Khan, Rajasthan, India Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, well, I wasn't sure if it was just personal taste that led me to say it was mindblowing, as Pixar (who I have a deep respect for, as they've advanced animation in ways that I did not previously believe possible) is certainly miles ahead technically, and Looney Tunes utilized the same techniques that artists have been using for years. There's just something extremely appealing about the look of the characters. I'm fascinated by expression, and how the most minor raise of the eyebrow can make such a difference; it's the part that I focus on with my own cartoons.

Oh, Pixar do a fabulous job, no doubt - and of course anything done in the 00's is going to be more technically advanced than something done in the 40's. But the thing about CGi is that I find it's too restricting. You can draw a great Daffy Duck frame in 15 seconds that doesn't look like anything else, like a lot of frames in classic cartoons are, or you could work on a computer generated fish model for two weeks and it's going to look pretty much the same in every frame. But I think Pixar do a better job at CGI than any other studio - certainly better than Dreamworks, who have a really erratic and unappealing style to me.

Right mel, now that I've finished watching all those cartoons nearest and dearest to my heart, I'm watching the great Piggy Bank Robbery. I remember this being a favorite when I was little.

I used Neon Noodle as a name on another forum for a while. Actually, if I start a band, I'll probably name it after one of the bad guys in that cartoon.

Ooh, shoegaze.

But yeah, joyfulness? I need doom and death. RAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Yeah. Exactly why you'll hate it. The Axver does not tap his toes. Nor does he shake his hips. He simply lets himself go, in a viking-esque manner.

Right mel, now that I've finished watching all those cartoons nearest and dearest to my heart, I'm watching the great Piggy Bank Robbery. I remember this being a favorite when I was little.

I love how layered the humor is. Every single object onscreen is utilized for a joke, whether it be picking up the footprint, or stretching out his neck for the "long distance" telephone.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a student when watching these cartoons. :lol:

Yeah. Exactly why you'll hate it. The Axver does not tap his toes. Nor does he shake his hips. He simply lets himself go, in a viking-esque manner.

Yeah, why tap my toes or shake my hips when I can pillage an entire coastal English town?

I love how layered the humor is. Every single object onscreen is utilized for a joke, whether it be picking up the footprint, or stretching out his neck for the "long distance" telephone.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a student when watching these cartoons. :lol:

Ok. When you mentioned the dead bodies, I remembered them, but didn't remember the fact that that actually used to really scare/at least unnerve me when I was little.

Oh man, I just love them so much for references in stuff. I've told at least three different teachers in high school when something they were talking about was referenced in looney tunes cartoons. The big one being the Abominable Snowman being a reference to Of Mice and Men.

Oh, Pixar do a fabulous job, no doubt - and of course anything done in the 00's is going to be more technically advanced than something done in the 40's. But the thing about CGi is that I find it's too restricting. You can draw a great Daffy Duck frame in 15 seconds that doesn't look like anything else, like a lot of frames in classic cartoons are, or you could work on a computer generated fish model for two weeks and it's going to look pretty much the same in every frame. But I think Pixar do a better job at CGI than any other studio - certainly better than Dreamworks, who have a really erratic and unappealing style to me.

I completely agree on the Dreamworks front. It's so secondhand. The characters are rarely imaginative visually, and it doesn't help that they always seem to be one step behind Pixar in the area of original plots.

Don't worry, I got the gist of them! I'll bookmark your site in the meantime.

Cool. I'm working on some new episodes right now, which would put me around #81. One involves the kids being sent to military school to learn what being patriotic really means after voting without being registered. The principal of the military school turns out to a senile Cold War-era relic who hoards mass amounts of weaponry. He leads the kids to take down a rival school because he believes they're Communists. Guest Star: Soulja Boy, who is used as proof of the eternal value of the Second Amendment.

I've said before that I will never ever love digital animation the way I love real animation. But I did finally give my Dreamworks rant once when I was drunk. There's just no heart in their cartoons. The throw them out of the studio at least three or four times a year, whereas you're lucky to get one Pixar cartoon in a year. Pixar just puts so much time and effort into their cartoons, and they turn out being something really special. Though I may not like Ratiwhosiwhatsits or Cars for the fact that I don't find them believable (that says something about Pixar, when I say that I can find the likes of Toy Story and Monster's Inc. Believable) still, they're better than anything Dreamworks can bring to the table. Of the eleventy bajillion Dreamworks cartoons out there I only like TWO. TWO! And I am an avid fan of cartoons. That's failure right there.

Yeah, why tap my toes or shake my hips when I can pillage an entire coastal English town?

But then you've the trouble of getting all that booty. And we all know that shaking-hips pillage booty.

Oh hey guys, I just remembered something. I'm meant to tell you all that Axver went to get dinner...

