Last.fm-Mainstream-O-Meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
http://mainstream.vincentahrend.com/

Why am I only finding out about this now? Oh, right, because I never visit the Last.fm forums. Anyway, this is really cool. If you have an Audioscrobbler account, you can enter in your username and calculate how mainstream your music taste is.

Hi GG,

How are ya?

I'm curious, and don't take this the wrong way, why do you care what's mainstrem or not mainstream? I've always thought it really doesn't matter how the music one likes is classified.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
The results of my top ten:

1. Pink Floyd 77.00 %
2. Radiohead 103.62 %
3. Echo & The Bunnymen 17.16 %
4. Roger Waters 2.60 %
5. Queen 73.38 %
6. Muse 77.37 %
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers 103.64 %
8. Howard Shore 16.04 %
9. The Beatles 101.35 %
10. Modest Mouse 59.97 %

Overall, the music I listen to is 55.70% mainstream.

I'm 64.37 % mainstream

1. Muse 77.37 %
2. The White Stripes 82.34 %
3. U2 79.22 %
4. The Killers 81.67 %
5. Radiohead 103.62 %
6. Pink Floyd 77.00
7. Evanescence 55.26 %
8. Green Day 87.25 %
9. Bruce Springsteen 31.49 %
10. Sarah Blasko 1.57 %

MrBrau1 said:
who cares?

Brau, if you're not going to be nice, you can bugger off. Go whine in the "vs" threads in EYKIW or something.

GibsonGirl said:

Brau, if you're not going to be nice, you can bugger off. Go whine in the "vs" threads in EYKIW or something.

Why do you care how "mainstream" your tastes are? Are you insecure about something?

MrBrau1 said:

Why do you care how "mainstream" your tastes are? Are you insecure about something?

No, I just found a cool statistical Last.fm tool and thought other people might be interested in it. For christ's sake. :|

how does a band become more than 100% mainstream?

and doesnt this really measure how mainstream your music taste is among computer nerds who use last.fm or whatever? because i dont really see Radiohead being 100+% mainstream in the real world.

MrBrau1 said:
holy defensive.

You post 'who cares?' and I'm NOT supposed to get defensive? Honestly, for someone who bitches and moans about how negative Interference is, you certainly do contribute your fair share.

Anyway, I was wondering the same thing, Chaz. And yeah, it's obviously comparing everyone to the last.fm database.

Screwtape2 said:
1. Kate Bush 20.55 %
2. The Cure 71.77 %
3. U2 79.22 %
4. Peter Gabriel 22.10 %
5. Tori Amos 33.65 %
6. Todd Rundgren 3.85 %
7. Genesis 17.17 %
8. Utopia 0.30 %
9. The Smashing Pumpkins 67.73 %
10. Pink Floyd 77.00 %

37.93% mainstream. :wink:

Whoa, I didn't know so few people on last.fm listened to Utopia! I also would have expected the Pumpkins to be a bit higher.

LemonMelon said:
More people listen to Radiohead on last.fm than the Beatles? :|

More people listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers than The Beatles...that's kind of scary. :lol:

LemonMelon said:

:yikes: Even "internet nerds" have lousy taste. :eyebrow:

Hey, I like the Chili Peppers' old stuff. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is phenomenal. I just wouldn't have expected them to be more popular than The Beatles on the site! True, it's only by a hair, but still.

37.20 % mainstream

1. Stars 26.28 %
2. Snow Patrol 54.10 %
3. U2 79.22 %
4. Bell X1 2.90 %
5. The Pogues 12.24 %
6. Guster 12.99 %
7. The Arcade Fire 57.53 %
8. Flogging Molly 19.69 %
9. Oasis 73.89 %
10. Wolf Parade 20.88 %

GibsonGirl said:

You post 'who cares?' and I'm NOT supposed to get defensive? Honestly, for someone who bitches and moans about how negative Interference is, you certainly do contribute your fair share.

Yes. I post "who cares"

You shit a brick.

You want sugarcoating and false pleasantries? Really? You want that?

Ok. I've edited my original post.

Why don't you make the forum better? I've inquired and been told to stop by hosts. This forum doesn't want to get better.

1. U2 79.22 %
2. The Killers 81.67 %
3. Peter Gabriel 22.10 %
4. Meat Loaf 12.18 %
5. Fall Out Boy 50.99 %
6. Cher 10.52 %
7. Hans Zimmer 15.28 %
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers 103.64 %
9. Thomas Newman 8.72 %
10. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 15.72 %

and an overall of 54.50 % mainstream

Brau, while you used to contribute something to this forum, you really no longer do. All you do is shit over the discussion and find reasons to complain about everything. It's getting tiresome, not to mention hypocritical. Also, the only person over-reacting here is you. I don't see GG shitting a brick. I see you slinging mud at a thread that may not have much substance but nonetheless holds interest for some of us, especially those who are statistically minded. So give it a rest already.

Oh, and it seems that thus far, I win at non-mainstreamness. :wink:

23.42 % mainstream

Only 9 of my top 30 have a mainstream rating over 30%. Only 5 past 50%. None past 80%.

Axver said:
Oh, and it seems that thus far, I win at non-mainstreamness. :wink:

23.42 % mainstream

Only 9 of my top 30 have a mainstream rating over 30%. Only 5 past 50%. None past 80%.

Why, Axver, I'm shocked. I was certain you would've been at least 90% mainstream, what with all the Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater stuff that is no doubt prevalent in your last.fm account :wink:

namkcuR said:

Why, Axver, I'm shocked. I was certain you would've been at least 90% mainstream, what with all the Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater stuff that is no doubt prevalent in your last.fm account :wink:

Yeah, but that kind of radio friendly fluff is outweighed by the prog metal genius of U2 at #1. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

Yes. I post "who cares"

You shit a brick.

Why don't you make the forum better? I've inquired and been told to stop by hosts. This forum doesn't want to get better.

Oh, grow up Brau. I did not shit any bricks. You posted a snarky reply to my original post for the sake of being snarky, and I got annoyed. Simple as that. However, your condescending edit MIGHT make me shit bricks.

If you think this forum is as bad as you make it out to be, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from leaving.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes. I post "who cares"

You shit a brick.

Brau, if you really want the forum to be better why are you attacking the people that make this forum special? I mean come on, Gibsongirl? You won't find anyone as thoughtful and intellectual in a musical discussion on this forum and that's what you want isn't it?

1. The Beatles - 101.35 %
2. Pink Floyd - 77.00 %
3. U2 - 79.22 %
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - 103.64 %
5. Muse - 77.37 %
6. Radiohead - 103.62 %
7. Coldplay - 104.12 %
8. Keane - 45.20 %
9. The Rolling Stones - 62.46 %
10. Snow Patrol - 54.10 %

75.19 % mainstream

Needs moar mainstream! :drool: