Le Tampon, Réunion Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely. :laugh:

... I'll have to use a twenty minute Wolves In The Throne Room atmospheric black metal epic to close. See if ANYONE gets through it.

I've seen this disc. Maybe I'll check it out now that you mentioned it.

Just checked your list, 65 Days of Static 'Radio Protector'. :rockon: great stuff. Is the rest like that, and are they a current working group ?

:lol:

Well, that does explain things a bit, since Porcupine Tree is a bit of a throwback as far as their prog sound goes. Makes sense that he would have some spacey music like that. Very 70's sounding. I like them. Need to check them out a bit more. Also, you ( I think) and Bono212 had nice Dream Theater tracks.

Yeah, The Sky Moves Sideways in particular harks back to Wish You Were Here and stuff. PT was originally conceived by SW and a friend as a joke, a fictional seventies prog band, so you can tell where his musical interests lie. I imagine you'd quite enjoy the early albums from the more psychedelic phase (i.e. everything up to about Stupid Dream).

Ashley had Wait For Sleep and I had Eve, as far as Dream Theater goes. Not perhaps the most typical DT tracks, though.

By the way, on your disc, Distant Sun and One Tree Hill is just all kinds of win.

I've seen this disc. Maybe I'll check it out now that you mentioned it.

Just checked your list, 65 Days of Static 'Radio Protector'. :rockon: great stuff. Is the rest like that, and are they a current working group ?

Wolves In The Throne Room are my favourite black metal band. I was questioning my interest in the genre until I heard Diadem Of 12 Stars. Totally blew me away. Huge, sprawling, suffocating, intensely beautiful black metal noise. If you're familiar with Agalloch - well, if Agalloch are using folkish, blackish, doomish metal to create their soundscapes, then Wolves In The Throne Room could be said to be making the same soundscapes with exclusively black metal.

Yeah, 65DOS are still active. Most of their other songs bring in some more electronicy stuff (I'm no expert in the genre so I'm not sure quite how to describe it). They're at a somewhat electronicish end of post-rock, anyway. I definitely recommend the album Radio Protector's from. The opener, Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here, is in a provisional all-instrumental DI list I'm working on.

Distant Sun got me all choked up each time I heard it last tour. Great song. I almost used Private Universe :lol:

I'll drop the Porcupine Tree tracks everyone used this DI onto our Itunes and check them out closer. Keep an eye out for some inexpensive discs next time at the Amoeba store.

Well........... I gotta get to bed. Really sucks but I get up before 5 AM and head out for work. Trying to stop the financial bleeding.

So, wanted to say I enjoyed the list. I knew you were one to stick to your guns and not compromise, and I knew there was more to it than I thought after the first listen.

I'll try to stop by this weekend. I do miss the superthread personalities and would like to at least say hi to everyone. :wave:

Distant Sun was when Neil got everyone in Melbourne to actually stand the fuck up last year. So I fondly remember it for that! Can't wait to see the band twice in December. :drool:

Great to see you around, and hope you pop in again soon. Have a good night and I hope the early start isn't too brutal on you! :wave:

Wolves In The Throne Room are my favourite black metal band. I was questioning my interest in the genre until I heard Diadem Of 12 Stars. Totally blew me away. Huge, sprawling, suffocating, intensely beautiful black metal noise. If you're familiar with Agalloch - well, if Agalloch are using folkish, blackish, doomish metal to create their soundscapes, then Wolves In The Throne Room could be said to be making the same soundscapes with exclusively black metal.

Yeah, 65DOS are still active. Most of their other songs bring in some more electronicy stuff (I'm no expert in the genre so I'm not sure quite how to describe it). They're at a somewhat electronicish end of post-rock, anyway. I definitely recommend the album Radio Protector's from. The opener, Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here, is in a provisional all-instrumental DI list I'm working on.

Sounds good. I do like that dense black metal stuff, even if I find the bands are kinda humorous. Whatever, it's the music that matters :)

I'll check out 65DOS. At least I have a killer track by them, if I don't like the rest.

Hope things are going good for you. Take care & see you soon hopefully :wink:

That would be cool. I saw the DK's on New Years Eve 1984 w/ Butthole Surfers. :rockon:
Dead Kennedys :drool:

I'd do Sweet Children, early Green Day, The Lookouts, Mr T Experience, Horny Mormons, Tilt, Wynona Riders, Nomeansno, Early Rancid, Operation Ivy, Isocracy, Blatz, Corrupted Morals, Samiam, Pinhead Gunpowder, Crimpshrine, etc. etc

Last edited:
Those seem positively normal compared to some band names in the metal world.

The Powers Of Darkness Shall Rain Blood Upon This City For 500 Years.
Punk band names are usually some random amalgam of words or an inside joke of the band members or something.

Like "Green Day" is the slang for sitting around smoking pot all day. Now they're trying to make it be all environmental, but that's what it really means.

Punk band names are usually some random amalgam of words or an inside joke of the band members or something.

Like "Green Day" is the slang for sitting around smoking pot all day. Now they're trying to make it be all environmental, but that's what it really means.

I've always suspected that the U2 spyplane thing is just U2 fans trying to rationalise the band name into being something other than textspeak. I'd know; I do it myself.

On a related note, from the 101 Rules of Prog Metal:

34. Make sure your bandname is either a
a) Oxymoron
-Silent Noise
-Tender Harshness
-Healing Gun
Some geeky sounding name ripped from some obscure book.
-Deitronus
-Tarakoch
-Fentaran
or
c) Random combination of at least 2 three-syllable words.
-Eternal Twilight Tranquility (Can't get much progger than that)
-Redolent Arithmetic
-Evolution of Vernacular Domesticated
35. Don't worry about if your band name makes any sense or not. Since 90% of your fanbase is from Brazil and Japan, you can safely ignore conventional English grammar and instead focus on what´s really important: The lyrics (see rule 36).
36. Write deep and ambiguous lyrics.
37. If unable to write deep and ambigous lyrics, include at least one of the following phrases to ensure recognition as lyrical genius in prog circles:
"I'm staring towards ascension divine, caught in my own revelation, a nightly mystery of soulburning apparition"
"Mornings' gentle caress, a ray of sunlight enveloping the spirit of the sleeper ventriloquist"
"A timid, palatable genocide, turn towards the decline of mankind, the festering wound of ages past changes into the soul-spirit of vestigial sentences."

I've always suspected that the U2 spyplane thing is just U2 fans trying to rationalise the band name into being something other than textspeak. I'd know; I do it myself.

On a related note, from the 101 Rules of Prog Metal:

34. Make sure your bandname is either a
a) Oxymoron
-Silent Noise
-Tender Harshness
-Healing Gun
Some geeky sounding name ripped from some obscure book.
-Deitronus
-Tarakoch
-Fentaran
or
c) Random combination of at least 2 three-syllable words.
-Eternal Twilight Tranquility (Can't get much progger than that)
-Redolent Arithmetic
-Evolution of Vernacular Domesticated
35. Don't worry about if your band name makes any sense or not. Since 90% of your fanbase is from Brazil and Japan, you can safely ignore conventional English grammar and instead focus on what´s really important: The lyrics (see rule 36).
36. Write deep and ambiguous lyrics.
37. If unable to write deep and ambigous lyrics, include at least one of the following phrases to ensure recognition as lyrical genius in prog circles:
"I'm staring towards ascension divine, caught in my own revelation, a nightly mystery of soulburning apparition"
"Mornings' gentle caress, a ray of sunlight enveloping the spirit of the sleeper ventriloquist"
"A timid, palatable genocide, turn towards the decline of mankind, the festering wound of ages past changes into the soul-spirit of vestigial sentences."
U2 is one of the most retarded band names I've ever heard. And, remember, my favourite bands are usually stoners. Then again, Adam was a stoner when he came up with U2...:hmm:

and, :lmao: :lmao: I love that.

U2 is one of the most retarded band names I've ever heard. And, remember, my favourite bands are usually stoners. Then again, Adam was a stoner when he came up with U2...:hmm:

and, :lmao: :lmao: I love that.

I thought Steve Averill was the one who came up with U2? But yeah, it's an absolutely shit band name. It should probably go on my RYM shit band names list.

I adore the 101 Rules of Prog Metal. I'm most fond of these:

16. Refer to progressive metal as intelligent music for intelligent people, preferably at every occasion where a mainstream group or genre is mentioned.
17. Note that the above does not qualify as arrogance any more than pointing out that wine is drink for the more sophisticated.

96. In case you wondered, Dream Theater is and will always be the benchmark for prog metal. The more something sounds like Images and Words, the more progressive it is.
97. Proclaim Rule 96 to people with a straight face in all seriousness. This is not optional.

Khanadahar! Ian! How's life in your parts of the world today?

So I got asked by some research agency who I was planning to vote for. If the guy hadn't specified New Zealand election, I'd have said Barack Obama.

:lmao:

OK, this is sad. This Is Your Captain Speaking and Because Of Ghosts (and Seagull, but I've never heard of them) are playing a gig on the 8th of November, and while I'd like to go, I'm questioning whether I will because I'd like to stay home and watch the results of the New Zealand election come in.

On second thoughts, given the likelihood of a National win, I think maybe it'd be better to go out ...

i've been playing with my new phone this evening
swoon.gif

Ian, correction: the grungy geese are pissing on the plants.

How the hell do I know? I'm Mr Behind The Times with a mobile phone from 2004 that I plan to keep for the next four years.

I just remember Khan mentioning she wanted one yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom