L.A. area turn on the news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow...

i did see the coverage when it happened. that was indeed scary. and i do agree with she is raging. i would fly jetblue any day.

Two notes....

On my way up to Minneapolis yesterday morning I spoke with one of our A320/A319 (I work for an airline) pilots. She had watched the coverage too. She actually said that the media had blown this a bot out of proportion, and that the A320 is actually a pretty easy plane to land on its "main" gear like that. The tail of the aircraft is actually pretty heavy...and the airplane pretty much flies itself. It was still an amazing visual...PERFECT for TV.

SECOND HUGE THOUGHT for the folks at Interference:

Vertigo Air (or whatever they are calling it) is an Air Canada Airbus A320! :up: I realized this as I was going through my photos of the first leg in the GA line yesterday.

zonelistener said:
Two notes....

On my way up to Minneapolis yesterday morning I spoke with one of our A320/A319 (I work for an airline) pilots. She had watched the coverage too. She actually said that the media had blown this a bot out of proportion, and that the A320 is actually a pretty easy plane to land on its "main" gear like that. The tail of the aircraft is actually pretty heavy...and the airplane pretty much flies itself. It was still an amazing visual...PERFECT for TV.

SECOND HUGE THOUGHT for the folks at Interference:

Vertigo Air (or whatever they are calling it) is an Air Canada Airbus A320! :up: I realized this as I was going through my photos of the first leg in the GA line yesterday.

Are you or the source minimizing the pilot's efforts???? How much credit did she give the fellow for pucker factor??? :eyebrow: Geez, he had umpteen passengers on that flight and she says that the plane "pretty much flies itself!" that's bullshit and you know it...That pilot did an extremely wonderful job; your post of her comments had no business here; unless you know it to be true, its all hearsay!

%&#!*%

Last edited:
Mr. BAW said:

Are you or the source minimizing the pilot's efforts???? How much credit did she give the fellow for pucker factor??? :eyebrow: Geez, he had umpteen passengers on that flight and she says that the plane "pretty much flies itself!" that's bullshit and you know it...That pilot did an extremely wonderful job; your post of her comments had no business here; unless you know it to be true, its all hearsay!

%&#!*%

I am NOT (nor was the pilot I spoke with) "minimizing" the JetBlue pilot's job. I realize I am not a pilot...but I do get to speak with them DAILY in the job that I do. I see these planes DAILY at my occupation. Their have been articles since that have said this has happened a number of times...without ANY media fanfare. WITHOUT CNN and MSNBC following the aircraft around the skies of LA like it was a car chase.

The joke with pilots that move from the Boeing product to the Airbus product is that (and this is a COMMON comment) the most difficult part about learning to fly the Airbus is finding exactly what position you are going to keep your arm in with the joystick.

I spoke with one of the "commuting" pilots (meaning, he lives in my area, but is based out of the hub) who recently went from Airbus back to Boeing. He told me that the Boeing's are more fun to fly because "you can feel the aircraft. The Airbus' aren't as enjoyable because of how mechanical (computerized) they are."

Yes, Rick, I am not in the cockpit, nor do I want to be. BUT, everything I have done in my life (sport, work, music, etc.) is a PASSION for me. I ask MANY questions of people. I want to learn as much as I can. I studied JOURNALISM in college. It doesn't make me an expert on anything, but it sure taught me how to be more critical of a viewer...and I know when the media is over-dramatizing a situation.

Again...as I have said before, the pilot did a good job. But, the media COMPLETELY over-dramatized the situation. IF it was such an issue...where is the media coverage now? Are they roasting Airbus Industries for faulty aircraft? No.

So if he had dumped that plane in the ocean, the pilot would be a jerk or an imbecile because "the plane was so easy to fly???"

It wasn't a car chase but it took everyone's mind off the hurricane or other life-threatening event; because it happened over Los Angeles rather than Des Moiines, it was caught on TV....LA = Media Capital of the World.

I admire your Passion for everything YOU do but this pilot did something heroic; everyone on Interference seemed to praise this guy but you and your source seemed destined to belittle his effort...I thought I knew you better but I'm wrong; you're really out there........

Mr. BAW said:
So if he had dumped that plane in the ocean, the pilot would be a jerk or an imbecile because "the plane was so easy to fly???"

It wasn't a car chase but it took everyone's mind off the hurricane or other life-threatening event; because it happened over Los Angeles rather than Des Moiines, it was caught on TV....LA = Media Capital of the World.

I admire your Passion for everything YOU do but this pilot did something heroic; everyone on Interference seemed to praise this guy but you and your source seemed destined to belittle his effort...I thought I knew you better but I'm wrong; you're really out there........

This is a real bullshit comment, Rick. I guess I thought I knew you better.

AGAIN, I am NOT saying that what he did was NOT amazing. On my flight the other day up to U2, I thought about the question everyone asks me: DO/Did you ever want to be a pilot?

The answer is no. I was always told that my eyesight is not good enough, so i never attempted to learn. What I realized the other day is that you have to have an amazing mental stability to be a pilot. To be under that type of pressure (having hundreds of lives in your hands, sometimes eight times a day) is amazing. One bad decision - and you could dumb the plane in the ocean. I realize this exposes me to many, but I know I do not have that stability. I am too excitable. ANOTHER thing I thought (I had little sleep, and nothing to read for a three hour flight)...other position that require this "mental" stability. Police officers (yes, YOU Rick)...firefighters, EMTs, etc. etc.

Now, you and I both know that there are people in these positions that really shouldn't be in these positions. The JetBlue pilot IS one of these persons who is MADE for this type of job! Again, Kudos to him.

At the same time...he was ALSO blessed with an aircraft that makes his job easier. Who WOULDN'T want that.

Now that I have said that...I want to address the LA media comment. WHY should the media go out and find some event to get our minds off of a hurricane that could potentially cause billions of dollars of damage, as well as numerous deaths? That sort of thinking (the media "creating" news to get our minds off of other things) is "out there." Media causes a lot more problems than it fixes.

And...if THE PILOT actually was able to dump the plane in the ocean...he would have been an imbecile.

Again...for the umpteenth time...I am NOT criticizing the pilot. He did a great job. He had a good aircraft to fly to enhance his great job in a tough situation...and the media WAY over did the news coverage that night (mainly because it happened in LA, and not Des Moines).

If you were the news director in a major city or even a small 10K city, would that have not been your "breaking news"?

Or if you were the News Director and knew that the Airbus could fly itself, would you have put in the second half of the show?

I guess the real issue here is the fact that your source seemed to think, "Nah, anyone could fly that machine, it flies itself! that wasn't news coverage worthy!"

Seems to me like a second-string quarterback who says anyone could have pulled it off and that's the part I don't buy and it seems to be the part that you bought into......that's my gripe...

Mr. BAW said:
Seems to me like a second-string quarterback who says anyone could have pulled it off and that's the part I don't buy and it seems to be the part that you bought into......that's my gripe...

I think you read the post wrong. That was not my intention. Maybe it is a pre-conceived notion of me you have? :wink:

The post was made to shed some light on the situation of the aircraft...showing the safety of the actual type of aircraft...to let people know that the passengers were not in as much danger as the media may have played it out to be.

I also mentioned in the post how great of a visual it was...seeing the plane land and the captain making a TEXTBOOK landing (the front gear sparking right in the center-line). I would have gone with it. :wink: I mean, there was so much potential for disaster in the eyes of the media...why not go with it? It captivated people. It kept them watching through the commercial breaks. People called others to tell them to turn it on (I was on the road and got a call...walked in my apartment and turned on CNN).

zonelistener said:

I think you read the post wrong. That was not my intention. Maybe it is a pre-conceived notion of me you have? :wink:

The post was made to shed some light on the situation of the aircraft...showing the safety of the actual type of aircraft...to let people know that the passengers were not in as much danger as the media may have played it out to be.

I also mentioned in the post how great of a visual it was...seeing the plane land and the captain making a TEXTBOOK landing (the front gear sparking right in the center-line). I would have gone with it. :wink: I mean, there was so much potential for disaster in the eyes of the media...why not go with it? It captivated people. It kept them watching through the commercial breaks. People called others to tell them to turn it on (I was on the road and got a call...walked in my apartment and turned on CN
N).

