Let talk about Neil Young kids....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Kay? can we?

Ok, I really like Neil Young, and have for some time, what do you think? Prefer the Crazy Horse days? Harvest Moon? Or maybe the time period when he was sued by his record label for "unrepresentative" albums....good times....

For those who dont own a Young album, the Greatest Hits is available now, and not bad either. He has influenced many, and continues to. So, can you talk about Neil or what?

:wink:

let's talk about his electronica material.

seriously, he did shit like that. NEIL YOUNG - electronica-ish stuff!

ha!

there is no school anyone can attend that'll properly teach one to be as cool as neil.

i mean the guy is amazing. and he went to school in winnipeg.

suck on that!

Zoomerang96 said:
let's talk about his electronica material.

seriously, he did shit like that. NEIL YOUNG - electronica-ish stuff!

ha!

there is no school anyone can attend that'll properly teach one to be as cool as neil.

i mean the guy is amazing. and he went to school in winnipeg.

suck on that!

Do you mean that? I mean the part about Winnipeg......

Bought Zuma last month. Frickin ace. There's also a flying naked chic on the cover, and a rock giving the finger, just an added bonus. The month before that was Ragged Glory & Freedom. Checked out Reactor, and wasn't impressed, so I didn't buy. Same thing with his Bluenotes stuff.

There's a song on Ragged Glory called "Country Home" It's 8 minutes long, and plays the same 4 chords over, and over, and over. There is no bridge. Yet for some reason it never feels repetitive.

My Dad is a huge Neil Young fan. Took him to see Greendale 2 years ago @ Jones Beach. He enjoyed the show, but his face fucking lit up when he started playing "Roll Another Number."

Those are my current Neil Young thoughts.

Last edited:
I really love Neil Young, but for some reason when I saw this thread title, I thought it said, "Let's talk about Neil Young's kids", and I was about to get really pissed off, because they're both brain damaged (seriously) . Sorry.:reject:

He's brilliant, tough, and ever changing.:up:

When I was younger, I didn't care for him much, except 'Cinnamon Girl'. As with time, I came to like much of the stuff I've heard, and he is quite a talent. Caught the "Greendale" show twice (the second time was because Elvis Costello was opening this one show on the tour). Anyways, the first of the 'Greendale' shows, he finishes the album/story (it was theatrical) and does an encore of Young songs (about 30 minutes). When he played 'Mr. Soul', but husband commented that that song alone was worth the price of admission.

Keep On Rockin' In The Free World :rockon:

Saw it on the tube
Bought it on the phone
Now you're home alone
It's a piece of crap

Wrote some good tunes in his day, Piece of Crap withstanding.

I mean outstanding.

Guess Who else is from Winnipeg...

@!!!!!

Yeah, not my best.

What do you expect?

I'm from Winnipeg.

Elvis Presley said:
Kay? can we?

Ok, I really like Neil Young, and have for some time, what do you think? Prefer the Crazy Horse days? Harvest Moon? Or maybe the time period when he was sued by his record label for "unrepresentative" albums....good times....

For those who dont own a Young album, the Greatest Hits is available now, and not bad either. He has influenced many, and continues to. So, can you talk about Neil or what?

:wink:

Love Neil Young over and above any other artist. Love the varying stages (except the country shit and Silver and Gold, which I can't really warm up to except for Razor Love) Favorite albums: Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Zuma, Time Fades Away, Sleeps with Angels, American Stars and Bars (Like a Hurricane, Will to Love) Harvest, Tonight's the Night. Liked Greendale, but not quite as much as it seems guys do. (I usually use Greendale as background music, because I really like the music, just think the storyline's a little dumb. Was never too fond of preachy, ecology Neil although the use of the bullhorn is fun) He's the only artist where I actually search out bootlegs not just for the music but for the asides he gives.

The guy has a wicked sense of humor.

While deservedly not getting much critical acclaim, I even love the Geffen years. It's so perfectly Neil giving the finger. But we got Trans and Reactor out of that period and I love both.

Love his live performances with Crazy Horse best, I think. Not sure his wife and sister on tour are adding much to the music recently.

He's intriguing because you never know where he is going to go next. Don't like everything he does but I always look forward to something new. He's a puzzle where you can't make the pieces fit, but you're always grateful to see a new piece--in the hopes that maybe ... nah, won't happen. Just when you think you have a handle, he's off somewhere else. Some people find that off-putting. I find it exciting, although not always satisfying.

PS, although his older son has mild cerebral palsy, he isn't braindamaged. See him a lot on the tours. Seems to be a common misconception.

His movies are kind of funky, though. Human Highway was so bad, I laughed hysterically all the way through it. I know laughter was supposedly the point, but...

He did "Tonight's the Night" during the last tour before Greendale. It still shook me. That whole album is incredible.
One of the darkest social commentaries I've ever heard.

Neil Young is a genius and I'm happy that he is recovering from the aneurysm he had earlier this year.

'Rockin In The Free World' is one of greatest rock and roll songs ever :up:

I went to the VFC concert in St. Paul this past fall. Neil Young practically stole the bleepin' show from Bruce Springsteen, R.E.M. and John Fogarty, that's how great he was.

Back
Top Bottom