Lemonade Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
....ah memories of childhood summer time...playing with friends, swimming, and needing a permit to have a Lemonade Stand :|

18lemon.JPG

http://www.bonitanews.com/03/06/naples/d945350a.htm

Police shut down girl's lemonade stand; city later offers free permit

06/18/2003

By LARRY HANNAN

Avigayil Wardein may be only 6, but in the past few days she has learned a lot about permits and dealing with government regulations.

Naples police officers shut down a lemonade stand Avigayil was operating with friends at the end of her driveway on 11th Avenue South on Friday. Her mother, K.C. Shaw, said the lemonade stand was shut down because a neighbor complained.

"The police officers were really embarrassed about it," Shaw said. "One of them even bought some lemonade."

Under city rules, a permit is needed to operate a temporary commercial business in Naples.

The rule is designed to control temporary businesses. For example, the city would not want a hot dog vendor to set up a stand on Fifth Avenue South.

Collier County has similar rules. But this is the first time anyone in the city or county can remember a lemonade stand run by children being shut down.

Officials with both the city and county said the only way a lemonade stand would be shut down is if someone complained.

"No one goes around looking for lemonade stands to shut down," said Lisa Koehler, a Collier County community development spokeswoman. "But if someone complains, you have no choice but to take action."

The lemonade stand was back up again Tuesday after city officials helped the family out by granting them a permit.

"I found out you have to pay $35 for a permit each time you want to operate," Shaw said. "But when I explained my situation the city agreed to give us a permit for the whole summer for free. They were very nice about the whole thing."

Shaw said Avigayil will no longer charge 50 cents for a glass of lemonade. The lemonade will now be free and people will have the option of tipping her daughter and the other children who operate the stand.

"I spoke to a lawyer over the weekend and he told me the city couldn't shut us down if we didn't charge people anything," she said. "I think that's the way we're going to do it from now on."

The threat of rain didn't prevent Avigayil and her friends, Alysa Gonnella, 6, and Austin Dremann, 9, from reopening Tuesday.

"I want to sell a lot of lemonade today," Avigayil said.

Shaw said she usually sits on the porch while the lemonade stand is open.

"They want to be independent, so I sit up here and watch them," she said. "We get a lot of construction workers, people from the beach and people from Cambier Park who stop and buy lemonade."

The children have been operating the lemonade stand for about two years. The most money ever made during a single day was about $30 during the Fourth of July holiday last year.

"The roads were packed with people going to the (Naples Pier) to see the fireworks and a lot of people stopped and bought lemonade," Shaw said.

Austin said the number of times the lemonade stand is open depends on what else is going on.

"Sometimes we're open every couple of days," he said. "Other times it's every couple of weeks.

"We also sell more lemonade when it's sunny," Avigayil said.

Shaw said she has tried to teach Avigayil the basics of running a business through operating the lemonade stand.

"She's going into first grade and she's already learned about making change and selling a product," Shaw said. "I tell her it will be good training someday when she's a CEO."

Why would the neighbour complain?

That's the real question.....probably some old geezer who hates kids.

How many ways can YOU spell Caitlin?

I think that some parents will take a name and spell it oddly, hoping that that will set their child apart from all of the others with the same name. The 'v' in there is odd, though.

Ahem.

Avigayil is the closest English translation of the traditional Hebrew name. The name you are probably all more familiar with, Abigail (my name!), is actually a corruption of the Hebrew name--a name which is as old as the Old Testament. Jewish girls in particular are more likely to carry the Hebrew-to-English spelling (Avigayil) than non-Jewish girls (who usually get named Abigail).

So there.

Last edited:
By-laws and regulations and litgation and grumpy neighbours.....sad old world sometimes.
On a brighter note, my friend who lives on a busy road, put up one those "santa stop here" signs a few Christmases ago. She later discovered her very young sons, had painted their own sign and added it
" Come in for a cup of tea" Illegal tea-house? She didn't want unexpected visitors,so she made them take it down.

PS:my immediate thought was Abigail and I don't know much Hebrew, educated guess:D

our tax dollars at work.
lovely.

a day and age where kids can no longer be kids.
great
just great.

DB9

We used to sell Lemonade to golfers right on the course. Good thing we never got beaned by a stray ball! No one ever complained, but that was back in the Olden Days. :slant:

Thanks for enlightening me, Paxetaurora- I stand corrected and a little bit embarrassed. I believe the trend toward odd spellings is real, though.

Back
Top Bottom