I've said before that I will never ever love digital animation the way I love real animation. But I did finally give my Dreamworks rant once when I was drunk. There's just no heart in their cartoons. The throw them out of the studio at least three or four times a year, whereas you're lucky to get one Pixar cartoon in a year. Pixar just puts so much time and effort into their cartoons, and they turn out being something really special. Though I may not like Ratiwhosiwhatsits or Cars for the fact that I don't find them believable (that says something about Pixar, when I say that I can find the likes of Toy Story and Monster's Inc. Believable) still, they're better than anything Dreamworks can bring to the table. Of the eleventy bajillion Dreamworks cartoons out there I only like TWO. TWO! And I am an avid fan of cartoons. That's failure right there.

I haven't seen Ratatouille or Cars yet. I like Finding Nemo a lot, hell, I've probably seen it about 10 times. That's my favourite Pixar movie. But I don't remember being impressed by any Dreamworks movies. Madagascar was atrociously bad. The first Ice Age I seem to remember being okay, but that was a long time ago when I saw it. They just rely too much on pop culture references and celebrity voice actors. I wish they took voice acting seriously - if Looney Tunes were like Dreamworks, they'd probably get Buster Keaton to do Mel Blanc's work. Keaton, of course, chosen because he was pretty washed up by the forties and nobody cared about him - just as nobody cares about the celebrities Dreamworks use.

I haven't seen Ratatouille or Cars yet. I like Finding Nemo a lot, hell, I've probably seen it about 10 times. That's my favourite Pixar movie. But I don't remember being impressed by any Dreamworks movies. Madagascar was atrociously bad. The first Ice Age I seem to remember being okay, but that was a long time ago when I saw it. They just rely too much on pop culture references and celebrity voice actors. I wish they took voice acting seriously - if Looney Tunes were like Dreamworks, they'd probably get Buster Keaton to do Mel Blanc's work. Keaton, of course, chosen because he was pretty washed up by the forties and nobody cared about him - just as nobody cares about the celebrities Dreamworks use.

The two I like are Shrek (just the first one) and Kung-Fu Panda. And I think both of them get away with being Dreamworks films simply because I adore their respective soundtracks. Trying to sell a CARTOON on the voice cast is just an atrocious idea. Mel Blanc. The end. One guys, did it all. So, yeah I get what you're saying.

I have to watch this Duck Pimples you posted, Ashley. I'm really not used to Disney cartoons, in fact they're probably the only main animation studio from that time I haven't completely explored (outside of their main features), funnily enough. Anyone here like old Felix cartoons? They're really, really surreal. Also, one of my very favourite cartoons:

YouTube - Swing You Sinners! (1930)

And I think my favourite Looney Tunes would have to be Book Revue. I don't know if it's online.

Yep, the best cartoons have always utilized a handful of talented voice actors, versus a slew of celebrities who only have their wallet and multiple other engagements on the brain.

I have to watch this Duck Pimples you posted, Ashley. I'm really not used to Disney cartoons, in fact they're probably the only main animation studio from that time I haven't completely explored (outside of their main features), funnily enough. Anyone here like old Felix cartoons? They're really, really surreal. Also, one of my very favourite cartoons:

YouTube - Swing You Sinners! (1930)

And I think my favourite Looney Tunes would have to be Book Revue. I don't know if it's online.

I really love Disney's Silly Symphonies. Those were beautiful. If you're up for watching some stuff, I've got lots of things I'd love to link you to. Disney, really though, you've got to stick to their old stuff, it's all so brilliant to me.

I'll check this out in a moment.

If that's one of them where the books come to life, I have to say again your taste is great. Those are some of my favorite cartoons, the ones where all the little characters from books hop out and have to fight other books or something. There are a few cartoons like that.

So, I've heard tons of great things about MGMT. I'm listening to their album now. It's okay.

I really think there's just something about the slightly off kilter cartoons that I love more than anything. Here's another favorite of mine that I was having a hard time finding. If you don't feel like watching it, I'll tell you basically Bug and Elmer end up growing old, and bury themselves alive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B1weukma2o

90e12260.jpg

Daffy is borderline psychotic in that one. I :heart: him.

Oh one more thing, about Felix? I've been meaning to look for an old Felix cartoon that was a favorite when I was little. It was either about Santa or Old King Cole...but it was just creepy weird.

I really think there's just something about the slightly off kilter cartoons that I love more than anything. Here's another favorite of mine that I was having a hard time finding. If you don't feel like watching it, I'll tell you basically Bug and Elmer end up growing old, and bury themselves alive:

YouTube - The Old Grey Hare

Great choice! Haven't seen it in a while, so I might watch it now. And on the little sideline bit they have Stage Door Cartoon, which is probably my favourite Friz Freleng cartoon, really gaggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom