Kris Draper (pushed his face into the boards from behind; Draper literally had to have his face rearranged after the playoffs). The Hurricanes guy was in Fischer's face when Fischer shoved his stick in the guy's mouth. Still, it's pretty embarrassing to the team.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

The cross-check by Jiri Fischer in the mouth of the Hurricanes guy (don't know who he was, but I'm pretty sure he was a 4th-line scrub) was pretty horrible. Fischer definitely deserved a 5-minute penalty and a game misconduct. I wouldn't be surprised if he were suspended for Game 5.

I completely agree with you. I don't know what the hell was up with Jiri. I can't believe nobody saw that, either. Although I'd hate to see him miss what might be the last game of the Finals, I have to say he deserves it. I'd like to hear his explanation for that.

Besides that, this was the first game that I really felt the Wings shine in. I also find it pretty funny that the guys who have been responsible for 100% of the Detroit offense in the last 2 games have been players that somebody on this board once singled out as "everything that's wrong with hockey." :sexywink: Larionov and Hull have been pretty incredible. As Fedorov has been, as well, even if he's not scoring many goals. As for Shanny? It's about time! I'll have to congratulate him in person when we go trick-or-treating at his house this Halloween. :)

Also? My prediction still stands, baby! Red Wings in 5!

Well, it's a tad early to start talking about a Conn Smythe winner (playoffs MVP), but I'm going to start anyway.

I'm going to go with Sergei Fedorov. He's not leading the team in points, and he might possibly have the lowest shooting percentage in NHL history, but he's been all over the ice on offense and defense. He's been winning the faceoffs. He's controlled the puck masterfully. Notice that against the Hurricanes' trap, he's almost never made the difficult pass or the weak dump-in. If the play hasn't been there, he's just circled back and waited for it to develop again. He's never tried to force a play that might result in turnover and an odd-man rush the other way.

Conn Smythe Award (assuming Detroit wins...well...yeah.)

1.) Dominik Hasek. While Dom has had his ups and downs, they haven't been huge ups-and-downs. He's been one of Detroit's most consistent players throughout the post-season. Particularly in light of the trend toward naming goalies MVPs, and (if I'm not mistaken) since Dom has never won the Conn Smythe, I'd say he's a pretty good bet.

2.) Sergei Fedorov. Speedracer makes some good points. He's the fastest guy on the team, and he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's probably the logical choice after Hasek, though I wouldn't be totally shocked if he won it. Still, I think Hasek's chances are better.

3.) Igor Larionov. Oh, wait, I don't get to vote for the Conn Smythe winner. Never mind. :madspit:

4.) Pavel Datsyuk. A longer shot than Larionov, but as consolation I think he was nominated for the Calder Trophy (correct me if I'm wrong) for rookie of the year. I think he has a good chance for that one, so let's give the Conn Smythe to one of the old guys...you know, like Larionov.

::slaps self in face::

Whoops, sorry for the gratuitious Larionov plug. Won't happen again.

paxetaurora said:
Conn Smythe Award (assuming Detroit wins...well...yeah.)

1.) Dominik Hasek. While Dom has had his ups and downs, they haven't been huge ups-and-downs. He's been one of Detroit's most consistent players throughout the post-season. Particularly in light of the trend toward naming goalies MVPs, and (if I'm not mistaken) since Dom has never won the Conn Smythe, I'd say he's a pretty good bet.

Don't forget that Dom has now added another shutout to a record number of shutouts in this playoffs. Also, to the list of possible Conn Smythe winners, I wouldn't leave out Yzerman yet ... or, of course, Nick Lidstrom.

It really is interesting that there is still no clear favorite for the Conn Smythe, but I'd give my vote to Sergei Fedorov. Like others have said, he's everywhere, playing smart, being aggressive, and showing leadership whether he's scoring or not. You had to love that pass he made to Shanny last night.

I can't wait for game 5. I won't be surprised if the NHL suspends Fischer for the cross-check to the face. Just because the refs didn't see it doesn't mean it's okay. I think even Red Wings fans can agree on that. It was great to see Hull and Larionov get it going though, and if the Red Wings win game 5, it will be worth watching to see who steps it up and makes that last run for MVP.

I'm going with Hasek for the Conn Smyth. No doubt.

didn't see the Jiri hit so I don't know the deal on that one. does he at least get to skate around with the Cup if they win.

sharky said:
I'm going with Hasek for the Conn Smyth. No doubt.

didn't see the Jiri hit so I don't know the deal on that one. does he at least get to skate around with the Cup if they win.

He doesn't get to dress for the game. But if the Wings win, the series is over, so I don't see why he couldn't go back and get his skates and skate around with it.

Back
Top Bottom