Laser Eye Surgury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Anyone had this or knows anyone who has had this surgery? I am considering getting Lasik (all laser) surgery so I can get rid of my contacts.

Someone I work with had it in October of 2002, and she has been 20/20 ever since with no problems at all. Her daughter went for it a couple of weeks ago, and she was told that lasik would not be good for her because of her severe astigmatism, but that another new surgery called The Wave would be coming next for patients like her. So you just have to go for the initial appointment to see if Lasik would be good for you.

I have been thinking about it also, but at 1800.00 an eye, I have to find out for sure if I am not spending my money on a tour this year.

$1800 an eye!

One place advertises on the radio for only $399.99 per eye. It's probably located behind the gas station next to the liquor store. :no:

You get what you pay for ...

Um ... I thought about it, but for my mind, the proceedure is still to new to know the long-term effects. And after reading about some of the potential side effects, I was scared away.

I'll take my contacts, thank you.

Though my boss had Laski and has had no problem.

I guess it's a personal choice.

Lasik Surgery

For me is OK. I was frightened at first and also when it takes place. But it was the best way to spend my money. encourage yourself!:) :) :up:

nbcrusader said:
$1800 an eye!

One place advertises on the radio for only $399.99 per eye. It's probably located behind the gas station next to the liquor store. :no:

:lmao:

There is only one center where I live that does it. My friends daughter went to Dallas because it was a lot cheaper, but the kicker was you get it done once and that is it for the 399.00 price.
For the 1800.00 you get up to 3 re-dos in one years time if need be.

I would like to get the surgery someday. I've been wearing glasses since I was eight, and recently began wearing contacts, so it would be nice to wake up in the morning without a blurry eyesight.

But since it costs a lot, I'll be waiting several years to look in to getting the procedure

Last edited:
My father had it done a couple of years ago and it has worked out really well for him. He did have to go back a few months after the initial surgery for a re-do, but the doctor had told him this might be necessary, so he expected this.

It is very expensive, like others have said, and you do have to be careful about which doctor you choose. I've seen horror stories on news programs about people who did have permanent eye damage because of quacks who weren't really qualified. I would like to have it done too (contacts irritate my eyes and glasses are a pain :( ).

Last edited:
I just read a small article in More magazine about Lasik. The percentage of people getting 20/20 or better from Lasik is 20% and with the new Wave, about 80% of the people are getting 20/20!!! :yes:
Except it will cost 300.00 to 500.00 more an eye. :faint:
Anyway the Wave technique sends light through your eye and when the light bounces back they make a "map" of your eye so that they can do precise cutting for your eye.
I guess just plain Lasik sorta does a generic pattern. :shrug:

I'm back and I CAN SEE! It is beautiful to look out the window and see everything so clearly without contacts or glasses. :up:

I going back for a follow-up in an hour.

I'll post the gory details in my journal.

Is there a limit on how bad your eyes can be? I'm a poor college student at the moment and contacts due just fine, but my dad's eyes are so bad that he can't even have contacts. I don't EVER want to go back to glasses....I'm hoping that by the time I can afford the procedure it'll be cheaper and/or the long-term effects will be known.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Is there a limit on how bad your eyes can be? I'm a poor college student at the moment and contacts due just fine, but my dad's eyes are so bad that he can't even have contacts. I don't EVER want to go back to glasses....I'm hoping that by the time I can afford the procedure it'll be cheaper and/or the long-term effects will be known.

I am not aware of a fixed limit on the level of correction that can be achieved by Lazik. I guess it depends, in part, on the thickness of the eye surface.

I have spoken to people who are happy they got rid of their "coke bottle" glasses after the procedure.

Prices should continue to fall, and perhaps this will be something fully covered by insurance in the future.

I don't regret a penny I spent on the surgery. Enjoy your new found freedom! For a few weeks it's like a present you get to keep opening. It's a great gift you gave yourself.

I got it done in 2000 after wearing glasses and contacts since i was 6:eek: I don't want to scare people from my experience but it's the truth so i'll say it. First of all I have 20/20 vision with no problems and it's the best thing I ever had done for myself. Now for the scary part.

Back then there were 2 types of eye correction operations, Lasik and PRK. I was told my eyes were too bad for Lasik and I also have astigmatism and as a result I was told I could only get PRK done so I said ok. I went in to get it done and it took only 15 minutes and I went home. Well within 20 minutes I started to feel a real pain in my eyes and sat in my room and the pain kept going on and on and I just literally sat in the corner of my room for the next 2 days with none of the pain going away. My folks called the company and were told that it was 'normal' for PRK and it would go away after a few days. They explained to me that what was happenning is that air was hitting the parts of eye that were trying to form a new layer or something, all I know is I was in a living hell that I have never felt before. I never expected that because my brother had got Lasik done and he was fine the same day and no pains. So anyways a few days later thing slowly got better and a week later I was back to normal but if anybody told me the amount of pain I would feel I would never have gotten it done but in retrospect I have had 3 years of 20/20 vision and no fuss and muss with contacts. Everything I wrote was only applied to PRK and some people might not feel that pain but LAsik is 100% pain free and my mom got it done too. I got my operation done for $1100 all together which is peanuts for a lifetimeof good vision but everyone soul dbe told the truth BEFORE they get it done.

My eyes burned for hours after I had my laser surgery, so I wouldn't say LASIK is 100% pain free. Not excruciating, but not pleasant. The 20/20 vision I enjoy now was worth it.

Last edited:
I am SO jealous :| May I ask how much it cost? Maybe I should stop saving for a laptop and look into this. The problem I have is not so much my vision, but contacts make my eyes so dry and swollen. They hurt and feel like there's sand in them, even for an hour after I take my contacts out. It's partly because I work in Info/Tech so I'm staring at a computer, and partly the cold, dry winter Michigan air :huh:

One thing I might mention... I was told that I'd probably need reading glasses sooner than I would have, had I not had the surgery. But what's a pair of readers, compared to contacts or glasses all the time?

I am having Lasik/Wave done tomorrow! My cornea thickness was borderline at almost being too thin for Lasik but it did fall in the range :applaud: !

I didn't want PRK :no: !

I was told not to sleep for six hours after the surgery, and they are giving me 3 pain pills to take home for use if needed afterwards.

Simply amazing!!!!!

The doc was even amazed that I have 20/20 today because he had to do extensive treatment on me!

I was the person that had to tap her hands around the night table to feel for my glasses in the morning!

:happy:

Back
Top Bottom