Lancemc presents The Interference Fantasy Filmmaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:

His movies are hollow and emotionless. It is all flash but no substance. Take Boogie Nights for example. You are exposed to these colorful characters that go nowhere and you leave the theatre taking away nothing. He can create interesting characters but does nothing with them. He tries to create epics but they always hopelessly fail because epics are all about the change in characters. Like I said before, he never does anything with those characters.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're just wrong. I mean, there is never any Micheal Corleone-level of growth as far as characters go, but I can't really see how your argument applies to PT films. The cast in Boogie Nights went through plenty of change. They all started out as a naive, optimistic family swimming in the excess of the 70's. Then egos grow, ambititons swell, drugs hit the scene hard, and the strain becomes too much. We're treated to my favorite scene in the film where Macy's character kills his wife and himself, the moment we enter the 80's. The shit hits the fan. Our characters fail to adapt to the new climate, and hit their lifetime lows. PT captures the despair and choas of this time rather effectively I find. And ultimately they all realize the only way to survive is to stick to their original family values. Full circle no? I fail to see how he "never does anything" with these characters. Same goes for all his films.

THAT SAID, however. I do feel that Anderson doesn't put the main focus on his characters. First and foremost, he uses his visual craft (which is second to none these days) to tell the story. Whether it's the smutt film satire and visual etching of the two decades in Boogie Nights or the more abstract use of sound and color in Punch-Drunk Love, Anderson is always using the full capabilities as film as a medium to tell his story. Which is what I tend to look for more in films than pure narritive or character-driven writing, which should be of any surprise to anyone who is familiar with my preference in films. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:
What Kind of Movie:
Drama – Crime - Family: suburban California: present day.
Approx running time: 120 minutes

Directed By:
Joel and Ethan Coen (Fargo, The Big Lebowski)

Written By:
Joel and Ethan Coen (Fargo, The Big Lebowski)

Leading Cast:
Michael Keaton (Batman, Jackie Brown)
Christian Bale (American Psycho, The Prestige)
Sigourney Weaver (Alien, Gorillas in the Mist)

Supporting Cast:
Michael Caine (Sleuth, Get Carter)
Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta, Garden State)
Shia Labeouf (Disturbia, Transformers)
Willem Dafoe (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Last Temptation of Christ)

Original Music By:
Carter Burwell (The Big Lebowski, Fargo)

Cinematography By:
Thierry Arbogast (The Professional, The Fifth Element)

Film Editing By:
Michael Kahn (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Art Direction By:
John Dexter (The Big Lebowski, Sleepy Hollow)

Sound Design By:
Steve Boeddeker (Fight Club, X-Men)

I'm not too sure about your choice of leads, but your supporting cast is wonderful. (Not saying I don't like the actors in your lead list, I really do, but I'm not sure if I like them all together or in this particiular film). But I love your choice for Art Direction and Director of Photography. :up:

Lancemc said:

I'm not too sure about your choice of leads, but your supporting cast is wonderful. (Not saying I don't like the actors in your lead list, I really do, but I'm not sure if I like them all together or in this particiular film). But I love your choice for Art Direction and Director of Photography. :up:

Thanks, the only role I'm unsure about is Michael Keaton's. I really think he has great enough depth in his acting ability to play the part I have in mind for him, but I'm still not too sold on it. Plus I needed an actor/actress combo with a believable age difference to the kids, which limited my criteria. As for them gelling, that's a whole 'nother story.

I just think Weaver is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb in there. Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. Hard to say. And I'm not sure how Bale and Keaten would work off one another. It seems like their personalities are a bit too similar or something. I dunno.

I do know what you're saying about Keaton though, I feel the same way about Kevin Bacon. Personaly, I'd love to see Bacon in that particular kind of role.

I can't think of any good 50-something dramatic actresses. :crazy:

Well Keaton and Bale were both Batman so... :wink:

Kevin Bacon would be pretty cool, I was also considering Kurt Russell.

I think you're missing the most obvious one here, Frances McDormand. She's in her 50's now, and a seasoned Coen Bros. alumnus.

It was so obvious I had to miss it. I almost went with Toni Collette on that one, too.

What Kind of Movie
Genre - Subgenre - Subgenre : Physical Setting : Time:
Awesome, Awesome, Everywhere, All times, Running Time: Until one man falls - probably several mortal lifetimes - just like Chariots of Fire or Contact.

Directed by
Chuck Norris / Vin Diesel

Written by

Leading Cast
Actor Chuck Norris
Actor Vin Diesel

Supporting Cast
Chuck Norris's Right Arm
Chuck Norris's Left Arm
Vin Diesel's Left Leg
Vin Diesel's Right Leg

Original Music by
The sounds of Chuck and Vin's fist and legs beating each other.

Cinematography by
Anyone brave enough to get close

Film Editing by
NONE

Art Direction by
The blood spattering about will be all natural

Sound Design by
See Original Music

--------OPTIONAL--------

Assisstant Director
lol

Costume Design
None

Stunts by

Choreography (dancing or fighting) by

Expert Consultant
I think we have enough experts

Visual Effects by
God

Lancemc said:
#1. All selections for cast and crew must be current, working professionals, meaning you can't choose a retired/dead director and cast De Niro form 1974 to star.

Aw, there goes my fantasy dream team involving Raoul Walsh and Joe Pesci :p Gives a lot more focus to the idea though. I'm going to have to mull this one over, I know what type of film I want but thinking of the right cast and crew is a real toughie.

This would be nice to see however.

Movie Title: Space Moon
Tag: In space, no one can see you moon.
Cast: Space Moon appearing as itself

No spoken words said:
spacemoon1pk3.jpg

I could do more of these if it were just directors/writers/actors. Some of the other categories are way more contingent on the genre-type than just every movie. I'm sure the sound design in The 40-Year-Old Virgin was terrific though.

Well, that's sort of the point of all this; getting people to think more about all the unsung heroes that work on every film, beyond just the actors and directors, because a film really can't work without every piece of the puzzle.

I was hoping a lot of people would really take the time and research some people in each catagory and maybe get really into this. As of now, we've only seen two serious entries beside my own, and one of them was almost entirely David Lynch ;). So, I had hoped this would be a more successful experiment than it's promising to become, but what the hell, the few of us really putting some thought into this (though Canadiens' joke was well played) will have some fun.

I get what you mean, there are stand-outs in each field. The way I'm looking at it though are people in their fields that fit into the movie idea that I have, instead of a random bunch of people who are extremely skilled.

I'm a little irked my last movie-related voting thread has been a failure compared to the others, I hope this one catches on.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but I think you mean you're having trouble finding specific people that are both talented and well-suited for the type of film? Is that right? Because if so, that's the whole point. Because, for example, if you look at all the people I choice in my pitch, and take a quick look at their work, it's easy to get a solid picture as to what my film would look and sound like as well as what kind of writing and performances it would have.

Lancemc said:
Well, that's sort of the point of all this; getting people to think more about all the unsung heroes that work on every film, beyond just the actors and directors, because a film really can't work without every piece of the puzzle.

I was hoping a lot of people would really take the time and research some people in each catagory and maybe get really into this. As of now, we've only seen two serious entries beside my own, and one of them was almost entirely David Lynch ;). So, I had hoped this would be a more successful experiment than it's promising to become, but what the hell, the few of us really putting some thought into this (though Canadiens' joke was well played) will have some fun.

Uh-oh Beav. Looks like your jokes are just....played.

You just got Lanced.

That is right, if I were making a pure fantasy idea, it would be of my favorite people in each position, almost like a fantasy football team. Here though, it is according to their skill in the style of movie you are pitching.

I noticed with your list a lot of your technical positions were from Scorcese/Anderson-related films, so that's another factor that could go into deciding a fantasy movie, familiarity with the crew. I might end up doing that with my next pitch.

Right-on. And it is an important distinction, which is also why I encouraged people to come up with as many as 3 different ideas, so they can get to use a lot of their favorite people if they didn't necessarily work well together.

I have 2 comedy ideas, an ultimate Oscar contender drama-type, and a sweet-ass sci-fi flick.

Not sure which 2 to use next.

I'd say the latter two. Comedies are all about the jokes, and since this isn't really about the script, the other ideas might fare better here.:shrug:

Personally, I'm still working on my take on the Western revenge sorta flick.

It depends what type of comedy though, a Wes Anderson-type or a Judd Apatow-type. I'm leaning towards the Wes Anderson one anyway.

That you will:

What Kind of Movie:
Comedy – Drama: New York City, New York: present day.
Approx running time: 110 minutes

Directed By:
Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums)

Written By:
Mike White (School of Rock, Orange County)

Leading Cast:
Paul Rudd (Knocked Up, The Cider House Rules)
Winona Ryder (Reality Bites, Edward Scissorhands)

Supporting Cast:
Owen Wilson (The Royal Tenenbaums, Zoolander)
Kevin Spacey (American Beauty, L.A. Confidential)
Catherine O’Hara (Best in Show, Beetlejuice)
Zooey Deschanel (Elf, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
Michael Cera (Superbad)
Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Caddyshack)

Original Music By:
Mark Mothersbaugh (Rushmore, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)

Cinematography By:
Robert Yeoman (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums)

Film Editing By:
Matt Chesse (Stranger Than Fiction, Finding Neverland)

Art Direction By:
Nicholas Lundy (High Fidelity, Kinsey)

Sound Design By:
George H. Anderson (Groundhog Day, The 40-Year-Old Virgin)

---
The one writer rule is bullshit, so just pretend White's co-writing with Anderson and probably Owen Wilson to some degree.

Last edited:
Mark Mothersbaugh :up:

He did the front-end music for the Sims 2, as an interesting bit of trivia.

Back
Top Bottom