Maybe someone should have told some of these people that they really weren't in any danger.........

Primary Navigation
News HomeU.S.BusinessWorldEntertainmentSportsTechPoliticsScienceHealthMost PopularIndex
Secondary Navigation
Movies Music TV Industry Reviews Books Arts and Stage Celebrity Fashion Dear Abby Search: All News Yahoo! News Only News Photos Audio/Video Advanced

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hustle" Star Survives JetBlue Scare By Charlie Amter
Fri Sep 23, 4:37 PM ET

On almost any New York-bound plane out of the Los Angeles area, chances are a celebrity will be on board.

ADVERTISEMENT

The ill-fated JetBlue Flight 292 was no exception.

Hustle & Flow star Taryn Manning was among the 145 passengers and crew on the plane en route from Burbank's Bob Hope Airport to New York's JFK Wednesday that were forced to make an emergency landing due to defective landing gear.

"Yesterday was a life-changing day," Manning said in a statement released by her publicist Thursday. "The pilot is a true hero. I'm thankful to be alive."

In an interview with Access Hollywood, Manning said she was traveling to New York with her publicist. The actress-singer said the pilot notified the passengers early on that there was a problem and the plane would have to land at Los Angeles International Airport.

"You never think it is going to happen to you," she said. "I wrote little notes to my boyfriend and to my mom and brother...I was not wanting to be writing what I was writing. Everybody was putting their IDs on them. It was scary."

Manning was not the only Hollywood type on board. Actress Joanna Going (Into the West, Inventing the Abbotts), who is the wife of Nip/Tuck star Dylan Walsh, and their young daughter, Stella, were also en route to Manhattan, as was One Life to Live actor Tuc Watkins. He plans to recount his harrowing experience on The View Friday.

Earlier reports claimed Manning's Hustle costar DJ Qualls and Nip/Tuck's Kelly Carlson (Kimber) were also passengers on the hobbled jet, but both Qualls' publicist and reps for Carlson told E! Thursday their clients were not on board. Qualls, however, was at the airport, where he met Manning.

In a drama that played out live on television across the United States Wednesday afternoon, the Airbus A320 jet circled the skies of Southern California before touching down at LAX with a front wheel facing the wrong direction.

Manning and the other passengers had access to MSNBC and Fox News via JetBlue's in-flight TVs, with many watching their plane and hearing various commentators predicting the outcome of the emergency landing. The sets went dark about 15 minutes before the plane descended.

"We couldn't believe the irony, that we were watching our own demise on TV--it was post-postmodern," passenger Alexandra Jacobs, a Los Angeles-based reporter for the New York Observer told CNN.

Because the plane needed to land nose up, the crew ushered passengers and their carry-ons to the rear of the plane. Passengers had to assume the crash position, head between knees, as the A320 made its final approach. One flight attendant yelled, "Brace! Brace! Brace!"

The pilot, Scott Burke, made a textbook landing on a cleared-out runway surrounded by emergency vehicles.

Manning tells Access Hollywood she has newfound "compassion for anyone who has ever had to go through anything so terrifying."

(Updated Sept. 23, 2005, at 10:45 a.m. PT.)

Email Story IM Story Discuss Printable View RECOMMEND THIS STORY
Recommend It:

Average (239 votes)
» Recommended Stories

zonelistener said:
OH...and to mention that this is the type of aircraft U2 is currently using...

So...............wouldn't matter to me if it was a hot air balloon, the pilot did a fantastic job putting it down.....that's my point! and I'm not changing my mind. End.

ACCESS HOLLYWOOD

The article actually quotes access hollywood. There is NOTHING more disgustiing in this world than "celebrity news". Do I need to say anymore?

Are we done here? Do you really think I am still out there? I really think you are over-reading into my posts here...or arguing for the sake of arguing here, rick.

Mr. BAW said:

So...............wouldn't matter to me if it was a hot air balloon, the pilot did a fantastic job putting it down.....that's my point! and I'm not changing my mind. End.

:lol:

Not trying to change your mind on that.

I am taking offense to you calling me out on something we agree on. But I am adding to the overall story.

Back
Top Bottom