Last Train to Satansville, Pennsylvania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a natural progression world pt. 2: ZOOROPA
(all guitars sounding like Lovetown guitars, tonewise, and with no modulation--only the pitch shift sound as used in HMTMKMKM, and on songs like Slug and When I Look At The World's solo)

01. Zooropa (not quite so muddled, still just as ethereal)
02. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me (exactly as it is)
03. Numb (with both electronic drums and real drums, the real drums played furiously like in Race Against Time)
04. Lemon (sung in full voice, not falsetto, and with guitar added, both rhythm and lead)
05. Stay (like With Or Without You and One--with a much more grand, important, urgent sense to it)
06. Even Better Than The Real Thing (straight up ballsy rock with another All Along The Watchtower beat)
07. Where Did It All Go Wrong (a refined, Lovetown'd version of what we have)
08. The First Time (exactly as it is except for better quality production--very Running To Stand Still)
09. Dirty Day (exactly like how it was done on ZooTV)
10. Slow Dancing (darker than the two versions we've heard--a sinister bit of Exit involved)
11. The Wanderer (the darkest song yet done by U2, musically more similar to Mothers Of The Disappeared and Love Is Blindness)

This would probably be in my top 4 U2 albums.

Fuck, that's droolworthy, Andrew. I'd certainly be quite taken by something like that. Though I'm not entirely convinced the tracklisting is ideal. Especially The First Time's placement. How about Lemon --> EBTTRT --> Stay --> First Time --> Dirty Day --> WDIAGW? Though WDIAGW into Slow Dancing would be a bit weird too.

And Paul McGuiness publicly scathes about U2 because they called it quits when they could be lining his talentless ass with cash.

Fuck, that's droolworthy, Andrew. I'd certainly be quite taken by something like that. Though I'm not entirely convinced the tracklisting is ideal. Especially The First Time's placement. How about Lemon --> EBTTRT --> Stay --> First Time --> Dirty Day --> WDIAGW? Though WDIAGW into Slow Dancing would be a bit weird too.

Yeah, I didn't put as much thought into the list--just into the songs and what they'd sound like. That's the most important part. :drool:

And after that, U2 retire as a band. Bono goes on to politick, Adam and Larry go on to be rich quiet, and Edge goes on to write, record, and produce his own solo albums.

Though in 1998, they quietly regroup and release the following:

1. United Colours
2. One Minute Warning
3. Mofo
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. Last Night On Earth
6. Always Forever Now
7. Your Blue Room
8. Beach Sequence
9. Slug
10. Please
11. Wake Up Dead Man
12. Gone

Just because I need the best bits of Passengers and Pop.

Though in 1998, they quietly regroup and release the following:

1. United Colours
2. One Minute Warning
3. Mofo
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. Last Night On Earth
6. Always Forever Now
7. Your Blue Room
8. Beach Sequence
9. Slug
10. Please
11. Wake Up Dead Man
12. Gone

Just because I need the best bits of Passengers and Pop.

Quite impossible as they already appeared on Edge's "Experiments In Sounds" and "Experiments In Popular Sounds" albums. :wink:

Needs SDABTO with improved lyrics.

In place of TFT, good lord that song is boring I could see that working.

Yeah, this sounds good. I don't find The First Time to be boring, but I definitely think it's one of Zooropa's lesser tracks, and not one I ever listen to regularly. SDABTO's music is fantastic.

And let's be honest, its lyrics are better than at least half of what Bono's written this decade too.

Yeah, this sounds good. I don't find The First Time to be boring, but I definitely think it's one of Zooropa's lesser tracks, and not one I ever listen to regularly. SDABTO's music is fantastic.

And let's be honest, its lyrics are better than at least half of what Bono's written this decade too.

The First Time is the closest U2 has gotten to 1987 since 1989 though. And they've never come as close since. :sad:

Anyway, I'd be willing to revise that list to add SDABTO as long as TFT can stay. :hyper:

Quite impossible as they already appeared on Edge's "Experiments In Sounds" and "Experiments In Popular Sounds" albums. :wink:

Just as long as I get the twelve aforementioned songs.

Especially Gone.

XX. Some Days Are Better Than Others (with all real drums which are both creative and solid* and without the random digital shit going on in the background, but with a layer of U2 signature sparkly keyboard** replacing it)

*see "Magazine" by Pedro The Lion
**see keyboards during "All I Want Is You" and "Always Forever Now"

AND, all of them sound better because Edge played all instruments on the album but drums (which were played by Jimmy Chamberlain and notLarry).

The First Time is the closest U2 has gotten to 1987 since 1989 though. And they've never come as close since. :sad:

Anyway, I'd be willing to revise that list to add SDABTO as long as TFT can stay. :hyper:

XX. Some Days Are Better Than Others (with all real drums which are both creative and solid* and without the random digital shit going on in the background, but with a layer of U2 signature sparkly keyboard** replacing it)

*see "Magazine" by Pedro The Lion
**see keyboards during "All I Want Is You" and "Always Forever Now"

This would work for me. :up:

Though I don't agree with you on First Time. I don't see too much of a 1987 connection. I see more linkages between, say, Spanish Eyes --> WDIAGW, Exit --> WUDM and Dirty Day, etc.

This would work for me. :up:

Though I don't agree with you on First Time. I don't see too much of a 1987 connection. I see more linkages between, say, Spanish Eyes --> WDIAGW, Exit --> WUDM and Dirty Day, etc.

