Let's Go Red Sox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Boston is always a thorn in the Yankees' side and vice versa, but last season, Boston finished in THIRD place, so the Yanks weren't as concerned with them, obviously.

Varitek said:

Thanks mate! :happy: I love my city though I probably wouldn't call it perfect...but for sports it just about is, that is if you don't give a rat's ass about hockey and are OK with living in the 80s for basketball. Fortunately I'm a baseball, football, and european football girl.

Though I'm speaking purely from the perspective of an Australian tourist who spent just a week there...

Tell ya what, Boston Common has to be one of the most serene and vibrant places around....and everyone's so friendly....

So i'm a Red Sox fan just for that reason, though I've been a very half-arsed Celtics fan for years now, not that I like basketball all that much...

MrPryck2U said:
Well, Boston is always a thorn in the Yankees' side and vice versa, but last season, Boston finished in THIRD place, so the Yanks weren't as concerned with them, obviously.

Once we were out of it we were out of it, and yes, embarassingly so. That Friday double header against the Yankees in August: longest day of my life. I'll take the slightly better draft pick over pride.

Oh wait that's another thing we gave up to get Drew isn't it. (or maybe not :crossefingers: ) Who kidnapped Theo and replaced him with Dan Duquette?

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Theo was on tour with Pearl Jam in South America when Hanley Ramirez was dealt.
And who pray tell is Aramis?
Did Theo steal a bottle of your cologne?

Oops :reject: meant Anibal. Theo was on his little holiday, yes, but apparently had a hand in that trade before he left and as an advisor.

I'm female, and no he didn't steal my cologne, though he did once turn down a marraige proposal from me. (it was a joke, I swear.) However he seems to have stolen his own original plan for the organization and flushed it down the toilet. That's why I'm getting sick of him.

MrPryck2U said:
One thing about Boston that I don't like is that everywhere you go, you see a lot of anti Yankee apparel. Yankees this or Yankees that. Why not focus on the positives of your team instead of the negatives of another? In Yankeeland, we couldn't give a rat's ass about Boston. We have a World Series to win.

Have you ever BEEN to Yankee stadium when they're playing the Sox? Didn't think so, or you wouldn't have said this. It goes both ways, though our t-shirts are much funnier/more clever.

i beg to differ... as someone who was once completely on the sidelines on this red sox/yankees rivalry until the time when i went to college in new hampshire... red sox fans tend to show a lot more venom towards the yankees and their fans than the other way around.

ya don't hear red sox suck chants at New York Super Bowl parades... (yes yes, i'm setting myself up for the "that's cause there are no new york super bowl parades" joke :madspit: )

so to say that yankee fans don't care about beating the red sox is quite silly... they do. but they don't obsess about it the way many red sox fans do.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i beg to differ... as someone who was once completely on the sidelines on this red sox/yankees rivalry until the time when i went to college in new hampshire... red sox fans tend to show a lot more venom towards the yankees and their fans than the other way around.

ya don't hear red sox suck chants at New York Super Bowl parades.

I have to say that as a Red Sox fan, the whole Yankees suck chant really annoys the piss out of me. If the two teams are playing, then fine, but at a random game against Texas, the chant will break out. I've even heard it coming out of U2 show back in 2001. It's pretty sad.

The chant doesn't bother me as much as the whole stupid curse talk. Anyone who talks or talked about a curse should be punched in the nuts. No one ever talked about a damned curse until Mr. Shaughnessy decided to publish a book to put his kids through college. End rant.

randhail said:

I have to say that as a Red Sox fan, the whole Yankees suck chant really annoys the piss out of me. If the two teams are playing, then fine, but at a random game against Texas, the chant will break out. I've even heard it coming out of U2 show back in 2001. It's pretty sad.

The chant doesn't bother me as much as the whole stupid curse talk. Anyone who talks or talked about a curse should be punched in the nuts. No one ever talked about a damned curse until Mr. Shaughnessy decided to publish a book to put his kids through college. End rant.

the yankees suck chant is my best proof... you don't hear "red sox suck" chants at random new york events. heck, ya don't even hear it at yankee/red sox games. you'll hear a "yankees suck" chant at a middle school dance recital in mid january.

i will say that you will hear "rangers suck" chants at islander games when they aren't even playing the rangers... which is equally as sad and pathetic, but i don't care about because hockey is a communist sport.

the yankees suck chant is my best proof... you don't hear "red sox suck" chants at random new york events. heck, ya don't even hear it at yankee/red sox games. you'll hear a "yankees suck" chant at a middle school dance recital in mid january.

I heard a big yankees suck chant at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. The Sox were up there for interleague play versus the Spos.

I went to Yankees/Red Sox at The Stadium back in Sept 2005 and they was no anti Red Sox apparel available unless you bought a bootleg "Boston Sucks" shirt for 10 bucks outside The Stadium. So quit being in denial and admit that BoSox fans hate the Yanks more than Yankee fans hate the BoSox. And what's there not to hate, right? After all, since 1918 it's: Evil Empire 26. Boston Red Sox, 1.

Don't think that Yankee fans are holier than though, afterall why would this tshirt have been made if there wasn't a good deal of hatred:

14654975_898d87040f_m.jpg

Dude, weren't the 2004 BoSox referred to as the "idiots" by then Red Sock, Johnny Damon?
I've never thought of Yankee fans as holier than thou. They don't call it the Bronx cheer for nothing.

MrPryck2U said:
Dude, weren't the 2004 BoSox referred to as the "idiots" by then Red Sock, Johnny Damon?
I've never thought of Yankee fans as holier than thou. They don't call it the Bronx cheer for nothing.

I'm well aware of what the Red Sox were called. I posted the picture of the shirt because you stated you didn't see any anti Red Sox apparel. Why would MLB produce this shirt if fans didn't eat it up? Yankee fans may not be at the level of sox fans when it comes to hatred, but it's not far off.

MrPryck2U said:
I went to Yankees/Red Sox at The Stadium back in Sept 2005 and they was no anti Red Sox apparel available unless you bought a bootleg "Boston Sucks" shirt for 10 bucks outside The Stadium. So quit being in denial and admit that BoSox fans hate the Yanks more than Yankee fans hate the BoSox. And what's there not to hate, right? After all, since 1918 it's: Evil Empire 26. Boston Red Sox, 1.

(Insert comment about 6-year-old Yankees fan here)

MrPryck2U said:
I went to Yankees/Red Sox at The Stadium back in Sept 2005 and they was no anti Red Sox apparel available unless you bought a bootleg "Boston Sucks" shirt for 10 bucks outside The Stadium.
Remarkably you won't find any "Yankees Suck" T-shirts for sale inside Fenway either, but they are available outside from vendors who sell non-licensed stuff...imagine that.
And all this time you thought the high and mighty Yanks were the only ones not selling unlicensed and mildly profane memorabilia.

I've been to Boston Common, or whatever you call it, many times and they sell shitloads of licensed anti Yankee apparel. Shitloads!

MrPryck2U said:
I've been to Boston Common, or whatever you call it, many times and they sell shitloads of licensed anti Yankee apparel. Shitloads!
Yes in Boston Common, just like you bought your "Boston Sucks" T-Shirt, Hat and DVD collection outside Yankme Stadium...none available inside Fenway or inside the House that Ruth built.

It's fairly obvious that Red Sox fans are a little more....concerned, let's say, with the sucktitude of the Yankees than Yankee fans are of the Red Sox. I've never bought a Red Sox suck shirt and I never will, never will even cross my mind. Would rather just support the Yanks. And, I'm not saying Yankee fans are all class, because we're clearly not, we just seem more concerned with Yankee victories than Red Sox losses.

