L.A. area turn on the news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First Officer (aka F.O.) Davis should know that the west bound (asia) departures should have left by know - unless he is talking about the cargo planes.

The East bound (Trans Atlantic) should also be well on their way.

:huh:

i saw the landing on tv live on larry king too.
looked like a picture perfect landing to me.
minus the tire bursting into flames and the little problem with the landing gear.
made for a riveting hour of on the edge of your seat tv.
glad everyone on board was ok. :up:

i'm going to go watch 'invasion' now :wave:

yeah zoney, he was. 32 years with continental. flew mostly 727's and md80's.
i'm curious if he watched this landing or not, he usually likes to watch larry king too.

ABEL said:
yeah zoney, he was. 32 years with continental. flew mostly 727's and md80's.
i'm curious if he watched this landing or not, he usually likes to watch larry king too.

Thanks ABEL..I have wondered for a while...ever since you mentioned he was a pilot! :D

Enjoy Invasion.

story.landing2.jpg
....wow.

That was the single greatest landing of an aircraft I have EVER seen. Absolutely textbook.

It's hard enough just to land a plane normally in Flight Simulator let alone in real life with a busted gear.

:applaud:

A little late on this but here is my perspective since I live and work in Long Beach. And, I live directly on the west side of the Long Beach Airport. :yikes:

We saw the place circling for quite a while. It took me over a half hour to drive my 3 miles home because all the streets I travel on border the airport.

Let me tell you though, I saw Long Beach's finest out there and the scene on the tarmac at the airport was incredible. At the time I drove by they were still trying to figure out which airport to land at.

All in all, an amazing landing. I got home and watched it, wondering who else was too.

I have travelled Jet Blue to Oakland and to DC from Long Beach. And I would still fly them today. That pilot was incredible! :applaud:

We started watching this at the airport, waiting for our flight home :yikes:

(still at the Portland airport, btw. Free WiFi) :D :wave:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
My heart was beating very fast. It was scary to watch, I can't imagine what it was like to be a passenger. :crack:

Yeah, we're sitting in Portland, Oregon airport waiting to board a plane and that's on the news...imagine how we felt...:yikes:

We're home a day early due to my pain...but we're home safely, that JetBluye Pilot deserves an award..:applaud:

:mad:

Is this something you started while at school?

I mean...I haven't heard this.

:mad:

:uhoh: I bet I get to see more landings :uhoh:

:D :wink: :p

[/joking pissing match]

Mr. BAW said:

Yeah, we're sitting in Portland, Oregon airport waiting to board a plane and that's on the news...imagine how we felt...:yikes:

We're home a day early due to my pain...but we're home safely, that JetBluye Pilot deserves an award..:applaud:

my first thought was of you guys when i heard about the plane. i knew you were on vacation, didn't know when you were coming back, or which airline. then i heard the plane was en route to new york i breathed a sigh of relief.

:hug: mr. baw hope you feel better soon!

All I have to say is WOW! After hearing about this news here I turned on my TV last night to see the coverage. That pilot sure needs to be commemorated and congratulated! What an awesome job bringing that plane to a safe landing! And for the folks and agencies on the ground being prepared for anything to happen! Glad to hear this kind of a story on the news for a change when it has a positive outcome! :up:

"Hustle" Stars Survive JetBlue Scare

:yikes:

On almost any New York-bound plane out of the Los Angeles area, chances are a celebrity will be on board.

The ill-fated JetBlue Flight 292 was no exception.

Hustle & Flow stars Taryn Manning and DJ Qualls were among the 145 passengers and crew on the plane en route from Burbank's Bob Hope Airport to New York's JFK Wednesday that was forced to make an emergency landing due to defective landing gear.

"Yesterday was a life changing day," Manning said in a statement released by her publicist Thursday. "The pilot is a true hero. I'm thankful to be alive."

In an interview with Access Hollywood, Manning said she, Qualls and her publicist were heading to New York to promote Hustle & Flow. The actress-singer said the pilot notified the passengers early on that there was a problem and the plane would have to land at Los Angeles International Airport.

"You never think it’s going to happen to you," she said. "I wrote little notes to my boyfriend and to my mom and brother...I was not wanting to be writing what I was writing. Everybody was putting their IDs on them. It was scary."

Manning and Qualls were not the only Hollywood types on board. One Life to Live actor Tuc Watkins was heading to New York. He plans to recount his harrowing experience on The View Friday.

Early reports claimed that Nip/Tuck star Kelly Carlson (Kimber) was also a passenger on the hobbled jet, but FX tells E! she was not on the flight.

In a drama that played out live on television across the United States Wednesday afternoon, the Airbus A320 jet circled the skies of Southern California before touching down at LAX with a front wheel facing the wrong direction..

Manning, Qualls and the other passengers had access to MSNBC and Fox News via JetBlue's in-flight TVs, with many watching their plane and hearing various commentators predicting the outcome of the emergency landing. The sets went dark about 15 minutes before the plane descended.

"We couldn't believe the irony, that we were watching our own demise on TV--it was post-post-modern," passenger Alexandra Jacobs, a reporter for the New York Observer told CNN.

Because the plane needed to land nose up, the crew ushered passengers and their carry-ons to the rear of the plane. Passengers had to assume the crash position, head between knees, as the Airbus made its final approach. One flight attendant yelled, "Brace! Brace! Brace!"

The pilot, Scott Burke, made a textbook landing on a cleared-out runway, surrounded by emergency vehicles. Qualls was later spotted milling about with fellow passengers, who were shuttled to the main terminal and rerouted to New York.

For her part, Manning tells Access Hollywood she has newfound "compassion for anyone who has ever had to go through anything so terrifying."

Back
Top Bottom