Hmm. Well, I can see a couple of those connections, but musically I couldn't see WDIAGW, DD, or WUDM fitting, as they are, on The Joshua Tree, whereas I could see TFT fitting in perfectly on The Joshua Tree as it is currently. It's also very All I Want Is You. :shrug:

Gone and Wake Up Dead Man even feature Bono on vocals. :D
Your Blue Room features Adam.

Thinking about it, Edge would probably be better than Bono in Beach Sequence and Slug.

AND, all of them sound better because Edge played all instruments on the album but drums (which were played by Jimmy Chamberlain and notLarry).

Anybody's better than Larry. What band's Chamberlain from?

Thinking about it, Edge would probably be better than Bono in Beach Sequence and Slug.

Anybody's better than Larry. What band's Chamberlain from?

He's from Smashing Pumpkins (from I think 1991-1995?) and is actually a really fucking good drummer. He has some mediocre moments, but a lot of his shit's pretty creative and brings the rock.

Hmm. Well, I can see a couple of those connections, but musically I couldn't see WDIAGW, DD, or WUDM fitting, as they are, on The Joshua Tree, whereas I could see TFT fitting in perfectly on The Joshua Tree as it is currently. It's also very All I Want Is You. :shrug:

Hm, I think I see what you mean sonically. I just don't get much of a late eighties vibe off it myself. While with the songs I named, they may not sonically fit on JT, but I think they at least carry on a vibe evoked by the JT-era tracks. Can you imagine how good Exit --> WUDM --> Dirty Day --> Bullet would be live?

He's from Smashing Pumpkins (from I think 1991-1995?) and is actually a really fucking good drummer. He has some mediocre moments, but a lot of his shit's pretty creative and brings the rock.

Ahh, righto.

Thinking of drummers who I feel could work with Edge, rather than just ones who I think fucking destroy the drumkit ten ways from Sunday (Mike Portnoy, Hellhammer, Gavin Harrison, whoever the hell's in Behold The Arctopus), Paul Hester could've been cool. He was talented and creative, but within a pop-rock mould rather than, you know, Hellhammer's avantgarde black metal or whatever.

Anyway, now that I've pissed all over everyone's favourite two albums (can you imagine if I posted these thoughts in EYKIW???) by U2 (simply making them better and more of a natural progression, of course), I think I'll go to bed.

Depends on if Bono can sing them all, and can get intense enough.

Let me rephrase that: can you imagine how good Exit --> WUDM --> Dirty Day --> Bullet would've been at the start of Popmart before Bono completely blew out his voice?

Ahh, righto.

Thinking of drummers who I feel could work with Edge, rather than just ones who I think fucking destroy the drumkit ten ways from Sunday (Mike Portnoy, Hellhammer, Gavin Harrison, whoever the hell's in Behold The Arctopus), Paul Hester could've been cool. He was talented and creative, but within a pop-rock mould rather than, you know, Hellhammer's avantgarde black metal or whatever.

Either that or Edge, who also invented the time machine in 1996 in this alternate reality, could go back to 1982 every two years and pull a 20 year old Larry in to record on his albums. The only problem with this is that you'd have Larrys in 2 year incriments, all wanting a slice of money, all wanting to write the biggest pop hits ever, and all thinking, "That Paul McGuiness is a smart guy--remixes are hip, AND I don't even have to play on them! So it's like I get money for doing nothing!"

Anyway, now that I've pissed all over everyone's favourite two albums (can you imagine if I posted these thoughts in EYKIW???) by U2 (simply making them better and more of a natural progression, of course), I think I'll go to bed.

Haha, I was just thinking that if we had this discussion on EYKIW, people would already be coming for us with pitchforks.

Have a good night! :wave:

Let me rephrase that: can you imagine how good Exit --> WUDM --> Dirty Day --> Bullet would've been at the start of Popmart before Bono completely blew out his voice?

Or... Can I imagine how good that would have been at the end of the ZooTV Tour when U2 decided to debut their brand new song Wake Up Dead Man...?

That would have fucking owned. Though I think I'd sub out Bullet for Love Is Blindness and have those four be the encore and end the show. :wink:

Haha, I was just thinking that if we had this discussion on EYKIW, people would already be coming for us with pitchforks.

Have a good night! :wave:

I need to collate those thoughts and find the right flow, and then I think I will. If you get bored, why don't you try "tinkering" with the Zooropa songs to see what kinda flow you could get. :shrug: It's gonna be a fun place when Rob impersonates BVS for the :huh:

Either that or Edge, who also invented the time machine in 1996 in this alternate reality, could go back to 1982 every two years and pull a 20 year old Larry in to record on his albums. The only problem with this is that you'd have Larrys in 2 year incriments, all wanting a slice of money, all wanting to write the biggest pop hits ever, and all thinking, "That Paul McGuiness is a smart guy--remixes are hip, AND I don't even have to play on them! So it's like I get money for doing nothing!"

:lmao:

I think Larry hadn't lost all his braincells in 1982, so all isn't totally lost!

Or... Can I imagine how good that would have been at the end of the ZooTV Tour when U2 decided to debut their brand new song Wake Up Dead Man...?

That would have fucking owned. Though I think I'd sub out Bullet for Love Is Blindness and have those four be the encore and end the show. :wink:

Ha, this sounds pretty awesome. Though keep Bullet, since it's the rocked-the-fuck-out ZooTV version, and then just have Love Is Blindness follow it. Five song final encore. I'd be so into that. (And I just love the Dirty Day --> Bullet segue. "Loooove, it won't last kissin'-" *BOOM!*)

While you guys are being nerds, I've been a different kind of nerd and drawn a laughoriffic MS Paint picture of Adam getting an x-ray in 1993.

jollytime.jpg

Okay, it might have just been an excuse to draw that poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom