Kentucky Derby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone just watch the Belmont Stakes??? How sad. :sad: Big Brown's jockey did the right thing for sure, but what a disappointment. I had goosebumps the whole time! But on the other hand, what an amazing race ran by the winner...he had the lead the whole time!

Considering all the crap Big Brown's trainer was spewing about how badly he was going to trounce the rest of the field, I was delighted to see him low.

Did anyone just watch the Belmont Stakes??? How sad. :sad: Big Brown's jockey did the right thing for sure, but what a disappointment. I had goosebumps the whole time! But on the other hand, what an amazing race ran by the winner...he had the lead the whole time!

we went to our local track and bet on the race...My Hubby had both dead heat horses to show so he won $ on both show bets...I had the 2nd place horse across the board, so I won a little $ too....we made those bets cause we were sure Big Brown would win...so I am sad he didn't....the trainer in the after race interviews says the horse is not injured which is good, they do not know what may have gone wrong

I only know this from what was reported on ESPN radio...when the trainer of Big Brown was asked if he had given the horse his monthly STEROID shot, the trainer answered, "No, he didn't need it!"

Makes us think AGAIN about that issue...

I did not see the race but I've tivo'd it for later tonight.

how sad that big brown didn't win the triple crown and make history, there must have been something badly wrong with him like his cracked hoof maybe. and how exciting that race was and i hardly ever watch horse racing.

for all the people out there who proclaimed that there was no chance in hell that big brown could lose, including his fat sweaty trainer...

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

... there is a reason why no one's won the triple crown in 31 years. the first two legs are hard, and the belmont is probably harder than the first two combined. there was nothing wrong with big brown. he just wasn't the best horse on this particular day.

why? :shrug: who knows. it's a horse. he coulda had a bad bag of oats and the morning and just didn't feel like going that hard today. he ain't mr. ed, so you just do not know, and never will. was he the best horse on paper? absolutely. but even the best human athletes don't always win, for whatever the reasons... here we're talking about a horse. he very well coulda just said "ya know what, it's 90 degrees out, fuck this... i ain't runnin' hard."

for all the people out there who proclaimed that there was no chance in hell that big brown could lose, including his fat sweaty trainer...

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

... there is a reason why no one's won the triple crown in 31 years. the first two legs are hard, and the belmont is probably harder than the first two combined. there was nothing wrong with big brown. he just wasn't the best horse on this particular day.

why? :shrug: who knows. it's a horse. he coulda had a bad bag of oats and the morning and just didn't feel like going that hard today. he ain't mr. ed, so you just do not know, and never will. was he the best horse on paper? absolutely. but even the best human athletes don't always win, for whatever the reasons... here we're talking about a horse. he very well coulda just said "ya know what, it's 90 degrees out, fuck this... i ain't runnin' hard."
so true :lol:

btw... the attendance at the belmont yesterday was 96,000+, 4th highest all time... but still a disapointment in my eyes considering that it was a new york trainer, an absolutely beautiful day, and a hugely hyped event.

2004 remains the largest belmont crowd at 120,000+ people... the year smarty jones went to the belmont. it's also the last time i went to the belmont. the previous 3 years have been 60,000 or less.

the main difference between now and then? following the 2004 belmont the NYRA eliminated the long standing "bring your own beer" rules. now you have to buy your alcohol just like any other sporting event. if they still had the BYOB rule in place they would have drawn 150,000 yesterday.

Over 90 degrees and humid is not exactly what I would call a beautiful day, but maybe that's just me.

the humidity was not as bad as they made it out to be... i wasn't at belmont but i was only about 10 or so miles away. hot, yes. humid, yea, but not stifling.

they got 120,000 people when smarty jones went for the triple crown in 2004 and it was rainy and overcast all day. :shrug:

i'm a little bitter at the belmont... it was an awesome time. one of the few things that you could go to and not have to spend an arm and a leg to enjoy, because they obviously wanted you to spent your money betting. but they did a piss poor job in 2004 of having the proper facilities and security for such a huge crowd... so instead of just adding things, they changed the rules. in 2004 it was 2 bucks to get in, and you could bring your own food and beverages. if they had those same rules in place they would have gotten 150,000+ yesterday.

:shrug: ah who cares.

Big Brown's trainer is one of the most egotistical people I have ever seen, hes now flapping his mouth blaming the rider, that rider has almost won the Triple Crown in the past I think the rider knows what hes doing. If the guy was more of a class act I would feel worse for them but he wont race Big Brown in the Breeders because he knows Curlin would destroy that horse.

Back
Top Bottom