By the way, am I the only Yankee fan who perfers NESN's broadcast team to YES'? I live in LA and so watch the Yanks on DirecTV, and, am pleased when the Sox/Yanks play and the feed shown on the extra innings package is the NESN feed. Remy and Orsillo are funny, have good chemistry, and, most remarkably, are very fair. They're a good listen.

Spoken, I actually like YES and Micheal Kay is my favorite announcer.
I don't buy any anti- Boston junk because I'd rather support my team than give creedence to the Boston team in any way. I visit Boston regularly, so I wouldn't say Boston sucks. It's a great city. I'm just kind of indifferent about their baseball team.

I have a lot of family in the New England area, all die-hard Sox fans. I've been to Fenway many times, and to take it one step further, a distant cousin of mine was a long-time PA accouncer for the Sox. I love Boston and enjoy visiting. I still hate the Red Sox like poison and always will, just not interested in wearing "boston sucks" shirts and such...so, we agree on that, Pryck2U. We disagree on Michael Kay. My favorite Yankee telecasts the past few years were when it would be Kaat and Singleton, no Kay. Cannot stand him, and, I used to listen to him when we was hosting a sports talk show on WFUV, Fordham's radio station. He's just not a good pxp man, in my opinion. I'm glad Girardi is back in the booth, and, I like Leiter and Flaherty a lot.

All I can say about Kay from listening to ESPN radio is that he's not bad - at least on his show. I have no idea what he's like on Yankee broadcasts. John Sterling, on the other hand, is perhaps the biggest toolbox in the entire world and his partner seems to be completely clueless about the game of baseball. Probably somewhat biased, but Sterling sucks donkey balls regardless.

Sterling is an abomination, and, the radio telecasts are so overwhelmingly stuffed with promo reads that it's impossible to sit back and just enjoy the game. Kay went to my High School, and I still do not like him. :) I'll miss Kaat this season.

Hewson said:
Yes in Boston Common, just like you bought your "Boston Sucks" T-Shirt, Hat and DVD collection outside Yankme Stadium...none available inside Fenway or inside the House that Ruth built.

yes... but you will find "yankees suck" stuff just about anywhere in all of new england, any time of year.

you'd be hard pressed to find the guy in chinatown or in times square selling "boston sucks" shirts unless they're playing each other in the playoffs. next to the stadium? yea... everywhere else? not really.

i can't stand yankee fans, either... but the last time i heard a yankee fan talk about how they hate boston and/or hte red sox was the last time the yankees played the red sox. when i was at school in new hampshire, i heard an anti-yankee/new york comment every single day.

:shrug: not that it matters, but i would have to say that red sox fans hate the yankees more than yankee fans hate the red sox.

as for michael kay and john sterling... i actually like sterling. his act is sooooo over the top that you have to laugh at him. his gimmick has gone from annoying to so annoying that it's comical.

michael kay on the other hand... i'd rather stab my eardrums with a pencil than listen to a kay called game. he is god awful. take tommy heinson... as big a homer for the celtics as you get. now take away his charm, make him a pompus ass, and have him deny that he roots for his team... and tada... you have michael kay.

nothing is worse than a homer who refuses to admit that he's a homer... and michael kay is the worst.

Last edited:

michael kay on the other hand... i'd rather stab my eardrums with a pencil than listen to a kay called game. he is god awful. take tommy heinson... as big a homer for the celtics as you get. now take away his charm, make him a pompus ass, and have him deny that he roots for his team... and tada... you have michael kay.

whoa whoa whoa. How on earth can you say that Tommy Heinson is a homer??? Is it really hard to believe that the Celtics don't commit any fouls ever? or that the worst officials in the league always manage to get the C's games? :wink:

Hate agreeing with Met fans about anything, but, yeah, that pretty much sums Kay up. When someone makes Bobby Murcer seem like a not so bad broadcaster, something is amiss.

Headache, you'd like Sterling a whole lot less if you rooted for the Yankees and found yourself listening to him from time to time out of necessity. Good lord. Hey, do you like Darling/Hernandez in the booth?

Back
Top Bottom